COUNCILLORS in Pill, Newport, are set to demand answers as to why an “iconic structure” was pulled down two weeks ago without anyone being told.
Pillgwenlly ward councillors Ibraham Hayat and Ron Jones say they have still not been given an explanation as to why the much-loved slide in the local park was removed The two councillors will be asking the reason at a Newport Labour party meeting on Monday.
Cllr Hayat said: “There will be many senior council officials there and we need to find out exactly why it was taken down, who authorised it, the reasons and if there are any alternatives being planned.
“The children need facilities like that and it was an iconic structure.
“We aim to get the full facts as rumours are spreading and no-one knows what exactly is going on.”
We reported last week why the slide, installed 30 years ago and used by generations of Pill youngsters, was taken down by Newport council who said it no longer met EU safety regulations.
Hundreds of people have since taken to websites Pillgwenlly Past Present and Pill Pulse to vent their anger that a cherished part of their childhood has been removed without warning.
These include Robert Taylor who wrote: “My childhood memories gone”
and Helen Roche who said: “It’s just wrong our kids won’t have any of the lovely memories we have.”
Others include Kieran Stewart, who now lives in London, but grew up in Pill. He wrote to his local councillors, saying: “I was surprised to find out that the (EU) regulation in question – BS EN 1176 – has been in force since 1999. This is not new legislation so I’m unclear as to why it has been removed now. The number of play areas for children in Pill have decreased in the past 20 years from six to two.”
Cllrs Jones and Hayat plan to quiz officials about the decision and EU legislation on Monday.