Newport Capitol car park demolition
Updated 4:44pm Wednesday 5th March 2014 in Gwent news
Enable automatic updates every 30 seconds? YES NO
- Pictures and video of the big demolition of Newport landmark
- Stills and video of today's big bang
- Join in on Twitter using #bigbang
Here is the footage of the demolition as recorded live from earlier this morning:
Now in slow motion:
The demolition was welcomed by a senior Newport councillor as a major step in the redevelopment of Newport city centre.
Councillor Ken Critchley, Newport council cabinet member for infrastructure, said: “The removal of the car park represents a significant stage in the demolition programme.
“Construction of the eagerly awaited Friars Walk leisure and retail development will begin shortly.”
More video of this morning's demolition:
Crowds gasp as Newport car park is reduced to rubble
ARGUS reporter Andy Rutherford joined crowds of Newport folk who had gathered to watch this morning's demolition of Newport's Capitol car park. More
We also understand a drunk man tried and failed to get into the demolition site last night.
Mark Wallace, operations manager for Specialist Security, said a drunk had tried to climb into the site on Saturday night.
“Our guard was quite able to deal with the situation,” he said, saying that the man was moved on.
IT TOOK more than 30 kilograms of explosives and two weeks of preparation – but in six seconds this Newport city centre eyesore was gone. More
Here is the footage of the demolition:
Also here on YouTube:
Here's the demolition in still pictures:
And then it was gone:
RT @ArgusRutherford: #bigbang Hopefully this REALLY marks the start of the Friars Walk project. http://t.co/5HNtsrG7Ft— @ndwebb 12 January 2014
Apologies to people who missed the demolition - we were never given a precise time for the event.
Cuddy say they're happy with the way it went - now the job of clearing away starts
Oh my word - that was awesome!!!! View the footage here if you couldn't make it, but that was one Big Bang!!
Here it is again:
Now saying 8.30am for demolition
Ellis is from Blackwood and his dad works with a client of demolition contractor Cuddy.
We've also been told that 13 year-old Ellis Moore will have the honour of pressing the button.
A Cuddy spokesperson told us the explosives will be placed across six floors of the car park.
We're being told we'll going to the viewing point at 8.30 with the demolition happening at 9am.
For those waiting for live coverage, we're all at the Newport Centre now waiting to go to the footbridge over the Usk for the demolition.
There are 750 drill holes each with a charge in them. 35 kg of explosives will be used.
Lots of people in hi-viz vests grabbing a coffee at the Newport Centre before the big event:
Looks like it's going to be a beautiful morning for a demolition - threatened rain hasn't turned up.
Live coverage will be streamed here:
We will bring you live coverage from 7.30am when the Newport landmark is destroyed by explosives as part of the city is demolished to make way for the Friars Walk development.
We will bring you the build-up as the expected crowds gather, details of the operation and pictures and video of the demolition.
You can join in too - use the hashtag #bigbang on Twitter to tell us what you think or send us pictures.
This is what it looks like now:
Comments are closed on this article.