NEWPORT West MP Paul Flynn has condemned the decision to house a violent gang leader from London in Newport, which he said is being used as a “dumping ground”.

Mr Flynn has written to the Home Secretary Theresa May to highlight the “anger and outrage” sparked by the relocation of Joland Giwa – general of Croydon’s largest criminal gang, Don’t Say Nothing.

As revealed by the Argus yesterday, Giwa has been ordered to live at York Place, Newport, after being released from immigration detention following an unsuccessful three-month bid to deport him.

In the letter Mt Flynn wrote: “Understandably there is deep outrage and anger that a man described as a 'dangerous criminal' and a ‘serious threat to the public and young people’ has been transferred to a residential address in the heart of urban Newport.

“This person presents a problem for London and the rest of England. What was the process that determined that he, and the danger he represents, should be re-located to Wales and Newport.

“If unpalatable decisions are unavoidable, London should be responsible for its own problems and not seek to dump them on Wales and Newport.”

Speaking earlier today he also questioned what other areas were considered and what consultations were held with Newport representatives.

“As far as I am aware there was no consultation, and I am sure John Griffiths AM, Rosemary Butler AM and Jessica Morden MP are in the same position,” Mr Flynn added.

“I can’t think of a worse place to put him than in a residential area.

“These people abuse our hospitality and break our laws. There should be no case for him to stay.

“It is a foolish judgement which has seen him dumped on Wales and Newport, when such problems are nothing to do them.

“I understand the law dictates it is difficult to deport him, but you want to see justice with some common sense.”

Mr Flynn is now set to raise the issue at the Home Affairs Committee, and chair Keith Vaz MP, on Tuesday.

Giwa – whose street name is Dexter- had been in immigration detention for more than four years after completing a 27-month prison term for two convicted robberies.

On October 22, 2013, High Court Judge John Keyser rejected a legal bid from Joland Giwa, 24, for freedom on the grounds he posed a "significant risk" of reoffending.

But Judge Keyser ruled it would be illegal to detain Giwa beyond the following three months amid a struggle to prove his true nationality.

Unable to deport him in the three months given, the Home Office were forced to release the gang member and bail was granted in December, on condition he live and sleep at the Newport address.

A Home Office spokesman said: "We vigorously opposed this individual's application for bail and we are very disappointed by the court's decision.

"He will be subject to rigorous monitoring, including an electronic tag, and we are continuing to fight for his removal from the UK."

In March 2011 Giwa was transferred to the high security Belmarsh prison, after intelligence suggested he was involved in an operation, said to be run by the DSN gang, smuggling drugs into the detention centre.

Key DSN gang members were jailed during 2008 and 2009 after a year-long operation by a Metropolitan Police gangs unit led by Sergeant Darin [CORR] Birmingham, who said: "Joland Giwa is a serious threat to the public and other young people.

“It is well known on the streets of Croydon that he has been charged with numerous offences but witnesses will not assist at court or pursuing allegations through fear.”

In a video posted on YouTube which was shown in court, made when Giwa was 15 or 16-years-old, the gang boss boasts: “I’m a bad boy. I’ve shanked a man in the ******* head. I’ve shanked a man in the neck.

“DSNG I am the ******* General.”

Giwa, who was jailed for a string of robberies, has no identity documents but says he is from Sierra Leone.

However, Sierra Leone refuses to recognise him as a national and maintains he is Nigerian, a claim which is refuted by Nigeria.

Giwa and his twin brother arrived in the UK on a flight from Nigeria in 1999, aged ten. They flew without a guardian and their parents are believed to be dead.

Giwa's' convictions include handling stolen goods, robbery, and theft.

According to the bail conditions, Giwa must report to the UK Border Agency in Cardiff twice every week.