Paedophile Ian Watkins in appeal bid
5:54pm Thursday 23rd January 2014 in Gwent news
FORMER Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins, who was handed a 35-year sentence for a string of child sex offences, has lodged an application for permission to appeal.
The Court of Appeal move by the disgraced rock star, whose sentence is made up of a custodial term of 29 years and a further six years on licence, was confirmed by the Judicial Office today.
Watkins, 36, was sentenced at Cardiff Crown Court last month.
He confessed to 13 offences and was described as a committed and determined paedophile.
His two accomplices, Woman A and Woman B, were jailed for 14 years and 16 years respectively.
After sexually touching a groupie's 11-month-old baby, Watkins tried to have penetrative sex with the child. He also encouraged a second fan to abuse her child during a webcam chat and secretly stashed child porn videos, some of which he had made himself.
Trial judge Mr Justice Royce told Watkins: "Those who have appeared in these courts over many years see a large number of horrific cases. This case, however, breaks new ground.
"I am satisfied that you are a deeply corrupting influence, you are highly manipulative, you are a sexual predator, you are dangerous. The public and, in particular, young females need protection from you."
Watkins was told that he will have to serve two-thirds of the custodial term before he can be considered for release by the Parole Board.
Comments are closed on this article.