Judge slams 'unbelievable' charge against teen attacker who left victim without eye

ATTACKED: Christopher Collins

HORRIFIC INJURIES: Christopher Collins lost his eye after the attack on Stow Hill in Newport

SPORTSMAN: Christopher Collins with the City of Newport Archers

First published in Gwent news
Last updated
South Wales Argus: Photograph of the Author by , South Wales Argus reporter

A TEENAGER whose punch left a Newport man without his eye was sentenced to three years behind bars, as the judge hearing the case criticised the Crown Prosecution Service for limiting his sentencing powers.

Jay Lloyd,18 of Cedar Drive, Rogerstone, appeared in Newport Crown Court yesterday after pleading guilty to a charge of unlawful wounding against Christopher Collins.

A 15-year-old, who cannot be named but was charged with common assault during the same incident, was handed a six-month referral order in the juvenile court last month.

Prosecutor David Webster told the court how on New Year’s Eve Mr Collins, 54, had gone to Baneswell Social Club with his wife and two adult daughters. A taxi arrived to take the family home but when there wasn’t enough room, Mr Collins offered to walk.

While walking up Stow Hill he passed a group of five young men, one of whom claimed he had bumped into him. Mr Collins apologised and walked on but was told by the 15-year-old, “you can’t just walk away”. Another man, Lloyd joined his friend and as Mr Collins turned to go he felt a “tremendous pain to the right side of his face.”

Mr Webster said: “He was utterly helpless.”

He fell to his hands and knees and tried to get out of the middle of the road before managing to call his wife for help.

Lloyd’s single blow fractured Mr Collins cheek and caused his eyeball to rupture, injuries Mr Webster described as “truly devastating”.

Mr Collins underwent surgery to insert a metal plate in his cheek and a second operation to remove his eyeball.

“The psychological effect of this violent attack has been so traumatic that he no longer feels comfortable outside his own home,” said Mr Webster.

Lloyd's previous convictions include a violent assault and a theft both in 2010, and he was on a youth rehabilitation order when this took place.

Judge Thomas Crowther called the charge of wounding “unbelievable” and asked why the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) had not thought it necessary to appoint a jury to decide whether Lloyd had intended to cause really serious harm.

He said: “I make no criticism of the police because I know they charge what the CPS authorise them to. But it seems to me this is a case in which not only the victim, but also the wider public, may well think my options are inadequate as a result of that vital charging decision.”

He requested a written explanation from the CPS.

The court heard how Lloyd had seen a post on Facebook detailing what has happened to Mr Collins, a few days after the incident and on January 8, Lloyd handed himself in at Newport police station.

Meirion Davies, mitigating, said: “He is clearly a man who is profoundly remorseful.”

Judge Crowther said: “You inflicted grievous bodily harm and it is on that basis you will be sentenced.

“You accepted you had a very hard punch – it seems to be a matter of pride to you. You are a danger to the public and people who you may chance upon.

“The harm was serious. As to culpability, you were a member of a gang and the victim was outnumbered. You used your fist on a man who was walking away and unable to defend himself. There is no one to blame in this case but you.”

Lloyd’s early guilty plea was given full credit and he was sentenced to three years, half of which will be served in custody and the other half on release on license.

Comments (37)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:58am Sat 22 Feb 14

Cymru Am Beth says...

Once again, the Criminal Justice System has failed miserably with this miserly sentence.
This chap has lost an eye for gods sake.
I think that an eye for an eye would have been a better result.
'His early guilty plea was given full credit'.
Why do we give people a reduced sentence for admitting their guilt?
They should be given a full sentence for admitting their guilt and double the sentence if they plead not guilty and are subsequently found guilty.
The system as usual is weighted in favour of the criminal.
I would be absolutely livid if I were Mr Collins.
If this happened in America for example, he would have probably got 10 years minimum, and a much harsher incarceration than would ever get here.
Soft on crime and the causes of crime.
Absolutely pathetic.
Once again, the Criminal Justice System has failed miserably with this miserly sentence. This chap has lost an eye for gods sake. I think that an eye for an eye would have been a better result. 'His early guilty plea was given full credit'. Why do we give people a reduced sentence for admitting their guilt? They should be given a full sentence for admitting their guilt and double the sentence if they plead not guilty and are subsequently found guilty. The system as usual is weighted in favour of the criminal. I would be absolutely livid if I were Mr Collins. If this happened in America for example, he would have probably got 10 years minimum, and a much harsher incarceration than would ever get here. Soft on crime and the causes of crime. Absolutely pathetic. Cymru Am Beth
  • Score: 84

10:24am Sat 22 Feb 14

Dai Rear says...

As I said when Lloyd was committed there was adequate evidence to go to a jury on a S18. Obviously the attack was pre-meditated. The blow was not struck in the heat of the moment. From these a jury might well infer intention to cause really serious bodily harm-S18 Offences Against The Person Act; the maximum sentence for this is life, and guidelines would have suggested the Judge could have given him 6 after a trial. If he'd been acquitted of the Section 18 he'd still have pleaded to or been convicted of the Section 20 and got his 3 years. Want to know why this file wasn't reviewed properly? Look at their "management team". 3 out of the 6 aren't even lawyers. One who is a lawyer, apparently the bottom of the pecking order, doesn't actually appear to do court work. The lady does "complex" stuff so not this end of the market and the Chief will be mostly in meetings for it is only through attending them that you get noticed and promoted. So, serious decisions are left to underlings?
As I said when Lloyd was committed there was adequate evidence to go to a jury on a S18. Obviously the attack was pre-meditated. The blow was not struck in the heat of the moment. From these a jury might well infer intention to cause really serious bodily harm-S18 Offences Against The Person Act; the maximum sentence for this is life, and guidelines would have suggested the Judge could have given him 6 after a trial. If he'd been acquitted of the Section 18 he'd still have pleaded to or been convicted of the Section 20 and got his 3 years. Want to know why this file wasn't reviewed properly? Look at their "management team". 3 out of the 6 aren't even lawyers. One who is a lawyer, apparently the bottom of the pecking order, doesn't actually appear to do court work. The lady does "complex" stuff so not this end of the market and the Chief will be mostly in meetings for it is only through attending them that you get noticed and promoted. So, serious decisions are left to underlings? Dai Rear
  • Score: -21

12:04pm Sat 22 Feb 14

Jonnytrouble says...

Cymru Am Beth wrote:
Once again, the Criminal Justice System has failed miserably with this miserly sentence.
This chap has lost an eye for gods sake.
I think that an eye for an eye would have been a better result.
'His early guilty plea was given full credit'.
Why do we give people a reduced sentence for admitting their guilt?
They should be given a full sentence for admitting their guilt and double the sentence if they plead not guilty and are subsequently found guilty.
The system as usual is weighted in favour of the criminal.
I would be absolutely livid if I were Mr Collins.
If this happened in America for example, he would have probably got 10 years minimum, and a much harsher incarceration than would ever get here.
Soft on crime and the causes of crime.
Absolutely pathetic.
Quote...
Lloyd's previous convictions include a violent assault and a theft both in 2010, and he was on a youth rehabilitation order when this took place.....

Clearly it goes to show that these type of people that should have been
' caged with the key thrown away ' just do it again, in this case an innocent man has been harmed physically and mentally, our system is a disgrace compared to the USA....
I wonder if that ' do gooder ' br596799314 that comments on here will have a say, most probably usual rubbish of support for the guilty ?
[quote][p][bold]Cymru Am Beth[/bold] wrote: Once again, the Criminal Justice System has failed miserably with this miserly sentence. This chap has lost an eye for gods sake. I think that an eye for an eye would have been a better result. 'His early guilty plea was given full credit'. Why do we give people a reduced sentence for admitting their guilt? They should be given a full sentence for admitting their guilt and double the sentence if they plead not guilty and are subsequently found guilty. The system as usual is weighted in favour of the criminal. I would be absolutely livid if I were Mr Collins. If this happened in America for example, he would have probably got 10 years minimum, and a much harsher incarceration than would ever get here. Soft on crime and the causes of crime. Absolutely pathetic.[/p][/quote]Quote... Lloyd's previous convictions include a violent assault and a theft both in 2010, and he was on a youth rehabilitation order when this took place..... Clearly it goes to show that these type of people that should have been ' caged with the key thrown away ' just do it again, in this case an innocent man has been harmed physically and mentally, our system is a disgrace compared to the USA.... I wonder if that ' do gooder ' br596799314 that comments on here will have a say, most probably usual rubbish of support for the guilty ? Jonnytrouble
  • Score: 48

12:53pm Sat 22 Feb 14

cantbelieveitsnotbetter says...

I'm all for giving people a chance, some people unfortunately make mistakes, one offs etc. and might not deserve having the key thrown away- but how many times do we read that vile idiot scum such as these fecks have been doing such things for years? most have been known to police for causing all sorts of grief, list of 'convictions' as long as your arm but still being given relatively soft punishments.and yes I know its complicated, uk eu law ect. but instead of giving them a break, a chance to, ( ah hem) reabilitate, maybe they should be given a lesson! others will take notice then too.
if the government can fight and flaunt human rights law to save money etc surely its about time victims get what they deserve.
sod how high prison population gets, thwre seems to be this panic that we have too many inside! the reason is because they put themselves there, simple. someone fiddling benefits get worse sentances!
all the very best mr collins
I'm all for giving people a chance, some people unfortunately make mistakes, one offs etc. and might not deserve having the key thrown away- but how many times do we read that vile idiot scum such as these fecks have been doing such things for years? most have been known to police for causing all sorts of grief, list of 'convictions' as long as your arm but still being given relatively soft punishments.and yes I know its complicated, uk eu law ect. but instead of giving them a break, a chance to, ( ah hem) reabilitate, maybe they should be given a lesson! others will take notice then too. if the government can fight and flaunt human rights law to save money etc surely its about time victims get what they deserve. sod how high prison population gets, thwre seems to be this panic that we have too many inside! the reason is because they put themselves there, simple. someone fiddling benefits get worse sentances! all the very best mr collins cantbelieveitsnotbetter
  • Score: 33

1:16pm Sat 22 Feb 14

sheshe111 says...

i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like
i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like sheshe111
  • Score: -123

1:35pm Sat 22 Feb 14

Me, Me, Me! says...

Knowing 'Mr Lloyd' is not something I would be bragging about. All there is to know is that he punched a man so hard surrounded by his 'little gang' that he lost his eye and has had his life changed forever. Nobody really cares what he would appreciate.
Knowing 'Mr Lloyd' is not something I would be bragging about. All there is to know is that he punched a man so hard surrounded by his 'little gang' that he lost his eye and has had his life changed forever. Nobody really cares what he would appreciate. Me, Me, Me!
  • Score: 105

1:44pm Sat 22 Feb 14

BUDDAH WELSH says...

Shocking 3 years he will serve 12 months and be back on the streets should of chucked him in the Army for 3 years to teach him respect and discipline.
Shocking 3 years he will serve 12 months and be back on the streets should of chucked him in the Army for 3 years to teach him respect and discipline. BUDDAH WELSH
  • Score: 61

2:03pm Sat 22 Feb 14

Captain Tripps says...

sheshe111 wrote:
i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like
Attacking an innocent man with his bunch of scummy mates to back him up . I think I know all I need to know about this pathetic bullying piece of filth . I'd give him 20 years hard labour and make sure his family pays his victim a huge amount of compensation .
[quote][p][bold]sheshe111[/bold] wrote: i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like[/p][/quote]Attacking an innocent man with his bunch of scummy mates to back him up . I think I know all I need to know about this pathetic bullying piece of filth . I'd give him 20 years hard labour and make sure his family pays his victim a huge amount of compensation . Captain Tripps
  • Score: 53

2:29pm Sat 22 Feb 14

a9b9c9 says...

sheshe111 wrote:
i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like
And I personally know Mr Collins and I DO know the facts from that night. As for what Jay Lloyd is really like? Well considering he's done something like this before so knew exactly what he was doing when he left a seriously injured man in the middle of the road to die then I'm going to take an educated guess and say he is vile scum. Does he ever wonder what Chris's family were going through when he was out partying after what he did? Does he think about Chris's wife at the hospital, not knowing if her husband was going to live or die? Does he think about Chris's two daughters at home, not even knowing what had happened or if he was okay? Jay Lloyd is never going to know the full extent of the damage he's done, and never going to know the pain he's caused.

Also, this is a public site. People can express their opinions as they please. If someone doesn't "appreciate" them, then don't read them.
[quote][p][bold]sheshe111[/bold] wrote: i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like[/p][/quote]And I personally know Mr Collins and I DO know the facts from that night. As for what Jay Lloyd is really like? Well considering he's done something like this before so knew exactly what he was doing when he left a seriously injured man in the middle of the road to die then I'm going to take an educated guess and say he is vile scum. Does he ever wonder what Chris's family were going through when he was out partying after what he did? Does he think about Chris's wife at the hospital, not knowing if her husband was going to live or die? Does he think about Chris's two daughters at home, not even knowing what had happened or if he was okay? Jay Lloyd is never going to know the full extent of the damage he's done, and never going to know the pain he's caused. Also, this is a public site. People can express their opinions as they please. If someone doesn't "appreciate" them, then don't read them. a9b9c9
  • Score: 85

3:18pm Sat 22 Feb 14

Abertillery29 says...

I would like to go back to the Judges comments and questions regarding the 'CPS'. I was a member of a very efficient police prosecution department when the 'CPS' came in to being. They very quickly became known as the 'Can't Prosecute Service' and the jobs in it were mostly filled by solicitors who couldn't make the grade elsewhere. Cases that we would put before the Magistrates and Crown Courts were very quickly pushed out by the 'CPS' if they didn't think that their very mediocre staff could get a conviction. It has - because of political meddling gone very steeply downhill. Unfortunately I don't know the answer unless the Judiciary either openly or behind close doors force the government to radically overhaul this useless department.
I would like to go back to the Judges comments and questions regarding the 'CPS'. I was a member of a very efficient police prosecution department when the 'CPS' came in to being. They very quickly became known as the 'Can't Prosecute Service' and the jobs in it were mostly filled by solicitors who couldn't make the grade elsewhere. Cases that we would put before the Magistrates and Crown Courts were very quickly pushed out by the 'CPS' if they didn't think that their very mediocre staff could get a conviction. It has - because of political meddling gone very steeply downhill. Unfortunately I don't know the answer unless the Judiciary either openly or behind close doors force the government to radically overhaul this useless department. Abertillery29
  • Score: 22

4:53pm Sat 22 Feb 14

jimmysmith says...

sheshe111 wrote:
i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like
do you think the little scum bucket might have done the police a few favours in exchange for the lesser charge ?
[quote][p][bold]sheshe111[/bold] wrote: i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like[/p][/quote]do you think the little scum bucket might have done the police a few favours in exchange for the lesser charge ? jimmysmith
  • Score: 20

5:03pm Sat 22 Feb 14

sunreader says...

Hopefully this clearly decent man Christopher Collins has some "good friends" who will want to do the very best of things for him. Jay Lloyd will probably at some stage pick on the wrong person. There is always someone fitter, willing and more able. All the very best to you Christopher Collins.
Hopefully this clearly decent man Christopher Collins has some "good friends" who will want to do the very best of things for him. Jay Lloyd will probably at some stage pick on the wrong person. There is always someone fitter, willing and more able. All the very best to you Christopher Collins. sunreader
  • Score: 23

5:18pm Sat 22 Feb 14

Dai Rear says...

Abertillery29 wrote:
I would like to go back to the Judges comments and questions regarding the 'CPS'. I was a member of a very efficient police prosecution department when the 'CPS' came in to being. They very quickly became known as the 'Can't Prosecute Service' and the jobs in it were mostly filled by solicitors who couldn't make the grade elsewhere. Cases that we would put before the Magistrates and Crown Courts were very quickly pushed out by the 'CPS' if they didn't think that their very mediocre staff could get a conviction. It has - because of political meddling gone very steeply downhill. Unfortunately I don't know the answer unless the Judiciary either openly or behind close doors force the government to radically overhaul this useless department.
In fairness the CPS was a solution to Metropolitan Police corruption that was then rolled out nationally and, since most of the lawyers who initially entered it had been in the County Prosecuting Service, in your case, Abertillery 29, at Croesyceiliog, then the inevitable inference has to be that you felt they also were not up to scratch. I don't entirely differ from you though. As the CPS became the Civil Service it became apparent to all that promotion lay with those who assiduously attended meetings, formed committees and wrote memoranda, not those at the sharp end , in the courts. The process has continued for 28 years with the result I highlighted at the beginning of the comments. I.E. half the "managers" would not know the difference between mens rea and a KFC because they're not lawyers and the other half are committee people who would (rightly) consider a stint at court to be a punishment from those even higher up who wouldn't know where their local court was. Tom Crowther does a useful service in his comments which I'm sure will be echoed (out loud) I hope) by his peers in the judiciary.
[quote][p][bold]Abertillery29[/bold] wrote: I would like to go back to the Judges comments and questions regarding the 'CPS'. I was a member of a very efficient police prosecution department when the 'CPS' came in to being. They very quickly became known as the 'Can't Prosecute Service' and the jobs in it were mostly filled by solicitors who couldn't make the grade elsewhere. Cases that we would put before the Magistrates and Crown Courts were very quickly pushed out by the 'CPS' if they didn't think that their very mediocre staff could get a conviction. It has - because of political meddling gone very steeply downhill. Unfortunately I don't know the answer unless the Judiciary either openly or behind close doors force the government to radically overhaul this useless department.[/p][/quote]In fairness the CPS was a solution to Metropolitan Police corruption that was then rolled out nationally and, since most of the lawyers who initially entered it had been in the County Prosecuting Service, in your case, Abertillery 29, at Croesyceiliog, then the inevitable inference has to be that you felt they also were not up to scratch. I don't entirely differ from you though. As the CPS became the Civil Service it became apparent to all that promotion lay with those who assiduously attended meetings, formed committees and wrote memoranda, not those at the sharp end , in the courts. The process has continued for 28 years with the result I highlighted at the beginning of the comments. I.E. half the "managers" would not know the difference between mens rea and a KFC because they're not lawyers and the other half are committee people who would (rightly) consider a stint at court to be a punishment from those even higher up who wouldn't know where their local court was. Tom Crowther does a useful service in his comments which I'm sure will be echoed (out loud) I hope) by his peers in the judiciary. Dai Rear
  • Score: -47

6:14pm Sat 22 Feb 14

c collins says...

sheshe111 wrote:
i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like
If YOU want to know all the facts then I am very willing to meet you face to face and explain everything. Unfortunately my face doesn't look quite the same anymore!!! You have no idea what it's been like for me, my wife, my two daughters, and my close family. Try covering one of your eyes over for a whole day. Then imagine what it would be like for a whole year. Then imagine what that would be like for the rest of your life because some scumbag had had way too much to drink and had been taking cocaine. Now add the pain, both physical and emotional. If you can do all of this then you are almost halfway there. I would appreciate it if YOU kept your opinions to yourself. YOU KNOW NOTHING OF WHAT THIS HAS BEEN LIKE. To everyone else who commented, thank you very much. We are not going to let these scumbags win. We still have a long long way to go, but with the help and love of our family and friends we will get through this. The public support has been fantastic and I thank every one of you.
[quote][p][bold]sheshe111[/bold] wrote: i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like[/p][/quote]If YOU want to know all the facts then I am very willing to meet you face to face and explain everything. Unfortunately my face doesn't look quite the same anymore!!! You have no idea what it's been like for me, my wife, my two daughters, and my close family. Try covering one of your eyes over for a whole day. Then imagine what it would be like for a whole year. Then imagine what that would be like for the rest of your life because some scumbag had had way too much to drink and had been taking cocaine. Now add the pain, both physical and emotional. If you can do all of this then you are almost halfway there. I would appreciate it if YOU kept your opinions to yourself. YOU KNOW NOTHING OF WHAT THIS HAS BEEN LIKE. To everyone else who commented, thank you very much. We are not going to let these scumbags win. We still have a long long way to go, but with the help and love of our family and friends we will get through this. The public support has been fantastic and I thank every one of you. c collins
  • Score: 130

6:16pm Sat 22 Feb 14

Forgive Me If I'm Wrong says...

sheshe111 wrote:
i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like
You're right we don't know what Mr Lloyd is really like - but we've heard what he was like on New Years Eve, and that's more than enough to get a pretty good idea!
[quote][p][bold]sheshe111[/bold] wrote: i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like[/p][/quote]You're right we don't know what Mr Lloyd is really like - but we've heard what he was like on New Years Eve, and that's more than enough to get a pretty good idea! Forgive Me If I'm Wrong
  • Score: 40

6:32pm Sat 22 Feb 14

b3talover says...

c collins wrote:
sheshe111 wrote:
i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like
If YOU want to know all the facts then I am very willing to meet you face to face and explain everything. Unfortunately my face doesn't look quite the same anymore!!! You have no idea what it's been like for me, my wife, my two daughters, and my close family. Try covering one of your eyes over for a whole day. Then imagine what it would be like for a whole year. Then imagine what that would be like for the rest of your life because some scumbag had had way too much to drink and had been taking cocaine. Now add the pain, both physical and emotional. If you can do all of this then you are almost halfway there. I would appreciate it if YOU kept your opinions to yourself. YOU KNOW NOTHING OF WHAT THIS HAS BEEN LIKE. To everyone else who commented, thank you very much. We are not going to let these scumbags win. We still have a long long way to go, but with the help and love of our family and friends we will get through this. The public support has been fantastic and I thank every one of you.
Hear hear!

I really hope I'll be reading in the future that a court of appeal has given him a tougher sentence.
[quote][p][bold]c collins[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sheshe111[/bold] wrote: i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like[/p][/quote]If YOU want to know all the facts then I am very willing to meet you face to face and explain everything. Unfortunately my face doesn't look quite the same anymore!!! You have no idea what it's been like for me, my wife, my two daughters, and my close family. Try covering one of your eyes over for a whole day. Then imagine what it would be like for a whole year. Then imagine what that would be like for the rest of your life because some scumbag had had way too much to drink and had been taking cocaine. Now add the pain, both physical and emotional. If you can do all of this then you are almost halfway there. I would appreciate it if YOU kept your opinions to yourself. YOU KNOW NOTHING OF WHAT THIS HAS BEEN LIKE. To everyone else who commented, thank you very much. We are not going to let these scumbags win. We still have a long long way to go, but with the help and love of our family and friends we will get through this. The public support has been fantastic and I thank every one of you.[/p][/quote]Hear hear! I really hope I'll be reading in the future that a court of appeal has given him a tougher sentence. b3talover
  • Score: 54

8:03pm Sat 22 Feb 14

giovanis says...

"i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like"

sheshe111 should be ashamed to admit to knowing the scum bag. obviously the family are well known and know the right sort of people to get on the special treatment list.

dont the family own some properties and a well known restaurant in newport - they should pay the courts fees and plenty of compensation to mr collins
"i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like" sheshe111 should be ashamed to admit to knowing the scum bag. obviously the family are well known and know the right sort of people to get on the special treatment list. dont the family own some properties and a well known restaurant in newport - they should pay the courts fees and plenty of compensation to mr collins giovanis
  • Score: 34

8:12pm Sat 22 Feb 14

Welsholdgit says...

Ooh! Come on now. The sooner he is released the better. Everyone knows him and where hw lives. Perhaps somone may find it appropiate to serve rough justice. He certainly deserves it. I believe that if scum like that get what they give they may not be quite so brave in the future.
Ooh! Come on now. The sooner he is released the better. Everyone knows him and where hw lives. Perhaps somone may find it appropiate to serve rough justice. He certainly deserves it. I believe that if scum like that get what they give they may not be quite so brave in the future. Welsholdgit
  • Score: 17

8:16pm Sat 22 Feb 14

jimmysmith says...

c collins wrote:
sheshe111 wrote:
i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like
If YOU want to know all the facts then I am very willing to meet you face to face and explain everything. Unfortunately my face doesn't look quite the same anymore!!! You have no idea what it's been like for me, my wife, my two daughters, and my close family. Try covering one of your eyes over for a whole day. Then imagine what it would be like for a whole year. Then imagine what that would be like for the rest of your life because some scumbag had had way too much to drink and had been taking cocaine. Now add the pain, both physical and emotional. If you can do all of this then you are almost halfway there. I would appreciate it if YOU kept your opinions to yourself. YOU KNOW NOTHING OF WHAT THIS HAS BEEN LIKE. To everyone else who commented, thank you very much. We are not going to let these scumbags win. We still have a long long way to go, but with the help and love of our family and friends we will get through this. The public support has been fantastic and I thank every one of you.
you forgot to add Mr Collins that the scum coward waited for your back to be turned before he struck you from behind .And this vermin is going to back out on the streets inside 18mths scrounging the dole hanging around street corners and taking cocaine .i really hope that some how this pathetic sentence is reviewed and he gets a more fitting stretch .good luck to you mr collins
[quote][p][bold]c collins[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sheshe111[/bold] wrote: i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like[/p][/quote]If YOU want to know all the facts then I am very willing to meet you face to face and explain everything. Unfortunately my face doesn't look quite the same anymore!!! You have no idea what it's been like for me, my wife, my two daughters, and my close family. Try covering one of your eyes over for a whole day. Then imagine what it would be like for a whole year. Then imagine what that would be like for the rest of your life because some scumbag had had way too much to drink and had been taking cocaine. Now add the pain, both physical and emotional. If you can do all of this then you are almost halfway there. I would appreciate it if YOU kept your opinions to yourself. YOU KNOW NOTHING OF WHAT THIS HAS BEEN LIKE. To everyone else who commented, thank you very much. We are not going to let these scumbags win. We still have a long long way to go, but with the help and love of our family and friends we will get through this. The public support has been fantastic and I thank every one of you.[/p][/quote]you forgot to add Mr Collins that the scum coward waited for your back to be turned before he struck you from behind .And this vermin is going to back out on the streets inside 18mths scrounging the dole hanging around street corners and taking cocaine .i really hope that some how this pathetic sentence is reviewed and he gets a more fitting stretch .good luck to you mr collins jimmysmith
  • Score: 28

8:34pm Sat 22 Feb 14

blackandamber says...

I've said it before and I make no apologies for saying it again until the people of this country wake up. Nobody is guilty of anything any more.
I've said it before and I make no apologies for saying it again until the people of this country wake up. Nobody is guilty of anything any more. blackandamber
  • Score: -1

9:47pm Sat 22 Feb 14

Captain Tripps says...

Welsholdgit wrote:
Ooh! Come on now. The sooner he is released the better. Everyone knows him and where hw lives. Perhaps somone may find it appropiate to serve rough justice. He certainly deserves it. I believe that if scum like that get what they give they may not be quite so brave in the future.
Well said . Let's hope this coward gets what he deserves . In or out of prison ......
[quote][p][bold]Welsholdgit[/bold] wrote: Ooh! Come on now. The sooner he is released the better. Everyone knows him and where hw lives. Perhaps somone may find it appropiate to serve rough justice. He certainly deserves it. I believe that if scum like that get what they give they may not be quite so brave in the future.[/p][/quote]Well said . Let's hope this coward gets what he deserves . In or out of prison ...... Captain Tripps
  • Score: 3

1:29am Sun 23 Feb 14

Steffyboy says...

You blind me I blind you !! Simple
You blind me I blind you !! Simple Steffyboy
  • Score: 13

1:44am Sun 23 Feb 14

plugger1 says...

sheshe111 wrote:
i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like
I'd be ashamed to even say that you know this scumbag hes a violent druggy and 3yea rs is know were near enough justise for the pain hes caused to chris and our family you dont have to see chris on a daily basis chris was a out going full of life until jay lloyd took it from him and its not just chris's life he destroyed its jaynes and there girls to so before you start sticking up for the peace of sh*t druggy just think what it would do to you and your family if it was member of your family this happened to you so think twice before you say anything else
[quote][p][bold]sheshe111[/bold] wrote: i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like[/p][/quote]I'd be ashamed to even say that you know this scumbag hes a violent druggy and 3yea rs is know were near enough justise for the pain hes caused to chris and our family you dont have to see chris on a daily basis chris was a out going full of life until jay lloyd took it from him and its not just chris's life he destroyed its jaynes and there girls to so before you start sticking up for the peace of sh*t druggy just think what it would do to you and your family if it was member of your family this happened to you so think twice before you say anything else plugger1
  • Score: 25

1:50am Sun 23 Feb 14

Mike0408 says...

Welsholdgit wrote:
Ooh! Come on now. The sooner he is released the better. Everyone knows him and where hw lives. Perhaps somone may find it appropiate to serve rough justice. He certainly deserves it. I believe that if scum like that get what they give they may not be quite so brave in the future.
Well I don't know him or were he lives, but then again I haven't lived in Newport that long (about 3 years) but may have seen him about as I do live near the bainswell social club but no pic of him on here so I don't know.
[quote][p][bold]Welsholdgit[/bold] wrote: Ooh! Come on now. The sooner he is released the better. Everyone knows him and where hw lives. Perhaps somone may find it appropiate to serve rough justice. He certainly deserves it. I believe that if scum like that get what they give they may not be quite so brave in the future.[/p][/quote]Well I don't know him or were he lives, but then again I haven't lived in Newport that long (about 3 years) but may have seen him about as I do live near the bainswell social club but no pic of him on here so I don't know. Mike0408
  • Score: 2

2:54am Sun 23 Feb 14

Templar05 says...

sheshe111 wrote:
i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like
What he really is like ? ..he's a super guy! , a real credit to society . You must be really delusional.
[quote][p][bold]sheshe111[/bold] wrote: i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like[/p][/quote]What he really is like ? ..he's a super guy! , a real credit to society . You must be really delusional. Templar05
  • Score: 16

7:30am Sun 23 Feb 14

Dai Rear says...

b3talover wrote:
c collins wrote:
sheshe111 wrote:
i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like
If YOU want to know all the facts then I am very willing to meet you face to face and explain everything. Unfortunately my face doesn't look quite the same anymore!!! You have no idea what it's been like for me, my wife, my two daughters, and my close family. Try covering one of your eyes over for a whole day. Then imagine what it would be like for a whole year. Then imagine what that would be like for the rest of your life because some scumbag had had way too much to drink and had been taking cocaine. Now add the pain, both physical and emotional. If you can do all of this then you are almost halfway there. I would appreciate it if YOU kept your opinions to yourself. YOU KNOW NOTHING OF WHAT THIS HAS BEEN LIKE. To everyone else who commented, thank you very much. We are not going to let these scumbags win. We still have a long long way to go, but with the help and love of our family and friends we will get through this. The public support has been fantastic and I thank every one of you.
Hear hear!

I really hope I'll be reading in the future that a court of appeal has given him a tougher sentence.
Sadly it can't happen. The CPS got it wrong, which is as big a crime as the original one actually, since they had as much time as they wanted to get it right. The maximum sentence for this lower level offence is 5 years. Take off the discount for a guilty plea and he CANNOT get more than 3 years.
[quote][p][bold]b3talover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]c collins[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sheshe111[/bold] wrote: i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like[/p][/quote]If YOU want to know all the facts then I am very willing to meet you face to face and explain everything. Unfortunately my face doesn't look quite the same anymore!!! You have no idea what it's been like for me, my wife, my two daughters, and my close family. Try covering one of your eyes over for a whole day. Then imagine what it would be like for a whole year. Then imagine what that would be like for the rest of your life because some scumbag had had way too much to drink and had been taking cocaine. Now add the pain, both physical and emotional. If you can do all of this then you are almost halfway there. I would appreciate it if YOU kept your opinions to yourself. YOU KNOW NOTHING OF WHAT THIS HAS BEEN LIKE. To everyone else who commented, thank you very much. We are not going to let these scumbags win. We still have a long long way to go, but with the help and love of our family and friends we will get through this. The public support has been fantastic and I thank every one of you.[/p][/quote]Hear hear! I really hope I'll be reading in the future that a court of appeal has given him a tougher sentence.[/p][/quote]Sadly it can't happen. The CPS got it wrong, which is as big a crime as the original one actually, since they had as much time as they wanted to get it right. The maximum sentence for this lower level offence is 5 years. Take off the discount for a guilty plea and he CANNOT get more than 3 years. Dai Rear
  • Score: -19

8:36am Sun 23 Feb 14

BernardCCC says...

I don't believe in an eye for an eye...but I do believe in justice. Mr Collins hasn't had any.
I don't believe in an eye for an eye...but I do believe in justice. Mr Collins hasn't had any. BernardCCC
  • Score: 10

10:09am Sun 23 Feb 14

peterscott1955 says...

So 18months inside And then back on the streets to do it again. Remorseful? People like this aren't remorseful. His victim has to live all of his life with the damage and this twonk gets 18months? Forget the licence nonsense, he us still out and dining on reputation. This is a shameful failure of justice and the case should be reviewed with a view to a much harsher sentence. The 15 year old too. Custodial for him too...
So 18months inside And then back on the streets to do it again. Remorseful? People like this aren't remorseful. His victim has to live all of his life with the damage and this twonk gets 18months? Forget the licence nonsense, he us still out and dining on reputation. This is a shameful failure of justice and the case should be reviewed with a view to a much harsher sentence. The 15 year old too. Custodial for him too... peterscott1955
  • Score: 8

10:21am Sun 23 Feb 14

Jonnytrouble says...

sheshe111 wrote:
i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like
Sick, not one thought for Mr Collins, hope you don't take the same stuff as him !
Sick !
[quote][p][bold]sheshe111[/bold] wrote: i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like[/p][/quote]Sick, not one thought for Mr Collins, hope you don't take the same stuff as him ! Sick ! Jonnytrouble
  • Score: 10

10:50am Sun 23 Feb 14

Jonnytrouble says...

Welsholdgit wrote:
Ooh! Come on now. The sooner he is released the better. Everyone knows him and where hw lives. Perhaps somone may find it appropiate to serve rough justice. He certainly deserves it. I believe that if scum like that get what they give they may not be quite so brave in the future.
Yes,i believe in what my dear Nan use to say ' what goes round comes round '
Hope Lloyd's Family and so called friends are ashamed of him, but he seams to mix with some nice people as one on here supports him, is it the Cocaine ?
Mr Collins has 100% full support of decent people and I hope he and his Solicitor can appeal to that stupid insult of a sentence and have that
' scumbag ' caged longer and whilst he is in prison I hope someone gives
' the tough guy ' a good hiding !
I hate to think what ' the next time ' could be when that scumbag is back on our streets in about 18 mnths not the full 3 yrs but 18 mnths...??????
What a crazy system we have in our own Country....
I can understand anyone wanting to take the Law or be a vigilante in there own hands when we constantly hear of decent hard working people being let done.....
[quote][p][bold]Welsholdgit[/bold] wrote: Ooh! Come on now. The sooner he is released the better. Everyone knows him and where hw lives. Perhaps somone may find it appropiate to serve rough justice. He certainly deserves it. I believe that if scum like that get what they give they may not be quite so brave in the future.[/p][/quote]Yes,i believe in what my dear Nan use to say ' what goes round comes round ' Hope Lloyd's Family and so called friends are ashamed of him, but he seams to mix with some nice people as one on here supports him, is it the Cocaine ? Mr Collins has 100% full support of decent people and I hope he and his Solicitor can appeal to that stupid insult of a sentence and have that ' scumbag ' caged longer and whilst he is in prison I hope someone gives ' the tough guy ' a good hiding ! I hate to think what ' the next time ' could be when that scumbag is back on our streets in about 18 mnths not the full 3 yrs but 18 mnths...?????? What a crazy system we have in our own Country.... I can understand anyone wanting to take the Law or be a vigilante in there own hands when we constantly hear of decent hard working people being let done..... Jonnytrouble
  • Score: 15

10:50am Sun 23 Feb 14

Cymru Am Beth says...

Jonnytrouble wrote:
sheshe111 wrote:
i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like
Sick, not one thought for Mr Collins, hope you don't take the same stuff as him !
Sick !
An uneducated comment from a very uneducated person.
[quote][p][bold]Jonnytrouble[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sheshe111[/bold] wrote: i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like[/p][/quote]Sick, not one thought for Mr Collins, hope you don't take the same stuff as him ! Sick ![/p][/quote]An uneducated comment from a very uneducated person. Cymru Am Beth
  • Score: -7

11:34am Sun 23 Feb 14

sunreader says...

Mr Collins, a fantastic response made to comments made I suspect from someone who probably contributes nothing to society or life in general. A "know nothing" and a nobody. Giovannis - you made a great comment to. My hope is that the Argus publishes this stuff, lets get it out there.
Mr Collins, a fantastic response made to comments made I suspect from someone who probably contributes nothing to society or life in general. A "know nothing" and a nobody. Giovannis - you made a great comment to. My hope is that the Argus publishes this stuff, lets get it out there. sunreader
  • Score: 10

12:18pm Sun 23 Feb 14

Welsholdgit says...

I do have mixed feelings about the type of punishment trash like this get. I find it difficult to accept that we as taxpayers should have to pay to keep this kind of of subhuman scum incarcerated why not fetch back corporal punishment. A lot cheaper and a lot more painful. Just what this scum fear. Like animals, brave packs, gutless on their own.
I do have mixed feelings about the type of punishment trash like this get. I find it difficult to accept that we as taxpayers should have to pay to keep this kind of of subhuman scum incarcerated why not fetch back corporal punishment. A lot cheaper and a lot more painful. Just what this scum fear. Like animals, brave packs, gutless on their own. Welsholdgit
  • Score: 8

1:16pm Sun 23 Feb 14

Cymru Am Beth says...

Cymru Am Beth wrote:
Jonnytrouble wrote:
sheshe111 wrote:
i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like
Sick, not one thought for Mr Collins, hope you don't take the same stuff as him !
Sick !
An uneducated comment from a very uneducated person.
I meant the quote from her not Jonnytrouble, I should have made that clear.
[quote][p][bold]Cymru Am Beth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonnytrouble[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sheshe111[/bold] wrote: i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like[/p][/quote]Sick, not one thought for Mr Collins, hope you don't take the same stuff as him ! Sick ![/p][/quote]An uneducated comment from a very uneducated person.[/p][/quote]I meant the quote from her not Jonnytrouble, I should have made that clear. Cymru Am Beth
  • Score: 9

3:43pm Sun 23 Feb 14

GarethMartin says...

sheshe111 wrote:
i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like
Couldn't care less if you know him, he is scum, I hope his 18 months inside are him getting beaten up on a daily basis. The world would be a much better place without human excrement like this
[quote][p][bold]sheshe111[/bold] wrote: i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like[/p][/quote]Couldn't care less if you know him, he is scum, I hope his 18 months inside are him getting beaten up on a daily basis. The world would be a much better place without human excrement like this GarethMartin
  • Score: 16

5:02pm Sun 23 Feb 14

endthelies says...

Lloyds lenient sentence is totally sickening. I hope something can be done to make sure he and others like him realise the impact of their actions on an innocent persons life. I would just like to send my best wishes to Mr Collins and his family and hope that the courts review this sentence, although nothing could make up for the loss of his sight at least maybe a longer sentence would make Mr Collins feel that the law respects what he and his family have been through.
Lloyds lenient sentence is totally sickening. I hope something can be done to make sure he and others like him realise the impact of their actions on an innocent persons life. I would just like to send my best wishes to Mr Collins and his family and hope that the courts review this sentence, although nothing could make up for the loss of his sight at least maybe a longer sentence would make Mr Collins feel that the law respects what he and his family have been through. endthelies
  • Score: 14

1:38pm Wed 26 Feb 14

Whats-wrong-with-the-World? says...

sheshe111 wrote:
i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like
sheshe111 - seriously you are either one of the worlds most stupid and ignorant people or you are simply taking the p*ss.

What he did was cowardly and compelelty unforgiveable, and I can only assume he surrounds himself with idiots like you. Fingers crossed he will get his 'reward' inside, when his fellow inmates realise what a coward he is. No doubt you will be joining him soon, if this is your outlook on life.

Mr Collins, I wish you and your family the very best. I know and undersatnd the difficulties you face, but am confident you will not let this scum stop you achieing what you need to.
[quote][p][bold]sheshe111[/bold] wrote: i personally know mr lloyd and im sure we would all apreiciate it if you kept some of your oppinions to yourself just because you read it in the new paper dosent mean you have read it all none of you know the facts or what jay is really like[/p][/quote]sheshe111 - seriously you are either one of the worlds most stupid and ignorant people or you are simply taking the p*ss. What he did was cowardly and compelelty unforgiveable, and I can only assume he surrounds himself with idiots like you. Fingers crossed he will get his 'reward' inside, when his fellow inmates realise what a coward he is. No doubt you will be joining him soon, if this is your outlook on life. Mr Collins, I wish you and your family the very best. I know and undersatnd the difficulties you face, but am confident you will not let this scum stop you achieing what you need to. Whats-wrong-with-the-World?
  • Score: 5

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree