COMMENT: Will fines cut mess?

NEWPORT’s new zero tolerance approach to dog owners who allow their pets to foul the city’s streets and parks is to be applauded.

But how many people will actually be on the receiving end of a £75 fine from the city council?

Judging by the state of many pavements in the city there will be fines galore handed out now the council has decided to stop issuing offenders with a warning.

But catching dog owners in the act, as it were, will be the stumbling block for this tough new regime.

Most streets in Newport, particularly those that form part of popular dog walking routes, are littered with mess. There is little evidence, however, of those who fail to clean up after their pets being caught and dealt with appropriately.

Likewise, head to any of the city’s parks and you will see dogs galore running free despite clear signage that they must be kept on leads at all times. And how often are their owners held responsible for breaking the rules?

Most dog owners are responsible people. But there are a significant minority of people who fail to act with any kind of responsibility or duty of care to others when out in public with their pets.

If Newport’s new zero tolerance approach cracks down on such people then we are all for it.

But we suspect the numbers fined will be minimal.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:16pm Mon 20 Aug 12

rhinestine says...

Joke! no one will be on hand to enforce this, just like no one enforces the litter law, anti-social behavior law, Criminal Law, need I go on?

The only law they seem to enforce is the traffic laws, you can get a ticket through the post with a fine and points on your license for doing 35 in 30 zone, no immediate danger to anyone, not defacing, urinating, or swearing at any property or persons, but you still get a hefty fine, and why?

AS IT'S EASY FOR THEM!!!

Britain is a disgrace, Newport is a bigger disgrace!!!
Joke! no one will be on hand to enforce this, just like no one enforces the litter law, anti-social behavior law, Criminal Law, need I go on? The only law they seem to enforce is the traffic laws, you can get a ticket through the post with a fine and points on your license for doing 35 in 30 zone, no immediate danger to anyone, not defacing, urinating, or swearing at any property or persons, but you still get a hefty fine, and why? AS IT'S EASY FOR THEM!!! Britain is a disgrace, Newport is a bigger disgrace!!! rhinestine

12:23pm Mon 20 Aug 12

Cymru Am Beth says...

I won't hold my breath?
I won't hold my breath? Cymru Am Beth

12:53pm Mon 20 Aug 12

ncfcr says...

Cymru Am Beth wrote:
I won't hold my breath?
I would if I were you.

Another fine mess Newport City Council have gotten us into.
[quote][p][bold]Cymru Am Beth[/bold] wrote: I won't hold my breath?[/p][/quote]I would if I were you. Another fine mess Newport City Council have gotten us into. ncfcr

2:19pm Mon 20 Aug 12

Severn40 says...

I don't think they will ever get to the bottom of this.
I don't think they will ever get to the bottom of this. Severn40

3:17pm Mon 20 Aug 12

b3talover says...

rhinestine wrote:
Joke! no one will be on hand to enforce this, just like no one enforces the litter law, anti-social behavior law, Criminal Law, need I go on?

The only law they seem to enforce is the traffic laws, you can get a ticket through the post with a fine and points on your license for doing 35 in 30 zone, no immediate danger to anyone, not defacing, urinating, or swearing at any property or persons, but you still get a hefty fine, and why?

AS IT'S EASY FOR THEM!!!

Britain is a disgrace, Newport is a bigger disgrace!!!
35 in a 30 zone? You should get a fine for that! If a £75 fine prevents you from knocking over a child, then I'm all for it. Personally, I think speeders should have their car confiscated for a month!
[quote][p][bold]rhinestine[/bold] wrote: Joke! no one will be on hand to enforce this, just like no one enforces the litter law, anti-social behavior law, Criminal Law, need I go on? The only law they seem to enforce is the traffic laws, you can get a ticket through the post with a fine and points on your license for doing 35 in 30 zone, no immediate danger to anyone, not defacing, urinating, or swearing at any property or persons, but you still get a hefty fine, and why? AS IT'S EASY FOR THEM!!! Britain is a disgrace, Newport is a bigger disgrace!!![/p][/quote]35 in a 30 zone? You should get a fine for that! If a £75 fine prevents you from knocking over a child, then I'm all for it. Personally, I think speeders should have their car confiscated for a month! b3talover

3:35pm Mon 20 Aug 12

james jackson says...

I wouldn't consider 35 as speeding!
The limit should be 20 mph around town, in built up areas.
Next time you are travelling in a new(ish) car, check the speed.
Sometimes it's not possible to believe the speedometer is on 30, because it seems so slow!
I wouldn't consider 35 as speeding! The limit should be 20 mph around town, in built up areas. Next time you are travelling in a new(ish) car, check the speed. Sometimes it's not possible to believe the speedometer is on 30, because it seems so slow! james jackson

5:08pm Mon 20 Aug 12

rhinestine says...

b3talover wrote:
rhinestine wrote:
Joke! no one will be on hand to enforce this, just like no one enforces the litter law, anti-social behavior law, Criminal Law, need I go on?

The only law they seem to enforce is the traffic laws, you can get a ticket through the post with a fine and points on your license for doing 35 in 30 zone, no immediate danger to anyone, not defacing, urinating, or swearing at any property or persons, but you still get a hefty fine, and why?

AS IT'S EASY FOR THEM!!!

Britain is a disgrace, Newport is a bigger disgrace!!!
35 in a 30 zone? You should get a fine for that! If a £75 fine prevents you from knocking over a child, then I'm all for it. Personally, I think speeders should have their car confiscated for a month!
If children were controlled properly, or educated, by their x factor, towie, take away eating, primark kitted out parents, then the majority of children running or walking in front of cars whilst on a mobile phone, or just to be a smart !!!! would be zero.

As ratified by another poster, 35 is hardly speeding, is it?!!

Now, get back to your takeaway.....
[quote][p][bold]b3talover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rhinestine[/bold] wrote: Joke! no one will be on hand to enforce this, just like no one enforces the litter law, anti-social behavior law, Criminal Law, need I go on? The only law they seem to enforce is the traffic laws, you can get a ticket through the post with a fine and points on your license for doing 35 in 30 zone, no immediate danger to anyone, not defacing, urinating, or swearing at any property or persons, but you still get a hefty fine, and why? AS IT'S EASY FOR THEM!!! Britain is a disgrace, Newport is a bigger disgrace!!![/p][/quote]35 in a 30 zone? You should get a fine for that! If a £75 fine prevents you from knocking over a child, then I'm all for it. Personally, I think speeders should have their car confiscated for a month![/p][/quote]If children were controlled properly, or educated, by their x factor, towie, take away eating, primark kitted out parents, then the majority of children running or walking in front of cars whilst on a mobile phone, or just to be a smart !!!! would be zero. As ratified by another poster, 35 is hardly speeding, is it?!! Now, get back to your takeaway..... rhinestine

9:55pm Mon 20 Aug 12

b3talover says...

rhinestine wrote:
b3talover wrote:
rhinestine wrote:
Joke! no one will be on hand to enforce this, just like no one enforces the litter law, anti-social behavior law, Criminal Law, need I go on?

The only law they seem to enforce is the traffic laws, you can get a ticket through the post with a fine and points on your license for doing 35 in 30 zone, no immediate danger to anyone, not defacing, urinating, or swearing at any property or persons, but you still get a hefty fine, and why?

AS IT'S EASY FOR THEM!!!

Britain is a disgrace, Newport is a bigger disgrace!!!
35 in a 30 zone? You should get a fine for that! If a £75 fine prevents you from knocking over a child, then I'm all for it. Personally, I think speeders should have their car confiscated for a month!
If children were controlled properly, or educated, by their x factor, towie, take away eating, primark kitted out parents, then the majority of children running or walking in front of cars whilst on a mobile phone, or just to be a smart !!!! would be zero.

As ratified by another poster, 35 is hardly speeding, is it?!!

Now, get back to your takeaway.....
Brilliant! Personal insults and stereotypical comments. Birches and children should be seen and not heard. You're one in a million, but I think you know that already, don't you. You are now my favourite poster of all time. If I could drag myself away from my frozen pizza and can of Kestrel, I'd pat you on the head.
[quote][p][bold]rhinestine[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]b3talover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rhinestine[/bold] wrote: Joke! no one will be on hand to enforce this, just like no one enforces the litter law, anti-social behavior law, Criminal Law, need I go on? The only law they seem to enforce is the traffic laws, you can get a ticket through the post with a fine and points on your license for doing 35 in 30 zone, no immediate danger to anyone, not defacing, urinating, or swearing at any property or persons, but you still get a hefty fine, and why? AS IT'S EASY FOR THEM!!! Britain is a disgrace, Newport is a bigger disgrace!!![/p][/quote]35 in a 30 zone? You should get a fine for that! If a £75 fine prevents you from knocking over a child, then I'm all for it. Personally, I think speeders should have their car confiscated for a month![/p][/quote]If children were controlled properly, or educated, by their x factor, towie, take away eating, primark kitted out parents, then the majority of children running or walking in front of cars whilst on a mobile phone, or just to be a smart !!!! would be zero. As ratified by another poster, 35 is hardly speeding, is it?!! Now, get back to your takeaway.....[/p][/quote]Brilliant! Personal insults and stereotypical comments. Birches and children should be seen and not heard. You're one in a million, but I think you know that already, don't you. You are now my favourite poster of all time. If I could drag myself away from my frozen pizza and can of Kestrel, I'd pat you on the head. b3talover

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree