Heineken Cup dream now seems out of reach as best team come second

MAN OF THE MATCH: Dragons ace Toby Faletau in action against the Blues today

MAN OF THE MATCH: Dragons ace Toby Faletau in action against the Blues today

First published in Sport South Wales Argus: Photograph of the Author by

BLUES 12 DRAGONS 10

THEY won’t raise the white flag but Newport Gwent Dragons’ hopes of a scrap for Heineken Cup rugby were ended in the mud of Cardiff Arms Park today.

A ten-point gap to the Blues means another season of Amlin Challenge Cup rugby is on the cards and it’s not just the RaboDirect Pro12 table that will be causing their pain.

Amid talk of turning them into a development region, a Dragons victory would have made a timely statement.

And, stronger in the set piece and better up front, they produced a performance that should have yielded four points.

Should have but didn’t – that most familiar of reflections for the one-from-bottom Dragons.

As they have done so frequently this season and in past campaigns, they were left to reflect on missed kicks, a drop goal that was inches wide and opportunities that went begging.

It means that once again the Rodney Parade region are destined to be ranked fourth in Wales, staying in the targets of those that want to ring the changes.

Of course they will keep battling on – their spirit can never be questioned – but it is a plight that will do little to silence their critics.

“It’s something that we certainly don’t want at the Dragons,” said head coach Darren Edwards when asked about the WRU’s idea for a development region.

“It would be nice to just concentrate on putting the regions right rather than trying to dismantle them. We will wait and see what the powers that be sort out.

“It would have been a timely win and there are some really bright things here. We have to continue to develop and nurture that talent because they are continually downtrodden and that’s not the best way to bring them through.

“All you hear is about how bad things are in Welsh rugby.

“Doom and gloom is not what players need to hear, they need to hear some positive things from the Union and from everybody.”

Unfortunately the weather conditions didn’t help raise the spirits in the capital.

Howling wind and persistent rain made you long for the venue next door with its roof and a surface that may not be perfect but is a heck of a lot better than the one at the Arms Park, which had hosted a derby against the Scarlets five days earlier.

Maybe the Millennium Stadium double-header would be better placed in the calendar in winter rather than spring. But, alas, the Blues and Dragons had to grin and get on with it, battling for the privilege to say in the post-match interviews that they had ‘played the conditions better’.

The Dragons bossed the first quarter of an hour but failed to make their pressure count.

Dan Evans missed a shot at goal and the hosts defended their line well when another penalty was kicked to five metres out.

In boxing parlance on Boxing Day, the Dragons were winning on points.

But not on the scoreboard and they were shown how to do it when Blues fly-half Rhys Patchell nailed a 45-metre kick.

Three points are incredibly valuable in such awful conditions and the ginger number 10 was just as ruthless to double the lead on 20 minutes then provide a nine-point buffer on the half hour.

Patchell’s fine efforts in the strong wind were hammered home when Evans – using a driver rather than a nine iron – missed his second shot at goal from 25 metres out, slap bang in front of the sticks.

It was 9-0 at the break and at such times it’s frequently said the next score is vital.

Thankfully it came from the visitors. A patient attack with admirable handling in the conditions saw centre Andy Tuilagi steamroller over with scrum-half Wayne Evans adding the extras while Dan Evans, who will undergo a scan on his injured leg, lay stricken in the mud.

The Dragons took the lead entering the last quarter through the right boot of Lewis Robling but held it for just one phase – replacement prop Owen Evans picked the ball up when offside from the restart to give Patchell another three-point gift.

From that moment it was total Dragons territorial dominance but try as they could they were unable to force their way over, earn a penalty or knock over a drop goal in the squelching mud.

The post-match talk should have been about it being game on in the race for Heineken Cup rugby.

Instead it was about that familiar devastation and frustration.

Blues: J Tovey, A Cuthbert, G Evans, D Hewitt, H Robinson, R Patchell, L Jones (A Walker 61), S Hobbs (T Filise 52-56), R Williams (K Dacey 70), S Andrews (B Bourrust 52), B Davies, L Reed, R Copeland (J Navidi 58), S Warburton, A Pretorius (captain).

Scorers: penalties – R Patchell (4)

Dragons: H Amos, W Harries, P Leach, A Tuilagi (J Dixon 68), M Poole, D Evans (L Robling 52), W Evans (J Evans 52), P Price (O Evans 61), S Parry (H Gustafson 69), D Way (N Buck 61), A Coombs, R Sidoli (A Jones 61), L Evans (captain), N Cudd (T Brown 52), T Faletau.

Scorers: try – A Tuilagi; conversion – W Evans; penalty – L Robling

Referee: Leighton Hodges (WRU)

Attendance: 10,243

Star man: Toby Faletau

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:41pm Wed 26 Dec 12

Hero Mutant Cowboys says...

Don't often agree with Edwards but he's right...why is roger Lewis planning on dismantling the regions and only providing most funding for 2 Welsh regions...probably blues and scarlet...instead of strengthening the 4 regions equally.
Welsh rugby will end up like Scotland...2 regions...small pool to choose from for international players and a weak national side with no strength in depth. That's the future!
Don't often agree with Edwards but he's right...why is roger Lewis planning on dismantling the regions and only providing most funding for 2 Welsh regions...probably blues and scarlet...instead of strengthening the 4 regions equally. Welsh rugby will end up like Scotland...2 regions...small pool to choose from for international players and a weak national side with no strength in depth. That's the future! Hero Mutant Cowboys
  • Score: 0

6:49pm Wed 26 Dec 12

portforever says...

scotland had to drop a region and i think we are going the same way, there is not the money to surport 4 regions and the dragons are the worst region by far, so not looking very good for us,,
scotland had to drop a region and i think we are going the same way, there is not the money to surport 4 regions and the dragons are the worst region by far, so not looking very good for us,, portforever
  • Score: 0

8:01pm Wed 26 Dec 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

For Gods sake stop all this nonsence about dropping to two regions, nothing has been suggested yet other than by the so called CEO of the WRU who often says such things to stir it up. The new body has met once and the WRU CEO IS NOT A MEMBER so he is talking just to stir things up.

Today's game played in a mud bath saw the Blues never looking like crossing the whitewash and at best an average performance from the ref but conditions may have affected that a bit. What cost us was poor goal kicking and an awful drop goal attempt when we were pressing and could have crossed for a second try. Could be a good game on Monday, looking forward to it I think.
For Gods sake stop all this nonsence about dropping to two regions, nothing has been suggested yet other than by the so called CEO of the WRU who often says such things to stir it up. The new body has met once and the WRU CEO IS NOT A MEMBER so he is talking just to stir things up. Today's game played in a mud bath saw the Blues never looking like crossing the whitewash and at best an average performance from the ref but conditions may have affected that a bit. What cost us was poor goal kicking and an awful drop goal attempt when we were pressing and could have crossed for a second try. Could be a good game on Monday, looking forward to it I think. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

9:39pm Wed 26 Dec 12

rhinestine says...

Scrap the dragons, it's been on the cards for ages......
Scrap the dragons, it's been on the cards for ages...... rhinestine
  • Score: 0

10:55pm Wed 26 Dec 12

Rugby Warrior Paulo says...

rhinestine wrote:
Scrap the dragons, it's been on the cards for ages......
Just a matter of interest, after the load of tosh spluttered by Ashley Smith what happened to him? Why the Argus felt it necessary to print an aticle aout HIM is beyond me????

Ah, it's all comng back to me.... something East Newport Dave once informed us of..... something to do with major sponsors and families if I recall correctly.

Rhinestine, you are correct. Personally I've given up on the Dragons and go to Pill Harriers for a local rugby fix.
[quote][p][bold]rhinestine[/bold] wrote: Scrap the dragons, it's been on the cards for ages......[/p][/quote]Just a matter of interest, after the load of tosh spluttered by Ashley Smith what happened to him? Why the Argus felt it necessary to print an aticle aout HIM is beyond me???? Ah, it's all comng back to me.... something East Newport Dave once informed us of..... something to do with major sponsors and families if I recall correctly. Rhinestine, you are correct. Personally I've given up on the Dragons and go to Pill Harriers for a local rugby fix. Rugby Warrior Paulo
  • Score: 0

11:09pm Wed 26 Dec 12

Adam Jones says...

Rugby Warrior Paulo wrote:
rhinestine wrote:
Scrap the dragons, it's been on the cards for ages......
Just a matter of interest, after the load of tosh spluttered by Ashley Smith what happened to him? Why the Argus felt it necessary to print an aticle aout HIM is beyond me????

Ah, it's all comng back to me.... something East Newport Dave once informed us of..... something to do with major sponsors and families if I recall correctly.

Rhinestine, you are correct. Personally I've given up on the Dragons and go to Pill Harriers for a local rugby fix.
I see your talking about your second favourite subject after charity shops. I think you need to get out more.
[quote][p][bold]Rugby Warrior Paulo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rhinestine[/bold] wrote: Scrap the dragons, it's been on the cards for ages......[/p][/quote]Just a matter of interest, after the load of tosh spluttered by Ashley Smith what happened to him? Why the Argus felt it necessary to print an aticle aout HIM is beyond me???? Ah, it's all comng back to me.... something East Newport Dave once informed us of..... something to do with major sponsors and families if I recall correctly. Rhinestine, you are correct. Personally I've given up on the Dragons and go to Pill Harriers for a local rugby fix.[/p][/quote]I see your talking about your second favourite subject after charity shops. I think you need to get out more. Adam Jones
  • Score: 0

11:37pm Wed 26 Dec 12

speakoutnow says...

I think DE should take resposibility for this loss by selecting a team without a regular front line kicker.
Did he really think Dan Evans would just be able to step up and do the job?
Missing kicks in front of goal is always going to come back and bite you.
And then he changes BOTH 9 and 10....I know Dan was injured but Wayne was having a great game.
I think he could also arrange for a ref to explain a few basic laws.
The vital penalty error was just DULL again and without it Blues would have lost.
To be fair the players from both sides gave 100 % but with so much possession and territory we should have won at a canter.
Finally despite totally outplaying the Blues up front...Lewis outstanding again ...guess which pack will provide most 6 nations squad members?
I think DE should take resposibility for this loss by selecting a team without a regular front line kicker. Did he really think Dan Evans would just be able to step up and do the job? Missing kicks in front of goal is always going to come back and bite you. And then he changes BOTH 9 and 10....I know Dan was injured but Wayne was having a great game. I think he could also arrange for a ref to explain a few basic laws. The vital penalty error was just DULL again and without it Blues would have lost. To be fair the players from both sides gave 100 % but with so much possession and territory we should have won at a canter. Finally despite totally outplaying the Blues up front...Lewis outstanding again ...guess which pack will provide most 6 nations squad members? speakoutnow
  • Score: 0

12:12am Thu 27 Dec 12

Rugby Warrior Paulo says...

Adam Jones wrote:
Rugby Warrior Paulo wrote:
rhinestine wrote:
Scrap the dragons, it's been on the cards for ages......
Just a matter of interest, after the load of tosh spluttered by Ashley Smith what happened to him? Why the Argus felt it necessary to print an aticle aout HIM is beyond me????

Ah, it's all comng back to me.... something East Newport Dave once informed us of..... something to do with major sponsors and families if I recall correctly.

Rhinestine, you are correct. Personally I've given up on the Dragons and go to Pill Harriers for a local rugby fix.
I see your talking about your second favourite subject after charity shops. I think you need to get out more.
Charity shops? Something Newport CAN be proud of. We've got the largest one in Wales!
[quote][p][bold]Adam Jones[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rugby Warrior Paulo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rhinestine[/bold] wrote: Scrap the dragons, it's been on the cards for ages......[/p][/quote]Just a matter of interest, after the load of tosh spluttered by Ashley Smith what happened to him? Why the Argus felt it necessary to print an aticle aout HIM is beyond me???? Ah, it's all comng back to me.... something East Newport Dave once informed us of..... something to do with major sponsors and families if I recall correctly. Rhinestine, you are correct. Personally I've given up on the Dragons and go to Pill Harriers for a local rugby fix.[/p][/quote]I see your talking about your second favourite subject after charity shops. I think you need to get out more.[/p][/quote]Charity shops? Something Newport CAN be proud of. We've got the largest one in Wales! Rugby Warrior Paulo
  • Score: 0

12:37am Thu 27 Dec 12

dalesman1666 says...

The wru cut the premiership, and it is the worst kept rugby secret that a region is next, The dragons are overwhelming favourites to be top of the list. come on people wake up and smell the roses is not if but when. A lost cause me thinks.
The wru cut the premiership, and it is the worst kept rugby secret that a region is next, The dragons are overwhelming favourites to be top of the list. come on people wake up and smell the roses is not if but when. A lost cause me thinks. dalesman1666
  • Score: 0

12:37am Thu 27 Dec 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

speakoutnow wrote:
I think DE should take resposibility for this loss by selecting a team without a regular front line kicker.
Did he really think Dan Evans would just be able to step up and do the job?
Missing kicks in front of goal is always going to come back and bite you.
And then he changes BOTH 9 and 10....I know Dan was injured but Wayne was having a great game.
I think he could also arrange for a ref to explain a few basic laws.
The vital penalty error was just DULL again and without it Blues would have lost.
To be fair the players from both sides gave 100 % but with so much possession and territory we should have won at a canter.
Finally despite totally outplaying the Blues up front...Lewis outstanding again ...guess which pack will provide most 6 nations squad members?
To be honest I spect to be called something lie Darren's puppy or something, but he did pick a side that should have morally won the game. There was some choices in the sub situation that did seem strange like taking one of your strongest players off, was he injured in some way not obvious to the watching supporters, only he Cain explain that one. The Dragons did well apart from turning pressure into points, on the balance of things the Dragons should have won by at east six points, but there we go. Strange old game Rugby!
[quote][p][bold]speakoutnow[/bold] wrote: I think DE should take resposibility for this loss by selecting a team without a regular front line kicker. Did he really think Dan Evans would just be able to step up and do the job? Missing kicks in front of goal is always going to come back and bite you. And then he changes BOTH 9 and 10....I know Dan was injured but Wayne was having a great game. I think he could also arrange for a ref to explain a few basic laws. The vital penalty error was just DULL again and without it Blues would have lost. To be fair the players from both sides gave 100 % but with so much possession and territory we should have won at a canter. Finally despite totally outplaying the Blues up front...Lewis outstanding again ...guess which pack will provide most 6 nations squad members?[/p][/quote]To be honest I spect to be called something lie Darren's puppy or something, but he did pick a side that should have morally won the game. There was some choices in the sub situation that did seem strange like taking one of your strongest players off, was he injured in some way not obvious to the watching supporters, only he Cain explain that one. The Dragons did well apart from turning pressure into points, on the balance of things the Dragons should have won by at east six points, but there we go. Strange old game Rugby! Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

9:48am Thu 27 Dec 12

East Newport Dave says...

A loss is a loss and it is a winning game but having outplayed the Blues there is some hope. I heard Andrew Hore being interviewed on tv re Roger Lewis' comments. He was a little guarded but made it clear that the new committed considered his comments unhelpful to say the least. Now that committee has been formed, any restructure would need to be passed by them. I get the impression of a siege mentality forming whereby the four regions are all in financial trouble and are in it together. The difference lies in terms of current playing staff and/or the level of debt.
A loss is a loss and it is a winning game but having outplayed the Blues there is some hope. I heard Andrew Hore being interviewed on tv re Roger Lewis' comments. He was a little guarded but made it clear that the new committed considered his comments unhelpful to say the least. Now that committee has been formed, any restructure would need to be passed by them. I get the impression of a siege mentality forming whereby the four regions are all in financial trouble and are in it together. The difference lies in terms of current playing staff and/or the level of debt. East Newport Dave
  • Score: 0

11:18am Thu 27 Dec 12

speakoutnow says...

Robert Shillabeer wrote:
speakoutnow wrote:
I think DE should take resposibility for this loss by selecting a team without a regular front line kicker.
Did he really think Dan Evans would just be able to step up and do the job?
Missing kicks in front of goal is always going to come back and bite you.
And then he changes BOTH 9 and 10....I know Dan was injured but Wayne was having a great game.
I think he could also arrange for a ref to explain a few basic laws.
The vital penalty error was just DULL again and without it Blues would have lost.
To be fair the players from both sides gave 100 % but with so much possession and territory we should have won at a canter.
Finally despite totally outplaying the Blues up front...Lewis outstanding again ...guess which pack will provide most 6 nations squad members?
To be honest I spect to be called something lie Darren's puppy or something, but he did pick a side that should have morally won the game. There was some choices in the sub situation that did seem strange like taking one of your strongest players off, was he injured in some way not obvious to the watching supporters, only he Cain explain that one. The Dragons did well apart from turning pressure into points, on the balance of things the Dragons should have won by at east six points, but there we go. Strange old game Rugby!
Yet again no criticism of DE by RS...no surprise there then.
He did pick an excellent team and one which should have won BUT.... I repeat ...if you go into a game that was likely to be played in awful conditions and where points are going to be hard to come then you MUST pick a front line line kicker who can take every point on offer.... simples!
As to picking a team to win on morals perhaps we should pick a team of vicars....then we should win every game.....morally at least.
[quote][p][bold]Robert Shillabeer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]speakoutnow[/bold] wrote: I think DE should take resposibility for this loss by selecting a team without a regular front line kicker. Did he really think Dan Evans would just be able to step up and do the job? Missing kicks in front of goal is always going to come back and bite you. And then he changes BOTH 9 and 10....I know Dan was injured but Wayne was having a great game. I think he could also arrange for a ref to explain a few basic laws. The vital penalty error was just DULL again and without it Blues would have lost. To be fair the players from both sides gave 100 % but with so much possession and territory we should have won at a canter. Finally despite totally outplaying the Blues up front...Lewis outstanding again ...guess which pack will provide most 6 nations squad members?[/p][/quote]To be honest I spect to be called something lie Darren's puppy or something, but he did pick a side that should have morally won the game. There was some choices in the sub situation that did seem strange like taking one of your strongest players off, was he injured in some way not obvious to the watching supporters, only he Cain explain that one. The Dragons did well apart from turning pressure into points, on the balance of things the Dragons should have won by at east six points, but there we go. Strange old game Rugby![/p][/quote]Yet again no criticism of DE by RS...no surprise there then. He did pick an excellent team and one which should have won BUT.... I repeat ...if you go into a game that was likely to be played in awful conditions and where points are going to be hard to come then you MUST pick a front line line kicker who can take every point on offer.... simples! As to picking a team to win on morals perhaps we should pick a team of vicars....then we should win every game.....morally at least. speakoutnow
  • Score: 0

11:59am Thu 27 Dec 12

portforever says...

3 or 2 regions seems to be the best for welsh rugby, the game on boxing day was played by 2 poor sides now that the money has dried up at the blues and same at the dragons the future looks grim.may go to watch cardiff city next season and see some of the best footie teams in the world instead of the rubbish at the dragons , and its just 10 mins on the iron horse,,
3 or 2 regions seems to be the best for welsh rugby, the game on boxing day was played by 2 poor sides now that the money has dried up at the blues and same at the dragons the future looks grim.may go to watch cardiff city next season and see some of the best footie teams in the world instead of the rubbish at the dragons , and its just 10 mins on the iron horse,, portforever
  • Score: 0

1:07pm Thu 27 Dec 12

Euwan Usami says...

speakoutnow wrote:
Robert Shillabeer wrote:
speakoutnow wrote:
I think DE should take resposibility for this loss by selecting a team without a regular front line kicker.
Did he really think Dan Evans would just be able to step up and do the job?
Missing kicks in front of goal is always going to come back and bite you.
And then he changes BOTH 9 and 10....I know Dan was injured but Wayne was having a great game.
I think he could also arrange for a ref to explain a few basic laws.
The vital penalty error was just DULL again and without it Blues would have lost.
To be fair the players from both sides gave 100 % but with so much possession and territory we should have won at a canter.
Finally despite totally outplaying the Blues up front...Lewis outstanding again ...guess which pack will provide most 6 nations squad members?
To be honest I spect to be called something lie Darren's puppy or something, but he did pick a side that should have morally won the game. There was some choices in the sub situation that did seem strange like taking one of your strongest players off, was he injured in some way not obvious to the watching supporters, only he Cain explain that one. The Dragons did well apart from turning pressure into points, on the balance of things the Dragons should have won by at east six points, but there we go. Strange old game Rugby!
Yet again no criticism of DE by RS...no surprise there then.
He did pick an excellent team and one which should have won BUT.... I repeat ...if you go into a game that was likely to be played in awful conditions and where points are going to be hard to come then you MUST pick a front line line kicker who can take every point on offer.... simples!
As to picking a team to win on morals perhaps we should pick a team of vicars....then we should win every game.....morally at least.
If Prydie was fit (No one has clarified this) then it was a worrying error to leave him out. Surely he would have played at 15 in place of Amos. I know the boy had a good game but I can't understand the team selection if Prydie was available. If he had played we would have won.
[quote][p][bold]speakoutnow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert Shillabeer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]speakoutnow[/bold] wrote: I think DE should take resposibility for this loss by selecting a team without a regular front line kicker. Did he really think Dan Evans would just be able to step up and do the job? Missing kicks in front of goal is always going to come back and bite you. And then he changes BOTH 9 and 10....I know Dan was injured but Wayne was having a great game. I think he could also arrange for a ref to explain a few basic laws. The vital penalty error was just DULL again and without it Blues would have lost. To be fair the players from both sides gave 100 % but with so much possession and territory we should have won at a canter. Finally despite totally outplaying the Blues up front...Lewis outstanding again ...guess which pack will provide most 6 nations squad members?[/p][/quote]To be honest I spect to be called something lie Darren's puppy or something, but he did pick a side that should have morally won the game. There was some choices in the sub situation that did seem strange like taking one of your strongest players off, was he injured in some way not obvious to the watching supporters, only he Cain explain that one. The Dragons did well apart from turning pressure into points, on the balance of things the Dragons should have won by at east six points, but there we go. Strange old game Rugby![/p][/quote]Yet again no criticism of DE by RS...no surprise there then. He did pick an excellent team and one which should have won BUT.... I repeat ...if you go into a game that was likely to be played in awful conditions and where points are going to be hard to come then you MUST pick a front line line kicker who can take every point on offer.... simples! As to picking a team to win on morals perhaps we should pick a team of vicars....then we should win every game.....morally at least.[/p][/quote]If Prydie was fit (No one has clarified this) then it was a worrying error to leave him out. Surely he would have played at 15 in place of Amos. I know the boy had a good game but I can't understand the team selection if Prydie was available. If he had played we would have won. Euwan Usami
  • Score: 0

2:43pm Thu 27 Dec 12

Doberman1 says...

Is anyone surprised by more baffling DE decisions, as has been said by the majority on here - HE IS OUT OF HIS DEPTH.

* looking forward to Cross Keys v Newport tonight!
Is anyone surprised by more baffling DE decisions, as has been said by the majority on here - HE IS OUT OF HIS DEPTH. * looking forward to Cross Keys v Newport tonight! Doberman1
  • Score: 0

3:02pm Thu 27 Dec 12

Euwan Usami says...

Doberman1 wrote:
Is anyone surprised by more baffling DE decisions, as has been said by the majority on here - HE IS OUT OF HIS DEPTH.

* looking forward to Cross Keys v Newport tonight!
Me too. Newport need to turn up tonight though. The Cardiff game was shocking. Cmon the port! :)
[quote][p][bold]Doberman1[/bold] wrote: Is anyone surprised by more baffling DE decisions, as has been said by the majority on here - HE IS OUT OF HIS DEPTH. * looking forward to Cross Keys v Newport tonight![/p][/quote]Me too. Newport need to turn up tonight though. The Cardiff game was shocking. Cmon the port! :) Euwan Usami
  • Score: 0

3:14pm Thu 27 Dec 12

high x boy says...

hopefully we have the least debt of the four regions.West is best are in debt again.
hopefully we have the least debt of the four regions.West is best are in debt again. high x boy
  • Score: 0

9:44pm Thu 27 Dec 12

emlynkide says...

what the hell is the matter with you lott, cant you see that youre doing roger lewis's job for him, with you constantly going on about degrading the dragons, the more he thinks you expect it, the stronger his case is getting, get wise and stop harping on about it, use your flaming heads, and get behind our region its all wev'e got.
what the hell is the matter with you lott, cant you see that youre doing roger lewis's job for him, with you constantly going on about degrading the dragons, the more he thinks you expect it, the stronger his case is getting, get wise and stop harping on about it, use your flaming heads, and get behind our region its all wev'e got. emlynkide
  • Score: 0

1:03am Fri 28 Dec 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

emlynkide wrote:
what the hell is the matter with you lott, cant you see that youre doing roger lewis's job for him, with you constantly going on about degrading the dragons, the more he thinks you expect it, the stronger his case is getting, get wise and stop harping on about it, use your flaming heads, and get behind our region its all wev'e got.
Careful you may be branded as a lap dog of DE coming out with little pearls like that. The main joke of Welsh rugby is the WRU CEO. His job is the manage the business not spout stupid negative suggestions to the media simply to get his name in print. The best doers are often those who are not noticed doing their bit quietly in the background.
[quote][p][bold]emlynkide[/bold] wrote: what the hell is the matter with you lott, cant you see that youre doing roger lewis's job for him, with you constantly going on about degrading the dragons, the more he thinks you expect it, the stronger his case is getting, get wise and stop harping on about it, use your flaming heads, and get behind our region its all wev'e got.[/p][/quote]Careful you may be branded as a lap dog of DE coming out with little pearls like that. The main joke of Welsh rugby is the WRU CEO. His job is the manage the business not spout stupid negative suggestions to the media simply to get his name in print. The best doers are often those who are not noticed doing their bit quietly in the background. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

3:58pm Fri 28 Dec 12

crosskeysgirl18 says...

Ok so if the Dragons are downgraded to a development side, does this mean that professional Gwent clubs like Cross Keys and Newport will be going to the regional side the Blues? That's what it looks like to me Roger Lewis! From what the Dragons are doing, Im surprised anyone is still supporting them. They're an embarrassment to Newport and Gwent! They need DE out and someone like Kingsley Jones in. They shouldve beaten the Blues on Boxing Day but I knew from the start they wouldnt! Look at the star players theyve got in their side. Its no wonder Lydiate has gone to a French club! Im pretty sure Faletau will accept a mega-money deal for a French club. Pretty obvious with the way this deal is going!!!
Ok so if the Dragons are downgraded to a development side, does this mean that professional Gwent clubs like Cross Keys and Newport will be going to the regional side the Blues? That's what it looks like to me Roger Lewis! From what the Dragons are doing, Im surprised anyone is still supporting them. They're an embarrassment to Newport and Gwent! They need DE out and someone like Kingsley Jones in. They shouldve beaten the Blues on Boxing Day but I knew from the start they wouldnt! Look at the star players theyve got in their side. Its no wonder Lydiate has gone to a French club! Im pretty sure Faletau will accept a mega-money deal for a French club. Pretty obvious with the way this deal is going!!! crosskeysgirl18
  • Score: 0

8:59pm Fri 28 Dec 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

crosskeysgirl18 wrote:
Ok so if the Dragons are downgraded to a development side, does this mean that professional Gwent clubs like Cross Keys and Newport will be going to the regional side the Blues? That's what it looks like to me Roger Lewis! From what the Dragons are doing, Im surprised anyone is still supporting them. They're an embarrassment to Newport and Gwent! They need DE out and someone like Kingsley Jones in. They shouldve beaten the Blues on Boxing Day but I knew from the start they wouldnt! Look at the star players theyve got in their side. Its no wonder Lydiate has gone to a French club! Im pretty sure Faletau will accept a mega-money deal for a French club. Pretty obvious with the way this deal is going!!!
Umm I was at the game and the Dragons bossed it from the start. The Blues never threatened our try line and defended the full 80. Two very iffy decisitions gave the Blues six points. The push in the back was a rough decision not from a technical point of view but the ball was going into touch and in any other game may well have gone without notice. The penalty that gave the Blues thier last kick at goal was purely a reflex catch from a knock on and a scrum would have been fairer. With better goal kicking it would have been a win for the Dragons and that shows how much the Dragos wanted to win, the will is there but the luck isn't.
[quote][p][bold]crosskeysgirl18[/bold] wrote: Ok so if the Dragons are downgraded to a development side, does this mean that professional Gwent clubs like Cross Keys and Newport will be going to the regional side the Blues? That's what it looks like to me Roger Lewis! From what the Dragons are doing, Im surprised anyone is still supporting them. They're an embarrassment to Newport and Gwent! They need DE out and someone like Kingsley Jones in. They shouldve beaten the Blues on Boxing Day but I knew from the start they wouldnt! Look at the star players theyve got in their side. Its no wonder Lydiate has gone to a French club! Im pretty sure Faletau will accept a mega-money deal for a French club. Pretty obvious with the way this deal is going!!![/p][/quote]Umm I was at the game and the Dragons bossed it from the start. The Blues never threatened our try line and defended the full 80. Two very iffy decisitions gave the Blues six points. The push in the back was a rough decision not from a technical point of view but the ball was going into touch and in any other game may well have gone without notice. The penalty that gave the Blues thier last kick at goal was purely a reflex catch from a knock on and a scrum would have been fairer. With better goal kicking it would have been a win for the Dragons and that shows how much the Dragos wanted to win, the will is there but the luck isn't. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

9:55pm Fri 28 Dec 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

portforever wrote:
scotland had to drop a region and i think we are going the same way, there is not the money to surport 4 regions and the dragons are the worst region by far, so not looking very good for us,,
Portforever, your somewhat off the mark with the case in Scotland. The SRU formed four regional sides, Borders Reivers playing in Galashields, Caldidonian Reds playing in Aberdeen, Edinburgh playing at Murryfield although they were effectively kicked out due to a dispute over money and Glasgow. This then became two but went back up to three when Borders were reformed only to drop out at the end of the 2005/6 season. Leaving the two sides now in Scotland and look where Scottish rugby is now, just muddling along at the moment, something that could result for Wales if there is a reduction to two or three regions.
[quote][p][bold]portforever[/bold] wrote: scotland had to drop a region and i think we are going the same way, there is not the money to surport 4 regions and the dragons are the worst region by far, so not looking very good for us,,[/p][/quote]Portforever, your somewhat off the mark with the case in Scotland. The SRU formed four regional sides, Borders Reivers playing in Galashields, Caldidonian Reds playing in Aberdeen, Edinburgh playing at Murryfield although they were effectively kicked out due to a dispute over money and Glasgow. This then became two but went back up to three when Borders were reformed only to drop out at the end of the 2005/6 season. Leaving the two sides now in Scotland and look where Scottish rugby is now, just muddling along at the moment, something that could result for Wales if there is a reduction to two or three regions. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

2:07pm Mon 31 Dec 12

ebbwdragon says...

Robert Shillabeer wrote:
crosskeysgirl18 wrote:
Ok so if the Dragons are downgraded to a development side, does this mean that professional Gwent clubs like Cross Keys and Newport will be going to the regional side the Blues? That's what it looks like to me Roger Lewis! From what the Dragons are doing, Im surprised anyone is still supporting them. They're an embarrassment to Newport and Gwent! They need DE out and someone like Kingsley Jones in. They shouldve beaten the Blues on Boxing Day but I knew from the start they wouldnt! Look at the star players theyve got in their side. Its no wonder Lydiate has gone to a French club! Im pretty sure Faletau will accept a mega-money deal for a French club. Pretty obvious with the way this deal is going!!!
Umm I was at the game and the Dragons bossed it from the start. The Blues never threatened our try line and defended the full 80. Two very iffy decisitions gave the Blues six points. The push in the back was a rough decision not from a technical point of view but the ball was going into touch and in any other game may well have gone without notice. The penalty that gave the Blues thier last kick at goal was purely a reflex catch from a knock on and a scrum would have been fairer. With better goal kicking it would have been a win for the Dragons and that shows how much the Dragos wanted to win, the will is there but the luck isn't.
The final penalty wasn"t knocked on it was knocked back, therefore it can't have been offside, why is nobody talking about this ?
[quote][p][bold]Robert Shillabeer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]crosskeysgirl18[/bold] wrote: Ok so if the Dragons are downgraded to a development side, does this mean that professional Gwent clubs like Cross Keys and Newport will be going to the regional side the Blues? That's what it looks like to me Roger Lewis! From what the Dragons are doing, Im surprised anyone is still supporting them. They're an embarrassment to Newport and Gwent! They need DE out and someone like Kingsley Jones in. They shouldve beaten the Blues on Boxing Day but I knew from the start they wouldnt! Look at the star players theyve got in their side. Its no wonder Lydiate has gone to a French club! Im pretty sure Faletau will accept a mega-money deal for a French club. Pretty obvious with the way this deal is going!!![/p][/quote]Umm I was at the game and the Dragons bossed it from the start. The Blues never threatened our try line and defended the full 80. Two very iffy decisitions gave the Blues six points. The push in the back was a rough decision not from a technical point of view but the ball was going into touch and in any other game may well have gone without notice. The penalty that gave the Blues thier last kick at goal was purely a reflex catch from a knock on and a scrum would have been fairer. With better goal kicking it would have been a win for the Dragons and that shows how much the Dragos wanted to win, the will is there but the luck isn't.[/p][/quote]The final penalty wasn"t knocked on it was knocked back, therefore it can't have been offside, why is nobody talking about this ? ebbwdragon
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree