Edinburgh not ruling out trialist signings
6:36am Friday 30th May 2014 in Sport
NEWPORT County AFC boss Justin Edinburgh isn’t ruling out his squad being boosted by a trialist or two next season after admitting the club have been “inundated,” with offers to view players.
The Exiles are gearing up for a second season in the elite 92, as they bid to improve on their debut campaign in the Football League which saw them finish 14th in League Two.
Edinburgh has been successful in retaining the core of his squad and has added two new faces with Darren Jones and Yan Klukowski joining after their contracts expired at AFC Wimbledon and Forest Green respectively.
A third summer signing is expected to be confirmed within the next 48 hours and the Argus understands Edinburgh has also held talks with a long-term midfield target.
However, the restructuring of the club, which will see them field a reserve side next term playing in a weekly league, has increased the likelihood that Newport might also look to add some non-contract assets to their playing personnel for next season.
The manager is keen to make it club policy that the Exiles try and attract local and Welsh players as they look to build a long-term future at a minimum in League Two.
Speaking exclusively to the Argus, Edinburgh explained: “We aren’t looking to bring in a huge number of players this summer as I’ve explained, we are looking to strengthen specific areas,” he said.
“We are very happy with the two signings we’ve made so far and we are still targeting reinforcements in defence and midfield and we are very close with one.
“But that’s about adhering to the financial regulations in place in terms of wages compared to your turnover.
“That is restrictive but we are changing the way we are able to offer players opportunities by having a reserve team.
“We are going to look at some trialists, we’ve been inundated with offers and that was within a week of the season ending.
“There are certain people in the game whose opinions you trust and so we will look at players they’ve recommended and there are certain players based in Wales we’ve invited to come and be involved in pre-season.
“We might not be able to sign many, or any of them, depending on what happens with other targets, but it is certainly possible we will.
“And what we’ll also be able to do now is offer players out of contract of playing at a lower level, the chance to play reserve football and be around the first team squad.”
Edinburgh is keen to ensure players such as Andrew Hughes, Mike Flynn, Byron Anthony and Jones are the start of a conveyer belt of local talent to wear amber.
“I want youngsters in this city and the surrounding area to grow up aspiring to play for Newport County and to do that you need to show them it is possible,” he said.
Comments are closed on this article.