NEWPORT HSOB U-14s travelled to NEWBRIDGE for a thrilling game with both sides having to work hard in the wet conditions.

The away side got off the mark first with Adam Hennessey going over for a try only for the home side to score.

In the second half James McCarthy used his blistering pace to score to put NHSOB ahead again only for the hosts to equalise straight after.

The Newport side piled on pressure in the closing ten minutes but just could not get over the try line and it ended in a 10-10 draw.

Despite their opponents having a player sent off in the second half and putting up a great fight throughout, Newport Schools Under-15s lost a thrilling Dewar Shield encounter to a very talented Bridgend outfit at Pill Harriers RFC last Friday night.

Bridgend took an early lead with a penalty but Newport hit back instantly with a converted try followed by a penalty.

Two quick tries, one converted, by Bridgend looked to have given them the half-time advantage but Newport crossed for a converted try to give them a 17-15 lead at the break.

Bridgend took control of the early part of the second half, scoring two tries and a sublime 35-yard drop goal.

Newport got themselves back in to the game but the last hurrah went to Bridgend who scored the last try.

Newport Schools lost the match 35-22 and they would like to thank Pill Harriers for their support and generous hospitality throughout the evening, the Friends of Newport Rugby Trust for their sponsorship of the training kit and all the parents, guardians and friends that supported both teams.

Newport Schools play their next fixture against Pontypridd Schools on Friday, October 5 at Beddau RFC – your support for both teams would be greatly appreciated.

CROESYCEILIOG U-12s 31 Cwmbran U-12s 0 – Croesyceiliog enjoyed an emphatic win over local rivals Cwmbran on Sunday.

The rain didn’t stop the home side playing top quality rugby for a well deserved victory.

The visitors started the stronger and only resolute defence stopped Cwmbran taking the lead. Rob Marsh then broke away after good work at the ruck and a try-saving tackle by Cwmbran saw Tom Stephens score the first try from a lineout, Travis Turner converting.

Centre Craig Allen broke down the wing from the restart before scrum half Charlie Paraskeva passed to Marsh on the wing who cut inside and scored between the posts from his own half, fly half Turner again converting.

The home side started to control the scrum despite being up against a much bigger pack.

The front row of Stephens, Josh Biggs and Cai Roberts won ball against the head several times. Turner scored again before half-time and converted to give Croesyceiliog a 21-0 lead at the break.

Cwmbran started well in the second half but excellent defence by locks Lewis Thomas and Jordan Stinton, and the back row of Liam Beer, Ethan Davies and Cai Turner, worked hard to keep them at bay.

Good work on the left from winger Evan Probert and flanker Davies set up a second try for Stephens.

Solid defence by centre Joel Manning and full back Dan McGee again kept the away side out as they looked for their first score.

However, the home side again won the ball at a ruck and Davies completed the scoring with a fine run from his own half.

Substitutes Ieuan Tenby, Jack Fowler, Scott Morgan, Sam Dockree, Dyfan Thomas, Ethan Podmore, Jonnie Black, Ben Morris and Joel Richards brought energy and a new shape for the hosts in the second half.

Croesyceiliog’s forwards work tirelessly in every match and set up good ball for the backs to use their pace in their first season on a full sized pitch.

The signs look good for another successful year and they have a challenging fixture away at Pontypridd next.

NEW PANTEG U-16s travelled to Monmouth last Sunday and came away with a convincing 34-5 win.

Panteg applied pressure on the home side straight from the kick off but couldn’t manage a score until the 15 minute when No 8 Matt Bowles broke on the blindside from a five-metre scrum to feed scrum half Ethan Winstone who crashed over in the corner.

Captain Jake Summers was next to score after some good driving played by the forwards allowed him to force his way over close to the posts, Winstone adding the conversion.

A weaving run by Ben Eveson saw the strong running centre add to the Panteg tally to make the half-time score 17-0.

The second half saw Monmouth start with renewed vigour and they managed a score of their own after good interplay between backs and forwards.

Panteg's next try was probably the best of the game.

A quick tap penalty in their own half saw outside half Ryan Chere chip over the oncoming defence for Johnny Munro to run onto, the speedy winger catching the ball and racing 50m to score under the posts, Winstone again adding the extras.

Charlie Gardener was next to score after a lineout close to the home side’s line saw the back row forward driven over the white wash by his teammates. Munro finished off the scoring when he raced over from wide out in the last minute.

On a wet and windy day, CAERLEON U-15s secured another excellent win, this time by 34-5, when they entertained Beaufort.

The ball was often like a bar of soap but Caerleon demonstrated great enterprise and handling skills throughout.

They pressurised the visitors’ try line and after a deft kick through, winger Andrew Ogun raced through and won the foot race to grab the first of his two tries.

The first conversion was missed but Blake Climo found his range for with his second attempt.

Superb combination work by forwards and backs saw Caerleon centre Ellis Jones score a fine unconverted try in the corner. Before the interval, more points were added when Chorley Bale made a lovely break to score unopposed under the posts.

At half-time, Caerleon were 22-0 up.

In the first quarter of the second half, Caerleon lost momentum and allowed Beaufort back into the game.

Although they defended well, the pressure finally told and the visitors scored a fine try in the corner.

However it wasn’t long before Caerleon regained the initiative and second row Maximillian Williams displayed a great turn of speed to race through and score under the posts, the conversion duly added.

With the last play of the game, Climo scored a well deserved try.

ST JOSEPH'S CASNEWYDD U-8s hosted Caldicot U-8s on a very wet morning at the Duffryn Fields with the bare minimum of seven players available.

St Joseph’s team consisted of: Carreg Bull, Nathan Bull, Stefano Cataldo, Ben Smith, Daniel Vittle, Morgan Williams and Aedan Wiltshire.

The home side kicked off and immediately got on the scoreboard but Caldicot hit back straight away.

It was quite an open affair with tries being awarded in the first half at a rate of nearly one per minute and St Joe’s led 5-4 at half-time.

The second half was similar to the first with tries aplenty, but the Newport side were more dominant in this period. It was St Joe’s greater pace and ability to spot gaps in the Caldicot defence which gave them the upper hand and they won 10-7.

St Joe’s tries were scored by Vittle from a full length of the pitch run, Williams from deep in his own half, Wiltshire with two and Cataldo and Smith getting a hat trick each.

The Bull cousins also had some great runs but the St Joe’s man of the match award went to Smith for putting some excellent training during the week into practice in poor match conditions.


FORGESIDE Under-7s mini side entered a new era on Sunday when they fielded their first ever team at this level to take on Pontypool United away.

The game was an exciting entertaining affair played at a fast pace in extremely poor weather conditions.

Regardless of the weather, Forgeside’s boys and girls played some outstanding rugby throughout.

They scored some excellent tries and some very good tags were made by both sides.

This performance will give the newly formed side a good platform to build on and the future looks very bright for the Black and Ambers of Forgeside. The club would like to thank United for their good sportsmanship and hospitality.

Weakened by illness, NEWPORT HSOB Under-8s had to borrow two players from their visitors Llandaff North.

Despite the cold and wet conditions both sides showed good hands and a willingness to run. This was reflected early on when tries by Cameron O’Dwyer (2) and Rhys Smith was matched by Llandaff.

The try for try exchange was broken when a loose ball was picked up by Megan Davies who fed one of the guest players who scored.

This was quickly followed when the ball was turned over and NHSOB went down the pitch for Cameron O’Dwyer to score. Llandaff hit back, scoring two tries to bring the score to 5-5.

NHSOB then scored twice through Rhys Smith and Dan Wall before Llandaff replied.

But Rufus Southcombe scored to make the half-time score 8-6.

The second half was much like the first when tries by Rufus Southcombe, Cameron O’Dwyer and a guest player were answered by three tries from Llandaff.

With the score at 11-9 Llandaff applied the pressure and despite good tagging from Adam Healy they pulled it back to within a score.

Cameron O’Dwyer scored his fifth try and Llandaff replied before Rhys Smith got his third try while Llandaff scored the last try to make the final score 13-12.

NHSOB would like to thank Llandaff for an entertaining match and for lending them some excellent players.

ST JULIAN'S HSOB under-13s entertained a Hafodyrynys side who ran into a home team in fine form.

Despite making a number of changes, Saints were still too strong for a plucky but out gunned visitors.

First half tries by Tomos Davey, James Haslett, Callum Steer and Luc Slocombe gave the hosts a 20-0 half-time lead. Despite Hafodyrynys challenging in all phases of play, Saints dominated territory and possession to run in second half tries by Slocombe, Haslett and Sam Bourne, with Steer adding two more for his hat trick.

Sam Burt-Ryan converted one try. Hafodyrynys got a late converted try as St Julian’s triumphed 52-7. Callum Steer was man of the match.

Last week St Julian’s played local rivals Newport HSOB and raced into a 12-point lead after tries by Alexi Webb and captain Rob Moore.

NHSOB tackled determinedly but Webb increased Saints’ lead when he scored in the corner.

Spreading the ball, Saints’ Oakley Mighten found himself in space out wide and rounded his man to score under the posts.

Sam Broadribb put over his second conversion to make it 24-0.

Up front Tom Watson of the Old Boys was causing problems as was Saints’ Josh Booth who put in some determined drives.

Picking up a loose ball, Jordan Simmons raced through to make it 29-0 before Webb received a good pass from Broadribb to score and increase Saints’ lead further.

NHSOB hit back with a well deserved try by Samy Taylor, but despite their efforts they were unable to prevent further scores from Mighten (two) and Moore.

Broadribb converted three second half tries before Rhys John scored a long distance try for NHSOB, which Darren Whelton converted to make the final score 55-12 in St Julian’s favour. Saints’ player of the match was Jordan Simmons.