Tributes paid to Tom Maynard
6:23pm Monday 18th June 2012 in Latest cricket
THE WORLD of cricket united in grief today at the death of Surrey batsman Tom Maynard, who died at the age of 23 after being hit by a train in London this morning.
Here are some of the messages of condolence for the player from leading figures within the game.
* England and Surrey batsman Kevin Pietersen said: "So unbelievably sad!! The Maynard family is so special!! Thoughts are with this special family!! Loads of love guys!! KP xxx £RIPTom’’
* Former England international and current Glamorgan seamer Simon Jones said: "Don't know what to say or do, bruiser you'll be sorely missed, you were a special, special person and talent! Love you bro.’’
* England fast bowler Steven Finn said: "So sad to hear the news of Tom Maynard. Thought with family and friends. Very talented and a top guy. £tooyoung’’
* England bowler Stuart Broad said: "Absolutely gutted this morning to hear the news about Tom Maynard. A lovely guy and great talent. £RIPTom’’
* England all-rounder Tim Bresnan said: "Was gutted to hear the news of Tom Maynard here at the oval this morning A talented player is lost so young Thoughts with his family £RIPTom
* England wicket-keeper Matt Prior said: "In shock at the news of Tom Maynard! Such a waste of a very talented and much loved player. Condolences to the Maynard family £RIPtommaynard’’
* England quick Graham Onions said: "Words can't describe how sad I am hearing the news about Tom Maynard,my thoughts are with his family and friends £RIPTom’’
* Former England all-rounder Andrew Flintoff said: "tragic news that a great lad , Tom Maynard is no longer with us . All my thoughts are with his family at this awful time x x’’
* Former Australian cricketer Tom Moody said: "Sincere condolences to the Maynard family at this tragic time. Tom Maynard leaves us far too soon. £RIP’’
* Former England skipper Michael Vaughan said: "Someone with so much talent and so much to luck forward too...Why is live so cruel sometimes...?? £RIPTomMaynard... Thoughts are with Matt Maynard and his family.. Words can't describe the Terribly sad news that Tom Maynard has died aged 23...’’
* Surrey chairman Richard Thompson said: "Tom Maynard was a prodigiously talented young batsman who had made an incredible start to his career and was clearly destined for far greater things. The impact Tom made in such a short period of time for Surrey CCC spoke for itself.’’
* England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) chairman Giles Clarke said: "This is a very sad day for everyone connected with Surrey County Cricket club and for Glamorgan County Cricket club where Tom spent the early part of his career. Tom was a player of enormous potential who had already represented England Lions and had an exciting future ahead of him.’’
* Hugh Morris, managing director of England cricket, said: "He had the world at his feet. I played with his old man when he played for England and Tom was very much on that pathway. He was an incredibly talented cricketer. He played for the Lions in the winter. He impressed all the coaches there. They liked him as a person and as a player and to have his life cut short in this way is an absolute tragedy.’’
Comments are closed on this article.