Dragons chief targets 50,000 crowd for Millennium Stadium double header

NEWPORT Gwent Dragons chief executive Chris Brown has targeted at least a 50,000 crowd for a Millennium Stadium double-header after the region signed up to playing a ‘home’ game in Cardiff for the next four seasons.

The Dragons will take on the Scarlets as part of the event on Saturday, March 30, with Cardiff Blues also hosting the Ospreys.

The derby day, which is being held in partnership with the Welsh Rugby Union, will take place for the next four seasons with the Dragons giving up home advantage against a west Walian opponent, with the Ospreys likely to be their opposition in 2013/14.

Dragons season ticket holders will NOT have to pay extra for tickets and those who have corporate hospitality at Rodney Parade will benefit from the same at the Millennium Stadium.

The profits from the double-header, which is being underwritten by the Union, will be split between the Dragons and Blues.

The Ospreys and Scarlets, who are both reluctant to make their fans travel large distances for ‘home’ encounters, will not directly benefit financially.

Last season’s encounter between the Dragons and Scarlets at Rodney Parade attracted a crowd of 6,897 and Brown, while understanding that some supporters may feel put out, is hoping the event in the capital will boost the region’s coffers.

“It was a really big decision and one that we didn’t take lightly,” said Brown.

“We had to weight up how our fans will feel about heading to Cardiff to watch the game and we were very mindful of our regular season ticket holders and those in hospitality. We had to take that into account and they will be well provided for here.

“If they use a box at Rodney Parade they will be able to use a box here and a season ticket holder will be able to get in here.

“The down side is that they have got to get to Cardiff but the up side is that they will get to see two games.

“We hope to get a financial boost but I believe it will be good for Welsh rugby as well as the regions that are hosting it.

“In order to make it work we have got to work towards building a 50,000 crowd and I am confident that, working together, we can achieve that.”

Tickets for the event will be £10 for under-18s and £25 for adults with a family ticket package (two adults, two children) costing £50.

WRU chief executive Roger Lewis is hopeful of matching the success of the London double-header, which kicks off the Aviva Premiership campaign every season.

“It has taken us five years to put this fixture together but I am confident it will be worth the wait,” said Lewis.

l Meanwhile, the Dragons will be without captain Lewis Evans for their RaboDirect Pro12 opener against Zebre on Friday evening.

The openside is still struggling with a calf injury and with Darren Waters out for at least six months that means Jevon Groves is set to be handed the number seven jersey.

Lock Rob Sidoli, Argus Dragon of the Year for 2011/12, also misses out through injury but should be back for next weekend’s away game at Leinster.

Dragons squad: D Evans, T Prydie, W Harries, A Tuilagi, A Smith, J Dixon, P Leach, L Robling, Steffan Jones, W Evans, J Evans, P Price, N Williams, Steve Jones, H Gustafson, S Parry, N Buck, D Way, A Coombs, A Jones, I Nimmo, J Groves, D Lydiate, T Faletau, H Stoddart.

Comments (37)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:10am Wed 29 Aug 12

kalwales@hotmail.com says...

What a Great Idea, at least some initiative, lets hope all fans get behind this !!
What a Great Idea, at least some initiative, lets hope all fans get behind this !! kalwales@hotmail.com
  • Score: 0

8:32am Wed 29 Aug 12

rhinestine says...

Loosing home advantage?? I don't like it from a Rugby point of view, but from a commercial stand point, I can see the point of it.

It would be interesting to know how much the Dragons make out of it..
Loosing home advantage?? I don't like it from a Rugby point of view, but from a commercial stand point, I can see the point of it. It would be interesting to know how much the Dragons make out of it.. rhinestine
  • Score: 0

9:54am Wed 29 Aug 12

Iain S says...

Good idea but poor planning, there is full league fixtures on that day from the premiership down or haven't they noticed?
Good idea but poor planning, there is full league fixtures on that day from the premiership down or haven't they noticed? Iain S
  • Score: 0

10:46am Wed 29 Aug 12

LSB Bee says...

I think Iain S that quite possibly they know and simply don't care
I think Iain S that quite possibly they know and simply don't care LSB Bee
  • Score: 0

11:36am Wed 29 Aug 12

high x boy says...

best if they move all the other games to a new date
best if they move all the other games to a new date high x boy
  • Score: 0

11:36am Wed 29 Aug 12

high x boy says...

best if they move all the other games to a new date
best if they move all the other games to a new date high x boy
  • Score: 0

2:26pm Wed 29 Aug 12

Regionalist says...

Bloody hell. Jevon Groves is not a seven! Surely we'd be better off with toby or danny moving to openside and letting either Jevon or Coombes come back into the back row.
Bloody hell. Jevon Groves is not a seven! Surely we'd be better off with toby or danny moving to openside and letting either Jevon or Coombes come back into the back row. Regionalist
  • Score: 0

2:55pm Wed 29 Aug 12

blackandamber says...

Given the gates of last years fixtures I think the fifty thousand estimate even for two games on the same day is an 80% over estimate, the only people to benefit will be the w r u. Must have been thought up by the same idiot who thought playing the Ospreys at 7:00 on New years eve was a good idea as well.
Given the gates of last years fixtures I think the fifty thousand estimate even for two games on the same day is an 80% over estimate, the only people to benefit will be the w r u. Must have been thought up by the same idiot who thought playing the Ospreys at 7:00 on New years eve was a good idea as well. blackandamber
  • Score: 0

3:36pm Wed 29 Aug 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

Please give this idea a chance, playing an all Welsh set of games is an attractive idea. Given the fact that three quarters of the normal support will make the effort and a possible number of others would love a chance to go to the Millenium stadium for two games where no team would have advantage of home ground should provide an afternoon of great rugby. Season ticket holders get two games, see most of the current Welsh side and enjoy some banter with the three opposition sides supporters. Looking forward to it myself and await details of how the ticketing works.
Please give this idea a chance, playing an all Welsh set of games is an attractive idea. Given the fact that three quarters of the normal support will make the effort and a possible number of others would love a chance to go to the Millenium stadium for two games where no team would have advantage of home ground should provide an afternoon of great rugby. Season ticket holders get two games, see most of the current Welsh side and enjoy some banter with the three opposition sides supporters. Looking forward to it myself and await details of how the ticketing works. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

7:50pm Wed 29 Aug 12

corpardguy says...

On balance a good Idea, but better look at the dates and kick off times more carefully if this is to be a regular feature of the Season.
I don't like loosing home crowd advantage against these guys.......It has always been worth 7 points at the parade.
But It should be a great occasion as long as the yobos are held in check.
On balance a good Idea, but better look at the dates and kick off times more carefully if this is to be a regular feature of the Season. I don't like loosing home crowd advantage against these guys.......It has always been worth 7 points at the parade. But It should be a great occasion as long as the yobos are held in check. corpardguy
  • Score: 0

8:03pm Wed 29 Aug 12

Nptsportsfan says...

Yobbos at rugby at last an acknowledgement from a rugby fan that they exist-don't tell Rhinestine.
Yobbos at rugby at last an acknowledgement from a rugby fan that they exist-don't tell Rhinestine. Nptsportsfan
  • Score: 0

9:00pm Wed 29 Aug 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

I must lead a very sheltered life because I have not seen any yobs at any rugby event both at Rodney Parade or elsewhere come to that. I went to watch the County last Saturday and saw no evidence of any yobish behaviour. Perhaps corpardguy mixes with the wrong crowd.
I must lead a very sheltered life because I have not seen any yobs at any rugby event both at Rodney Parade or elsewhere come to that. I went to watch the County last Saturday and saw no evidence of any yobish behaviour. Perhaps corpardguy mixes with the wrong crowd. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

9:44pm Wed 29 Aug 12

corpardguy says...

Dear Robert..
ITS in CARDIFF! bearing in mind the double header and possible evening finish I was refering to the yobos OUTSIDE the ground hanging around the bus/train stations and local watering holes.
I have only seen one nasty lot of Fan behaviour at a rugby ground in over 50 years of watching (Pontypool vs South Wales Police........no supprises there) and even that was nipped in the bud by the real fans in the immediate vacinity.
Dear Robert.. ITS in CARDIFF! bearing in mind the double header and possible evening finish I was refering to the yobos OUTSIDE the ground hanging around the bus/train stations and local watering holes. I have only seen one nasty lot of Fan behaviour at a rugby ground in over 50 years of watching (Pontypool vs South Wales Police........no supprises there) and even that was nipped in the bud by the real fans in the immediate vacinity. corpardguy
  • Score: 0

10:55am Thu 30 Aug 12

Dai the Milk says...

corpardguy wrote:
Dear Robert..
ITS in CARDIFF! bearing in mind the double header and possible evening finish I was refering to the yobos OUTSIDE the ground hanging around the bus/train stations and local watering holes.
I have only seen one nasty lot of Fan behaviour at a rugby ground in over 50 years of watching (Pontypool vs South Wales Police........no supprises there) and even that was nipped in the bud by the real fans in the immediate vacinity.
I take it you are referring to the police when you say there were 'no surprises there'?
[quote][p][bold]corpardguy[/bold] wrote: Dear Robert.. ITS in CARDIFF! bearing in mind the double header and possible evening finish I was refering to the yobos OUTSIDE the ground hanging around the bus/train stations and local watering holes. I have only seen one nasty lot of Fan behaviour at a rugby ground in over 50 years of watching (Pontypool vs South Wales Police........no supprises there) and even that was nipped in the bud by the real fans in the immediate vacinity.[/p][/quote]I take it you are referring to the police when you say there were 'no surprises there'? Dai the Milk
  • Score: 0

10:58am Thu 30 Aug 12

Dai the Milk says...

Desperate times demand desperate measures. The 'regional' (superclub) concept has not been bought into and won't for another generation or two at least. So they have to do something to bump up the numbers in the meantime.
Desperate times demand desperate measures. The 'regional' (superclub) concept has not been bought into and won't for another generation or two at least. So they have to do something to bump up the numbers in the meantime. Dai the Milk
  • Score: 0

11:15am Thu 30 Aug 12

rhinestine says...

Nptsportsfan wrote:
Yobbos at rugby at last an acknowledgement from a rugby fan that they exist-don't tell Rhinestine.
By yobbos he meant not letting any football fans in, as many of them can't read, they might wonder in at RP expecting a football match, when in fact a real man's game is being played, they might get upset and begin their yobbish behavior.
[quote][p][bold]Nptsportsfan[/bold] wrote: Yobbos at rugby at last an acknowledgement from a rugby fan that they exist-don't tell Rhinestine.[/p][/quote]By yobbos he meant not letting any football fans in, as many of them can't read, they might wonder in at RP expecting a football match, when in fact a real man's game is being played, they might get upset and begin their yobbish behavior. rhinestine
  • Score: 0

4:16pm Thu 30 Aug 12

SWBorderer says...

I think it's a great idea, I know we lose a home advantage but presumably the positionswill be reversed next season.
I hope the organisation is alive to the marketing potential that can be generated by this kind of venture and make it a full afternoon of entertainment. I certainly hope to be there.
I think it's a great idea, I know we lose a home advantage but presumably the positionswill be reversed next season. I hope the organisation is alive to the marketing potential that can be generated by this kind of venture and make it a full afternoon of entertainment. I certainly hope to be there. SWBorderer
  • Score: 0

5:40pm Thu 30 Aug 12

Nptsportsfan says...

Lol Rhinstine you make me laugh. Best part of 4500 wandered into RP on tuesday to watch NON-LEAGUE football. The Dragons and most sides they play have internationals in their sides and players who have played at world cups. County play in the fifth tier of football, Dragons play in the top tier and get a couple of thousand more, as for the sides palying tier 5 rugby I think they struggle to get 50-100.
Lol Rhinstine you make me laugh. Best part of 4500 wandered into RP on tuesday to watch NON-LEAGUE football. The Dragons and most sides they play have internationals in their sides and players who have played at world cups. County play in the fifth tier of football, Dragons play in the top tier and get a couple of thousand more, as for the sides palying tier 5 rugby I think they struggle to get 50-100. Nptsportsfan
  • Score: 0

8:11am Fri 31 Aug 12

rhinestine says...

Nptsportsfan wrote:
Lol Rhinstine you make me laugh. Best part of 4500 wandered into RP on tuesday to watch NON-LEAGUE football. The Dragons and most sides they play have internationals in their sides and players who have played at world cups. County play in the fifth tier of football, Dragons play in the top tier and get a couple of thousand more, as for the sides palying tier 5 rugby I think they struggle to get 50-100.
And you're point is???.....Fact - football is notorious for violence, tattooed, bald headed idiots and causing as much trouble as they can in their large group. (safety in numbers)

Its the honeymoon period for county at the moment, give it a season and we will see how it goes....all incidents do not get reported, but I hear county are full of it on their "supporters bus"
[quote][p][bold]Nptsportsfan[/bold] wrote: Lol Rhinstine you make me laugh. Best part of 4500 wandered into RP on tuesday to watch NON-LEAGUE football. The Dragons and most sides they play have internationals in their sides and players who have played at world cups. County play in the fifth tier of football, Dragons play in the top tier and get a couple of thousand more, as for the sides palying tier 5 rugby I think they struggle to get 50-100.[/p][/quote]And you're point is???.....Fact - football is notorious for violence, tattooed, bald headed idiots and causing as much trouble as they can in their large group. (safety in numbers) Its the honeymoon period for county at the moment, give it a season and we will see how it goes....all incidents do not get reported, but I hear county are full of it on their "supporters bus" rhinestine
  • Score: 0

8:29am Fri 31 Aug 12

Nptsportsfan says...

My point is that the potential is massive when nearly 4500 for NON LEAGUE football I can only wonder what we'd be getting if we were playing at the equivalent of level 1 like the dragons are.

Its ironic that you state all incidents do not get reported a bit like the FACT that the worse violence seen at the Millenium was at the last Wales V England rugby international, however as you rightly point out not everything gets reported-we couldn't have the rugby thugs embaarssed now could we, lets just turn a blind eye again.

While we're at it have you heard the new domestic abuse violence advert on the radio, its a woman asking her husband how the game went and he goes nuts-he's been drinking all day at a rugby international.

Cue Rhinstine not acknowledging the problems rugby has and the cover ups that take place.
My point is that the potential is massive when nearly 4500 for NON LEAGUE football I can only wonder what we'd be getting if we were playing at the equivalent of level 1 like the dragons are. Its ironic that you state all incidents do not get reported a bit like the FACT that the worse violence seen at the Millenium was at the last Wales V England rugby international, however as you rightly point out not everything gets reported-we couldn't have the rugby thugs embaarssed now could we, lets just turn a blind eye again. While we're at it have you heard the new domestic abuse violence advert on the radio, its a woman asking her husband how the game went and he goes nuts-he's been drinking all day at a rugby international. Cue Rhinstine not acknowledging the problems rugby has and the cover ups that take place. Nptsportsfan
  • Score: 0

8:07pm Sat 1 Sep 12

County says...

rhinestone you should work for the Daily Mail. Yes I can see dark times ahead for the County now, I mean where's the money going to come from?!
rhinestone you should work for the Daily Mail. Yes I can see dark times ahead for the County now, I mean where's the money going to come from?! County
  • Score: 0

2:33pm Sun 2 Sep 12

Gooda says...

Except for the 5,ooo or so fans the regions can muster, nobody gives a toss about this game. Period!!!
Except for the 5,ooo or so fans the regions can muster, nobody gives a toss about this game. Period!!! Gooda
  • Score: 0

3:55pm Sun 2 Sep 12

Nptsportsfan says...

It does make me laugh when they say rugby is the number one sport in Wales. The 2 league teams get more watching them than 4 regions and to be honest there's sometines not a lot between 1 of the atttendances at Cardiff or Swansea and the whole 4 regions put together. Go down any park in Newport and you'll see more football pitches than rugby pitches.
It does make me laugh when they say rugby is the number one sport in Wales. The 2 league teams get more watching them than 4 regions and to be honest there's sometines not a lot between 1 of the atttendances at Cardiff or Swansea and the whole 4 regions put together. Go down any park in Newport and you'll see more football pitches than rugby pitches. Nptsportsfan
  • Score: 0

4:44pm Sun 2 Sep 12

SizzlerTrainers says...

Nptsportsfan wrote:
It does make me laugh when they say rugby is the number one sport in Wales. The 2 league teams get more watching them than 4 regions and to be honest there's sometines not a lot between 1 of the atttendances at Cardiff or Swansea and the whole 4 regions put together. Go down any park in Newport and you'll see more football pitches than rugby pitches.
Probably because any thick tit can understand how to play Chavball, it should be renamed "Specialneedsball".
[quote][p][bold]Nptsportsfan[/bold] wrote: It does make me laugh when they say rugby is the number one sport in Wales. The 2 league teams get more watching them than 4 regions and to be honest there's sometines not a lot between 1 of the atttendances at Cardiff or Swansea and the whole 4 regions put together. Go down any park in Newport and you'll see more football pitches than rugby pitches.[/p][/quote]Probably because any thick tit can understand how to play Chavball, it should be renamed "Specialneedsball". SizzlerTrainers
  • Score: 0

8:27pm Sun 2 Sep 12

Nptsportsfan says...

Must be a lot of thick tits all over the world then because the world plays football not rugby.
Must be a lot of thick tits all over the world then because the world plays football not rugby. Nptsportsfan
  • Score: 0

9:33pm Sun 2 Sep 12

SizzlerTrainers says...

Proves my point.
Proves my point. SizzlerTrainers
  • Score: 0

9:44pm Sun 2 Sep 12

Nptsportsfan says...

Lol you haven't made a point sizzler.
Lol you haven't made a point sizzler. Nptsportsfan
  • Score: 0

9:56pm Sun 2 Sep 12

SizzlerTrainers says...

My point being that chavball is easier to understand than Rugby, so if you're not the sharpest knife in the box you can pick it up. Also, a lot of chavball's anti rugby nonsense that is spewed by it's affectionado's is born of embarrassment from not being able to understand the game of rugby. Rugby may not be as popular globally, but it is played on every continent, just so you know.
My point being that chavball is easier to understand than Rugby, so if you're not the sharpest knife in the box you can pick it up. Also, a lot of chavball's anti rugby nonsense that is spewed by it's affectionado's is born of embarrassment from not being able to understand the game of rugby. Rugby may not be as popular globally, but it is played on every continent, just so you know. SizzlerTrainers
  • Score: 0

10:13pm Sun 2 Sep 12

Nptsportsfan says...

I played rugby, always made the school team and was good enough to go to town training, I found it pretty basic to be honest.

Rugby is played on every continent, I already knew that, its just not played by many people.
I played rugby, always made the school team and was good enough to go to town training, I found it pretty basic to be honest. Rugby is played on every continent, I already knew that, its just not played by many people. Nptsportsfan
  • Score: 0

9:05am Mon 3 Sep 12

Nptsportsfan says...

This is the second time i've entered into a debate about football and rugby and a common theme sems to be that there is a misconception that you have to be highly intelligent to play rugby.

As we all know this is elitist crap, 2 of the most successful local sides of the last 20 years were hartridge (welsh brewers finals and winners) and Pill Harriers-trust me these sides weren't packed full with doctors,solicitors etc but down to earth working class salt of the earth lads.

The great welsh side of the 70's again had many working class lads in the side-the Pontypool front row being a great example of lads who went to the university of life and what a class act they were.

So my conclusion is that rugby is a game enjoyed and played by a lot of normal working class lads but it also has this snob element attached to it, who think they are a cut above the rest when in fact they're not.
This is the second time i've entered into a debate about football and rugby and a common theme sems to be that there is a misconception that you have to be highly intelligent to play rugby. As we all know this is elitist crap, 2 of the most successful local sides of the last 20 years were hartridge (welsh brewers finals and winners) and Pill Harriers-trust me these sides weren't packed full with doctors,solicitors etc but down to earth working class salt of the earth lads. The great welsh side of the 70's again had many working class lads in the side-the Pontypool front row being a great example of lads who went to the university of life and what a class act they were. So my conclusion is that rugby is a game enjoyed and played by a lot of normal working class lads but it also has this snob element attached to it, who think they are a cut above the rest when in fact they're not. Nptsportsfan
  • Score: 0

7:53pm Mon 3 Sep 12

SizzlerTrainers says...

A couple of things, 1. You must have played in the backs, and 2. Do you have a class war axe to grind?

I'm fully aware that rugby in Wales is largely working class, what you seem to have spectacularly misinterpreted what I'm getting at, football is a lot easier to understand than rugby with regards to the rules, and definitely elements of the game play.

This is definitely a factor in why football is so popular, if it hadn't been for the Sky sports money that flooded it back in the 90's, I doubt it would command such a height from its pedestal, a pedestal built from money and media hyperbole.

As for the working class boys who play it, would they be the same sort of boys who were fighting each other at Wembley and selling Cocaine to each other when County were finalists recently?
A couple of things, 1. You must have played in the backs, and 2. Do you have a class war axe to grind? I'm fully aware that rugby in Wales is largely working class, what you seem to have spectacularly misinterpreted what I'm getting at, football is a lot easier to understand than rugby with regards to the rules, and definitely elements of the game play. This is definitely a factor in why football is so popular, if it hadn't been for the Sky sports money that flooded it back in the 90's, I doubt it would command such a height from its pedestal, a pedestal built from money and media hyperbole. As for the working class boys who play it, would they be the same sort of boys who were fighting each other at Wembley and selling Cocaine to each other when County were finalists recently? SizzlerTrainers
  • Score: 0

4:35am Tue 4 Sep 12

cwmbrancarter says...

Both are great games! except the oscar goes to football (for the acting and drama).seriously you guys both have valid points. Football and rugby are two different games and when it comes to the world cup finals both great specticals.
Both are great games! except the oscar goes to football (for the acting and drama).seriously you guys both have valid points. Football and rugby are two different games and when it comes to the world cup finals both great specticals. cwmbrancarter
  • Score: 0

10:43am Tue 4 Sep 12

Nptsportsfan says...

Sizzler you lose a bit of respect when you call football chav ball or special needs ball.

With regards to backs and forwards I think the example I gave of the Pontypool frony row answers that, you're making out you've got to be a genius to be a forward in rugby-do me a favour!

Take a look back at your posts its full of derogatory comments which is par for the course when a rugby fan comparing rugby and football.

As for cocaine wasn't a England prop banned in the last couple of years for cocaine use.

If you're going to compare behaviour what about the FACT that there is 60% increase in domestic abuse when a rugby international takes place-big men hitting women.

As for the class thing again you'll find the higher class ground is usually taken by the rugby fans as it does carry a snob element following.

The sky money is recent what about through history football, has and always will be the bigger spectator sport.

The joke in school was always that the lads who weren't skilful enough to play football played rugby and in my school if the football boys played the team usually won, if they didn't they usually lost, we didn't have to be taught sidesteps we were naturals.

Rugby is not difficult to understand.

If you seen my previous exchanges with Rhinestine you'll realise that I watch both the Dragons and the County, but what i've found the same is that you're both quick to put the boot into football but slow to acknowledge that rugby has its problems too.
Sizzler you lose a bit of respect when you call football chav ball or special needs ball. With regards to backs and forwards I think the example I gave of the Pontypool frony row answers that, you're making out you've got to be a genius to be a forward in rugby-do me a favour! Take a look back at your posts its full of derogatory comments which is par for the course when a rugby fan comparing rugby and football. As for cocaine wasn't a England prop banned in the last couple of years for cocaine use. If you're going to compare behaviour what about the FACT that there is 60% increase in domestic abuse when a rugby international takes place-big men hitting women. As for the class thing again you'll find the higher class ground is usually taken by the rugby fans as it does carry a snob element following. The sky money is recent what about through history football, has and always will be the bigger spectator sport. The joke in school was always that the lads who weren't skilful enough to play football played rugby and in my school if the football boys played the team usually won, if they didn't they usually lost, we didn't have to be taught sidesteps we were naturals. Rugby is not difficult to understand. If you seen my previous exchanges with Rhinestine you'll realise that I watch both the Dragons and the County, but what i've found the same is that you're both quick to put the boot into football but slow to acknowledge that rugby has its problems too. Nptsportsfan
  • Score: 0

12:52pm Tue 4 Sep 12

SizzlerTrainers says...

Apologies for the Chavball etc comments, but it does come across like that via the media. Anyway, the front row, and pack play in general are some of the most complicated, and esoteric aspects of the game, I personally can't give forwards enough credit for what they have to learn and do on the pitch, and as much as I hate to admit it, I played most of my rugby in the backs.

I played football in school and found it the easiest sport I've ever played, really, not much to get my head around, and with a bit of pace and handling, I found anyone could look the part, played in the front row for a couple of years and found it a lot more complex. So football wasn't in serious trouble before the Sky money came into it then? mired in debt, terraces taken over by hooligans, families driven away by the violence.

As for your comment "The joke in school was always that the lads who weren't skilful enough to play football played rugby" I've heard this sort of thing from footballers all the time, just because you say it, it doesn't make it true.

As for understanding the game, you are not the common ground here, showing an interest/knowledge in both codes, however, most football fans are completely baffled by the rules of rugby, and this is shown up usually by the "just some blokes rolling around in the mud" quote that I've heard many many times over the years.

Rugby does have it's problems, but nowhere near to the level that football has. To compare the two hoping to gain some parity of acceptance is really more hopeful than informed. The discretions of footballers and supporters alike would overshadow the dark deeds of rugby beyond all comprehension. After all, no one has been killed at a Welsh rugby International by a flare have they? and that's only scratching the surface.
Apologies for the Chavball etc comments, but it does come across like that via the media. Anyway, the front row, and pack play in general are some of the most complicated, and esoteric aspects of the game, I personally can't give forwards enough credit for what they have to learn and do on the pitch, and as much as I hate to admit it, I played most of my rugby in the backs. I played football in school and found it the easiest sport I've ever played, really, not much to get my head around, and with a bit of pace and handling, I found anyone could look the part, played in the front row for a couple of years and found it a lot more complex. So football wasn't in serious trouble before the Sky money came into it then? mired in debt, terraces taken over by hooligans, families driven away by the violence. As for your comment "The joke in school was always that the lads who weren't skilful enough to play football played rugby" I've heard this sort of thing from footballers all the time, just because you say it, it doesn't make it true. As for understanding the game, you are not the common ground here, showing an interest/knowledge in both codes, however, most football fans are completely baffled by the rules of rugby, and this is shown up usually by the "just some blokes rolling around in the mud" quote that I've heard many many times over the years. Rugby does have it's problems, but nowhere near to the level that football has. To compare the two hoping to gain some parity of acceptance is really more hopeful than informed. The discretions of footballers and supporters alike would overshadow the dark deeds of rugby beyond all comprehension. After all, no one has been killed at a Welsh rugby International by a flare have they? and that's only scratching the surface. SizzlerTrainers
  • Score: 0

2:39pm Tue 4 Sep 12

Nptsportsfan says...

Yep I accept your comments about the violence and if you check my previous exchanges will find i've never ducked away from that.

There are sterotypical comments about rugb,y but the same goes from rugby fans about football-its a poofs game etc which is rather ironic.

Football was in trouble before the sky money but my point was that even before that its always attracted a bigger audience than rugby and I don't see rugby turning its nose up at it now.

As for hoping to gain parity i'm not, because the advert on the radio was indepenedent and specific to rugby, i've raised this in several posts and not one rugby follower has replied saying bloody hell thats a problem and needs sorting.

You found football easy I found rugby easy, I also found it baffling why lads who you wouldn't turn to for help if you had a bit of bother suddenly became "hard" men on the pitch and took pride in kicking someone on the floor and then brag about it and be congratulated by their teamates.

I like rugby as a sport but I hate the narrow minded attitude some of its followers have towards football.

I can look at a game of rugby and for example think in the recent tour of Australia why did we kick it with 2 minutes to go when all we needed to do was retain possession to win the second test which would've acted as a springboard to win the third.
Yep I accept your comments about the violence and if you check my previous exchanges will find i've never ducked away from that. There are sterotypical comments about rugb,y but the same goes from rugby fans about football-its a poofs game etc which is rather ironic. Football was in trouble before the sky money but my point was that even before that its always attracted a bigger audience than rugby and I don't see rugby turning its nose up at it now. As for hoping to gain parity i'm not, because the advert on the radio was indepenedent and specific to rugby, i've raised this in several posts and not one rugby follower has replied saying bloody hell thats a problem and needs sorting. You found football easy I found rugby easy, I also found it baffling why lads who you wouldn't turn to for help if you had a bit of bother suddenly became "hard" men on the pitch and took pride in kicking someone on the floor and then brag about it and be congratulated by their teamates. I like rugby as a sport but I hate the narrow minded attitude some of its followers have towards football. I can look at a game of rugby and for example think in the recent tour of Australia why did we kick it with 2 minutes to go when all we needed to do was retain possession to win the second test which would've acted as a springboard to win the third. Nptsportsfan
  • Score: 0

2:58pm Tue 4 Sep 12

rhinestine says...

RUGBY IS KING IN WALES!!!!! END OF!!LOL!!!!
RUGBY IS KING IN WALES!!!!! END OF!!LOL!!!! rhinestine
  • Score: 0

4:19pm Tue 4 Sep 12

Nptsportsfan says...

Lol I wondered where you'd been Rhinestine.

ps its fair to say I disagree with your last post.
Lol I wondered where you'd been Rhinestine. ps its fair to say I disagree with your last post. Nptsportsfan
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree