Terrible attitude

AS a 19-year-old I can understand why the younger generations are generally tarred with the brush of having an attitude and so on.

However, I could not believe my ears when I was sitting on a Newport bus surrounded by peers who were shouting at a young Asian couple to “speak our language or get out of our country”.

Firstly, this couple were causing no harm to anyone. They were just speaking quietly to each other which they have the right to do in peace and not be harassed.

Secondly, you cannot proclaim, in English, that others speak the ‘correct’ language when you are in Wales.

Ignorance, though, sadly doesn’t die with youth. This is a pattern seen across all ages.

This instance shamed me so much I wish I had spoken up at the time. If everyone could just respect each other and let each other be, to at least have a conversation in peace, then maybe this city and the world over would be a nicer place.

Carmen Goodyear, Camelot Place, Newport

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:37pm Thu 2 Jan 14

Vox Dei says...

You cannot proclaim, in English, that others speak the ‘correct’ language anywhere. A language is a tool for communication, no more, no less.
You cannot proclaim, in English, that others speak the ‘correct’ language anywhere. A language is a tool for communication, no more, no less. Vox Dei

2:55pm Thu 2 Jan 14

Katie Re-Registered says...

That's very scary, Carmen. Unfortunately, there seems to have been a rise in far-right neo-Nazi activity - including racism such as this, anti-Semitism - even to the extent of holocaust denial and revisionism, homophobia etc. - it's almost as if people are being scapegoated for all the frustrations that the recession is causing.

Certain politicians who think laying into minority groups in order to get votes certainly don't help! However, I lay a great deal of responsibility for such attitudes on the lies peddled by a racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, transphobic and misogynistic tabloid media - who consistently sensationalise and even misreport on issues such as immigration, making already struggling and marginalised minority groups into a target for bigoted thugs. Far from being the 'defenders of liberty' that they like to style themselves as, the much of the mainstream print media are poisoning relations between ordinary people by turning us against each other. The British print media is - with a few exceptions - an utter disgrace and perpetually insults the intelligence of its readership by assuming that the great British working class are a bunch of knuckle dragging, unintelligent thugs.

What's the betting that the people breaking the law by committing the hate crime against this harmless couple on the bus have been influenced - at least in part - by the latest anti-immigrant, scare story campaigns in the press? Newspaper editors be aware: the irresponsible lies that you print in your publications have a very damaging effect on people in the real world. We should be going forwards instead of backwards and the irrational persecution of minority groups during times of economic recession will be as useless at solving that recession as it was back in the 1930s.
That's very scary, Carmen. Unfortunately, there seems to have been a rise in far-right neo-Nazi activity - including racism such as this, anti-Semitism - even to the extent of holocaust denial and revisionism, homophobia etc. - it's almost as if people are being scapegoated for all the frustrations that the recession is causing. Certain politicians who think laying into minority groups in order to get votes certainly don't help! However, I lay a great deal of responsibility for such attitudes on the lies peddled by a racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, transphobic and misogynistic tabloid media - who consistently sensationalise and even misreport on issues such as immigration, making already struggling and marginalised minority groups into a target for bigoted thugs. Far from being the 'defenders of liberty' that they like to style themselves as, the much of the mainstream print media are poisoning relations between ordinary people by turning us against each other. The British print media is - with a few exceptions - an utter disgrace and perpetually insults the intelligence of its readership by assuming that the great British working class are a bunch of knuckle dragging, unintelligent thugs. What's the betting that the people breaking the law by committing the hate crime against this harmless couple on the bus have been influenced - at least in part - by the latest anti-immigrant, scare story campaigns in the press? Newspaper editors be aware: the irresponsible lies that you print in your publications have a very damaging effect on people in the real world. We should be going forwards instead of backwards and the irrational persecution of minority groups during times of economic recession will be as useless at solving that recession as it was back in the 1930s. Katie Re-Registered

4:15pm Thu 2 Jan 14

Banjalucka says...

Katie RR =-Some good points and that comment by the chucklehead to the Asians is a disgrace.The general immigration problem is different though. Strict controls are needed now more than ever.
Katie RR =-Some good points and that comment by the chucklehead to the Asians is a disgrace.The general immigration problem is different though. Strict controls are needed now more than ever. Banjalucka

7:10pm Thu 2 Jan 14

welshmen says...

Banjalucka wrote:
Katie RR =-Some good points and that comment by the chucklehead to the Asians is a disgrace.The general immigration problem is different though. Strict controls are needed now more than ever.
Why do you want stricter controls for immigrants, stopping their human right to come to our Country for a better life, on another point, how do you know that the Asian couple were not taking the mic out of the people on the bus before the letter writer got on the bus.

Katie Re-Registered: you say "there seems to have been a rise in far-right neo-Nazi activity - including racism such as this, anti-Semitism - even to the extent of holocaust denial and revisionism, homophobia etc." and a racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, transphobic and misogynistic tabloid media - who consistently sensationalise and even misreport on issues such as immigration, making already struggling and marginalised minority groups into a target for bigoted thugs" wow...

Katie Re-Registered:
you really need to see a counsellor, Banjaluka your "Some good points" remark, you need to go with Katie, the instant hate you pair have is not nice and really sad....
[quote][p][bold]Banjalucka[/bold] wrote: Katie RR =-Some good points and that comment by the chucklehead to the Asians is a disgrace.The general immigration problem is different though. Strict controls are needed now more than ever.[/p][/quote]Why do you want stricter controls for immigrants, stopping their human right to come to our Country for a better life, on another point, how do you know that the Asian couple were not taking the mic out of the people on the bus before the letter writer got on the bus. Katie Re-Registered: you say "there seems to have been a rise in far-right neo-Nazi activity - including racism such as this, anti-Semitism - even to the extent of holocaust denial and revisionism, homophobia etc." and a racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, transphobic and misogynistic tabloid media - who consistently sensationalise and even misreport on issues such as immigration, making already struggling and marginalised minority groups into a target for bigoted thugs" wow... Katie Re-Registered: you really need to see a counsellor, Banjaluka your "Some good points" remark, you need to go with Katie, the instant hate you pair have is not nice and really sad.... welshmen

8:49pm Thu 2 Jan 14

Banjalucka says...

Welshman - I suggest the same applies to you bro!The letter seemed genuine to me and i judge accordingly.
Your choice of words are sad. I have no hatred so how do you infer that? Give me one instance of that in my comment above?
Also you seem rather confused thati have any views in common with Kate RR.
In fact, i am not sure where you stand on these issues. Human Rights? Start a new life.? get real please.You sound like one of the do-gooders with no common sense.
Welshman - I suggest the same applies to you bro!The letter seemed genuine to me and i judge accordingly. Your choice of words are sad. I have no hatred so how do you infer that? Give me one instance of that in my comment above? Also you seem rather confused thati have any views in common with Kate RR. In fact, i am not sure where you stand on these issues. Human Rights? Start a new life.? get real please.You sound like one of the do-gooders with no common sense. Banjalucka

12:19am Fri 3 Jan 14

goodyear says...

Vox Dei wrote:
You cannot proclaim, in English, that others speak the ‘correct’ language anywhere. A language is a tool for communication, no more, no less.
Precisely the point I was trying to make, should've proof read before I sent the letter. Spot on though Vox!!
Carmen
[quote][p][bold]Vox Dei[/bold] wrote: You cannot proclaim, in English, that others speak the ‘correct’ language anywhere. A language is a tool for communication, no more, no less.[/p][/quote]Precisely the point I was trying to make, should've proof read before I sent the letter. Spot on though Vox!! Carmen goodyear

11:23am Fri 3 Jan 14

welshmen says...

Banjalucka wrote:
Welshman - I suggest the same applies to you bro!The letter seemed genuine to me and i judge accordingly.
Your choice of words are sad. I have no hatred so how do you infer that? Give me one instance of that in my comment above?
Also you seem rather confused thati have any views in common with Kate RR.
In fact, i am not sure where you stand on these issues. Human Rights? Start a new life.? get real please.You sound like one of the do-gooders with no common sense.
Welshmen, not Welshman, you wanted to believe the letter writer nothing to do with genuine, also join Katie in condemning anyone with not your view, I am not a do gooder as you assume, I do believe in human rights, I all so believe in British first, not stand in the queue and wait for the rest of the world to enjoy free NHS free housing and then pay my taxes for the pleasure of the benefit scroungers coming from the EU.

I posted you a web site to visit about Islam, or to the fact their Qur'an and what it wants their followers to do to non believers, you seem to spout your agreement with that faith, (Peace and Love) another letter writer you thought genuine, you then" judged me accordingly", and you say I have no common sense, you need to get a life, wake up, drag your self out of the liberal left and away from helping those British haters from destroying our Country....
[quote][p][bold]Banjalucka[/bold] wrote: Welshman - I suggest the same applies to you bro!The letter seemed genuine to me and i judge accordingly. Your choice of words are sad. I have no hatred so how do you infer that? Give me one instance of that in my comment above? Also you seem rather confused thati have any views in common with Kate RR. In fact, i am not sure where you stand on these issues. Human Rights? Start a new life.? get real please.You sound like one of the do-gooders with no common sense.[/p][/quote]Welshmen, not Welshman, you wanted to believe the letter writer nothing to do with genuine, also join Katie in condemning anyone with not your view, I am not a do gooder as you assume, I do believe in human rights, I all so believe in British first, not stand in the queue and wait for the rest of the world to enjoy free NHS free housing and then pay my taxes for the pleasure of the benefit scroungers coming from the EU. I posted you a web site to visit about Islam, or to the fact their Qur'an and what it wants their followers to do to non believers, you seem to spout your agreement with that faith, (Peace and Love) another letter writer you thought genuine, you then" judged me accordingly", and you say I have no common sense, you need to get a life, wake up, drag your self out of the liberal left and away from helping those British haters from destroying our Country.... welshmen

1:28pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Banjalucka says...

Wlshman - You have assumed too much. The letter was about one instance of bad manners. Like others a am very concerned that immigration needs more control and limiting. I am not a liberal leftie and probably know more about Islam than you. I have not once mentioned muslim in any of my comments. \\As for Human rights......
Wlshman - You have assumed too much. The letter was about one instance of bad manners. Like others a am very concerned that immigration needs more control and limiting. I am not a liberal leftie and probably know more about Islam than you. I have not once mentioned muslim in any of my comments. \\As for Human rights...... Banjalucka

5:50pm Fri 3 Jan 14

welshmen says...

Banjalucka wrote:
Wlshman - You have assumed too much. The letter was about one instance of bad manners. Like others a am very concerned that immigration needs more control and limiting. I am not a liberal leftie and probably know more about Islam than you. I have not once mentioned muslim in any of my comments. \\As for Human rights......
You seem to know nothing about anything....
[quote][p][bold]Banjalucka[/bold] wrote: Wlshman - You have assumed too much. The letter was about one instance of bad manners. Like others a am very concerned that immigration needs more control and limiting. I am not a liberal leftie and probably know more about Islam than you. I have not once mentioned muslim in any of my comments. \\As for Human rights......[/p][/quote]You seem to know nothing about anything.... welshmen

6:09pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Banjalucka says...

Welshman - dear dear. Another big assumption and rude. I think you must be the one on the bus making the bad mannered, racist remarks. Big words for a little man lol.
Welshman - dear dear. Another big assumption and rude. I think you must be the one on the bus making the bad mannered, racist remarks. Big words for a little man lol. Banjalucka

6:23pm Fri 3 Jan 14

welshmen says...

Banjalucka wrote:
Welshman - dear dear. Another big assumption and rude. I think you must be the one on the bus making the bad mannered, racist remarks. Big words for a little man lol.
Another two guess's, wrong but that's you style, stick to what you do best, can't comment on your own and troll anyone with a valid point although not yours, and then make up a bit of fiction about racism, your only as big as your comment, so we'll have to wait....
[quote][p][bold]Banjalucka[/bold] wrote: Welshman - dear dear. Another big assumption and rude. I think you must be the one on the bus making the bad mannered, racist remarks. Big words for a little man lol.[/p][/quote]Another two guess's, wrong but that's you style, stick to what you do best, can't comment on your own and troll anyone with a valid point although not yours, and then make up a bit of fiction about racism, your only as big as your comment, so we'll have to wait.... welshmen

7:32pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Banjalucka says...

Welshman - Ha ha. I made a short, harmless, factual comment on this letter. It was you who started trolling if you look back. Can certainly comment on my own and i appreciate other opinions, But i don't have to agree with them, like anyone else. I never write fiction bro. Quite frankly, I can't be bothered with this nonsense. Try to curtail your anger and rudeness please. No more on this.
Welshman - Ha ha. I made a short, harmless, factual comment on this letter. It was you who started trolling if you look back. Can certainly comment on my own and i appreciate other opinions, But i don't have to agree with them, like anyone else. I never write fiction bro. Quite frankly, I can't be bothered with this nonsense. Try to curtail your anger and rudeness please. No more on this. Banjalucka

7:40pm Fri 3 Jan 14

welshmen says...

Banjalucka wrote:
Welshman - Ha ha. I made a short, harmless, factual comment on this letter. It was you who started trolling if you look back. Can certainly comment on my own and i appreciate other opinions, But i don't have to agree with them, like anyone else. I never write fiction bro. Quite frankly, I can't be bothered with this nonsense. Try to curtail your anger and rudeness please. No more on this.
You stared with the rudeness and bad manners dude not me, think before you engage the brain cell, those little quips you use like crap & rubbish do you justice, about sums your contribution on this site....
[quote][p][bold]Banjalucka[/bold] wrote: Welshman - Ha ha. I made a short, harmless, factual comment on this letter. It was you who started trolling if you look back. Can certainly comment on my own and i appreciate other opinions, But i don't have to agree with them, like anyone else. I never write fiction bro. Quite frankly, I can't be bothered with this nonsense. Try to curtail your anger and rudeness please. No more on this.[/p][/quote]You stared with the rudeness and bad manners dude not me, think before you engage the brain cell, those little quips you use like crap & rubbish do you justice, about sums your contribution on this site.... welshmen

7:52pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Banjalucka says...

Welshman - I really think you should look back over your comments to see who started. You started by criticising me and Kate RR - with the addition that I ' should see a counsellor'. Is that not rude? And nowhere above will you find me saying 'crap' or 'rubbish. Go away and pick on someone else please.
Welshman - I really think you should look back over your comments to see who started. You started by criticising me and Kate RR - with the addition that I ' should see a counsellor'. Is that not rude? And nowhere above will you find me saying 'crap' or 'rubbish. Go away and pick on someone else please. Banjalucka

12:08pm Sat 4 Jan 14

welshmen says...

welshmen wrote:
Banjalucka wrote:
Welshman - I suggest the same applies to you bro!The letter seemed genuine to me and i judge accordingly.
Your choice of words are sad. I have no hatred so how do you infer that? Give me one instance of that in my comment above?
Also you seem rather confused thati have any views in common with Kate RR.
In fact, i am not sure where you stand on these issues. Human Rights? Start a new life.? get real please.You sound like one of the do-gooders with no common sense.
Welshmen, not Welshman, you wanted to believe the letter writer nothing to do with genuine, also join Katie in condemning anyone with not your view, I am not a do gooder as you assume, I do believe in human rights, I all so believe in British first, not stand in the queue and wait for the rest of the world to enjoy free NHS free housing and then pay my taxes for the pleasure of the benefit scroungers coming from the EU.

I posted you a web site to visit about Islam, or to the fact their Qur'an and what it wants their followers to do to non believers, you seem to spout your agreement with that faith, (Peace and Love) another letter writer you thought genuine, you then" judged me accordingly", and you say I have no common sense, you need to get a life, wake up, drag your self out of the liberal left and away from helping those British haters from destroying our Country....
Yes, i have looked over my posts, and I must apologise to you, i have stupidly mixed you up with another poster, the post below was not for you

"I posted you a web site to visit about Islam, or to the fact their Qur'an and what it wants their followers to do to non believers, you seem to spout your agreement with that faith, (Peace and Love) another letter writer you thought genuine, you then" judged me accordingly", and you say I have no common sense, you need to get a life, wake up, drag your self out of the liberal left and away from helping those British haters from destroying our Country...."
[quote][p][bold]welshmen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Banjalucka[/bold] wrote: Welshman - I suggest the same applies to you bro!The letter seemed genuine to me and i judge accordingly. Your choice of words are sad. I have no hatred so how do you infer that? Give me one instance of that in my comment above? Also you seem rather confused thati have any views in common with Kate RR. In fact, i am not sure where you stand on these issues. Human Rights? Start a new life.? get real please.You sound like one of the do-gooders with no common sense.[/p][/quote]Welshmen, not Welshman, you wanted to believe the letter writer nothing to do with genuine, also join Katie in condemning anyone with not your view, I am not a do gooder as you assume, I do believe in human rights, I all so believe in British first, not stand in the queue and wait for the rest of the world to enjoy free NHS free housing and then pay my taxes for the pleasure of the benefit scroungers coming from the EU. I posted you a web site to visit about Islam, or to the fact their Qur'an and what it wants their followers to do to non believers, you seem to spout your agreement with that faith, (Peace and Love) another letter writer you thought genuine, you then" judged me accordingly", and you say I have no common sense, you need to get a life, wake up, drag your self out of the liberal left and away from helping those British haters from destroying our Country....[/p][/quote]Yes, i have looked over my posts, and I must apologise to you, i have stupidly mixed you up with another poster, the post below was not for you "I posted you a web site to visit about Islam, or to the fact their Qur'an and what it wants their followers to do to non believers, you seem to spout your agreement with that faith, (Peace and Love) another letter writer you thought genuine, you then" judged me accordingly", and you say I have no common sense, you need to get a life, wake up, drag your self out of the liberal left and away from helping those British haters from destroying our Country...." welshmen

12:09pm Sat 4 Jan 14

welshmen says...

welshmen wrote:
Banjalucka wrote:
Katie RR =-Some good points and that comment by the chucklehead to the Asians is a disgrace.The general immigration problem is different though. Strict controls are needed now more than ever.
Why do you want stricter controls for immigrants, stopping their human right to come to our Country for a better life, on another point, how do you know that the Asian couple were not taking the mic out of the people on the bus before the letter writer got on the bus.

Katie Re-Registered: you say "there seems to have been a rise in far-right neo-Nazi activity - including racism such as this, anti-Semitism - even to the extent of holocaust denial and revisionism, homophobia etc." and a racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, transphobic and misogynistic tabloid media - who consistently sensationalise and even misreport on issues such as immigration, making already struggling and marginalised minority groups into a target for bigoted thugs" wow...

Katie Re-Registered:
you really need to see a counsellor, Banjaluka your "Some good points" remark, you need to go with Katie, the instant hate you pair have is not nice and really sad....
But this still stands dude....
[quote][p][bold]welshmen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Banjalucka[/bold] wrote: Katie RR =-Some good points and that comment by the chucklehead to the Asians is a disgrace.The general immigration problem is different though. Strict controls are needed now more than ever.[/p][/quote]Why do you want stricter controls for immigrants, stopping their human right to come to our Country for a better life, on another point, how do you know that the Asian couple were not taking the mic out of the people on the bus before the letter writer got on the bus. Katie Re-Registered: you say "there seems to have been a rise in far-right neo-Nazi activity - including racism such as this, anti-Semitism - even to the extent of holocaust denial and revisionism, homophobia etc." and a racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, transphobic and misogynistic tabloid media - who consistently sensationalise and even misreport on issues such as immigration, making already struggling and marginalised minority groups into a target for bigoted thugs" wow... Katie Re-Registered: you really need to see a counsellor, Banjaluka your "Some good points" remark, you need to go with Katie, the instant hate you pair have is not nice and really sad....[/p][/quote]But this still stands dude.... welshmen

2:57pm Sat 4 Jan 14

Banjalucka says...

WElshman - Apology accepted, DUDE.
WElshman - Apology accepted, DUDE. Banjalucka

9:25pm Sat 4 Jan 14

welshmen says...

Banjalucka wrote:
WElshman - Apology accepted, DUDE.
Cheers BRO....
[quote][p][bold]Banjalucka[/bold] wrote: WElshman - Apology accepted, DUDE.[/p][/quote]Cheers BRO.... welshmen

3:10pm Tue 7 Jan 14

Practicalmickey says...

Attitude of young people! This complaints comes from the old miserable, self centred, cantankerous people that expect everything but have no manners.
Young people will talk to you, I often find the elderly ignorant.
I my self am middle aged and in neither categories. But the youth of today are being treated terribly by the demanding but refusing to return anything elderly generation.
Attitude of young people! This complaints comes from the old miserable, self centred, cantankerous people that expect everything but have no manners. Young people will talk to you, I often find the elderly ignorant. I my self am middle aged and in neither categories. But the youth of today are being treated terribly by the demanding but refusing to return anything elderly generation. Practicalmickey

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree