God's sacrifice

ONE OF your more regular contributors finds it difficult to grasp how Christ’s vicarious sacrifice was necessary to atone for the sin of mankind (Letters, January 27).

Perhaps I can help.

It’s natural for us to want to settle our own debts to maintain our dignity. But because of our inherent sin nature, neither all our good works nor our religion can purchase our redemption from a holy and just God.

This is why, God in his mercy, paid the penalty for us in Christ. What we couldn’t do, He did. ‘This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.’ (1 John, 4, 10) Awesome!

R. H. Aston Woodland Place Blackwood

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:46pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Walter Devereux says...

This is the 21st century: The age of enlightenment. Yet this letter proves that Mankind is doomed.
This is the 21st century: The age of enlightenment. Yet this letter proves that Mankind is doomed. Walter Devereux
  • Score: 5

2:20pm Wed 5 Feb 14

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

Complete gobbledegook.

Besides, I thought all you had to do to absolve your sins was repent and ask forgiveness? Why is it then that some allegedly omnipotent being can't swing a bit of leeway without murdering someone?
Complete gobbledegook. Besides, I thought all you had to do to absolve your sins was repent and ask forgiveness? Why is it then that some allegedly omnipotent being can't swing a bit of leeway without murdering someone? GardenVarietyMushroom
  • Score: 2

7:21pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Roger Elliot says...

Because the gobbledejook is based on old fertility myths which required the sun to die and be reborn with the seasons. Why the rabbit at Easter innit.
Because the gobbledejook is based on old fertility myths which required the sun to die and be reborn with the seasons. Why the rabbit at Easter innit. Roger Elliot
  • Score: 1

8:37pm Wed 5 Feb 14

varteg1 says...

" Our inherent sin nature?" ..... what the heck is that supposed to mean?

Next you'll be telling us there is a 'sin' gene..

Why don't you people just do us all a very great favour and simply fade away, please start by ceasing to send in such garbage , there is NO truth in anything of the kind you spout,..... you waste our cyberspace.
" Our inherent sin nature?" ..... what the heck is that supposed to mean? Next you'll be telling us there is a 'sin' gene.. Why don't you people just do us all a very great favour and simply fade away, please start by ceasing to send in such garbage , there is NO truth in anything of the kind you spout,..... you waste our cyberspace. varteg1
  • Score: 1

11:01am Thu 6 Feb 14

coalpicker says...

I am so glad I am not the only atheist reading the Argus, the editor usually
removes my posts on the subject, come to think about it removes most of my posts anyway I must be turning over a few stones.
I am so glad I am not the only atheist reading the Argus, the editor usually removes my posts on the subject, come to think about it removes most of my posts anyway I must be turning over a few stones. coalpicker
  • Score: -1

1:30pm Thu 6 Feb 14

robrat41 says...

varteg1 wrote:
" Our inherent sin nature?" ..... what the heck is that supposed to mean?

Next you'll be telling us there is a 'sin' gene..

Why don't you people just do us all a very great favour and simply fade away, please start by ceasing to send in such garbage , there is NO truth in anything of the kind you spout,..... you waste our cyberspace.
This is where it gets really barmy. God created us with inherent sin as he gave mankind 2 commandments originally. "Eat not of the fruit of the tree of knowledge" and "be fruitful and multiply".

One of these commandments man (Adam) had to break, therefore he was set up to fall by his loving god.

As you say utter nonsense.
[quote][p][bold]varteg1[/bold] wrote: " Our inherent sin nature?" ..... what the heck is that supposed to mean? Next you'll be telling us there is a 'sin' gene.. Why don't you people just do us all a very great favour and simply fade away, please start by ceasing to send in such garbage , there is NO truth in anything of the kind you spout,..... you waste our cyberspace.[/p][/quote]This is where it gets really barmy. God created us with inherent sin as he gave mankind 2 commandments originally. "Eat not of the fruit of the tree of knowledge" and "be fruitful and multiply". One of these commandments man (Adam) had to break, therefore he was set up to fall by his loving god. As you say utter nonsense. robrat41
  • Score: -1

1:31pm Thu 6 Feb 14

throwy1 says...

varteg1 wrote:
" Our inherent sin nature?" ..... what the heck is that supposed to mean?

Next you'll be telling us there is a 'sin' gene..

Why don't you people just do us all a very great favour and simply fade away, please start by ceasing to send in such garbage , there is NO truth in anything of the kind you spout,..... you waste our cyberspace.
Whops thye great god JM speaketh, rubbish as usual
[quote][p][bold]varteg1[/bold] wrote: " Our inherent sin nature?" ..... what the heck is that supposed to mean? Next you'll be telling us there is a 'sin' gene.. Why don't you people just do us all a very great favour and simply fade away, please start by ceasing to send in such garbage , there is NO truth in anything of the kind you spout,..... you waste our cyberspace.[/p][/quote]Whops thye great god JM speaketh, rubbish as usual throwy1
  • Score: -1

5:03pm Thu 6 Feb 14

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

Poor Christians - they don't half take some stick.
Poor Christians - they don't half take some stick. GardenVarietyMushroom
  • Score: 0

8:26pm Thu 6 Feb 14

tking says...

Its just the sheer arrogance of people like R H Aston, how does he know this? was he there? of course not, so it is a faith and he should not be preaching, most people are Agnostic anyway and dont like it in their face like this...
Its just the sheer arrogance of people like R H Aston, how does he know this? was he there? of course not, so it is a faith and he should not be preaching, most people are Agnostic anyway and dont like it in their face like this... tking
  • Score: -1

2:29pm Fri 7 Feb 14

ollie72 says...

As a non-believer, I was tempted to have a go at this correspondent (as the comments above).

But sometimes I have to admit to being a little envious of the religious types - how freeing must it be to be able to say "it doesn't matter what I do, there's a big bad being in the sky that has a plan for me".

Must be very comforting. Unfortunately, to believe it, you have to:

a) be able to believe that an omnipotent beinig would be the slightest bit interested in you, and
b) accept the fact that there is no point you having a conscious mind - to be a "good religious follower" you may as well be a worker bee...
As a non-believer, I was tempted to have a go at this correspondent (as the comments above). But sometimes I have to admit to being a little envious of the religious types - how freeing must it be to be able to say "it doesn't matter what I do, there's a big bad being in the sky that has a plan for me". Must be very comforting. Unfortunately, to believe it, you have to: a) be able to believe that an omnipotent beinig would be the slightest bit interested in you, and b) accept the fact that there is no point you having a conscious mind - to be a "good religious follower" you may as well be a worker bee... ollie72
  • Score: 3

8:00pm Sat 8 Feb 14

welshmen says...

GardenVarietyMushroo
m
wrote:
Poor Christians - they don't half take some stick.
The Muslims do to, there are 50 million Muslims in Europe, and 80% are on welfare, as we all know they want to rule the world, so WHO's going to work or earn their welfare money?....THE NON BELIEVERS....
[quote][p][bold]GardenVarietyMushroo m[/bold] wrote: Poor Christians - they don't half take some stick.[/p][/quote]The Muslims do to, there are 50 million Muslims in Europe, and 80% are on welfare, as we all know they want to rule the world, so WHO's going to work or earn their welfare money?....THE NON BELIEVERS.... welshmen
  • Score: -3

9:52pm Sun 9 Feb 14

ollie72 says...

welshmen wrote:
GardenVarietyMushroo

m
wrote:
Poor Christians - they don't half take some stick.
The Muslims do to, there are 50 million Muslims in Europe, and 80% are on welfare, as we all know they want to rule the world, so WHO's going to work or earn their welfare money?....THE NON BELIEVERS....
80% of Muslims in Europe are on welfare? Seriously?

You can not make this kind of claim without offering some kind of evidence...
[quote][p][bold]welshmen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GardenVarietyMushroo m[/bold] wrote: Poor Christians - they don't half take some stick.[/p][/quote]The Muslims do to, there are 50 million Muslims in Europe, and 80% are on welfare, as we all know they want to rule the world, so WHO's going to work or earn their welfare money?....THE NON BELIEVERS....[/p][/quote]80% of Muslims in Europe are on welfare? Seriously? You can not make this kind of claim without offering some kind of evidence... ollie72
  • Score: 2

10:06am Mon 10 Feb 14

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

ollie72 wrote:
welshmen wrote:
GardenVarietyMushroo


m
wrote:
Poor Christians - they don't half take some stick.
The Muslims do to, there are 50 million Muslims in Europe, and 80% are on welfare, as we all know they want to rule the world, so WHO's going to work or earn their welfare money?....THE NON BELIEVERS....
80% of Muslims in Europe are on welfare? Seriously?

You can not make this kind of claim without offering some kind of evidence...
Indeed - I did a google search on this and found... surprise surprise - absolutely no credible sources of this story.
[quote][p][bold]ollie72[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]welshmen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GardenVarietyMushroo m[/bold] wrote: Poor Christians - they don't half take some stick.[/p][/quote]The Muslims do to, there are 50 million Muslims in Europe, and 80% are on welfare, as we all know they want to rule the world, so WHO's going to work or earn their welfare money?....THE NON BELIEVERS....[/p][/quote]80% of Muslims in Europe are on welfare? Seriously? You can not make this kind of claim without offering some kind of evidence...[/p][/quote]Indeed - I did a google search on this and found... surprise surprise - absolutely no credible sources of this story. GardenVarietyMushroom
  • Score: 2

1:19pm Mon 10 Feb 14

coalpicker says...

If with our update knowledge of the world people still believe the political propaganda of religious text,walking on water flying up to a mythical paradise
on a winged horse raising people from the dead,please read if you can find them, the following on the subject ,The History of Jehovah, The Secret Identity
Of Israels Yahweh Revealed.There are many other intellectual researched tomes on the subject. Please climb out of the Neanderthal caves into the light ,the only devils out there are in our own imaginations .
If with our update knowledge of the world people still believe the political propaganda of religious text,walking on water flying up to a mythical paradise on a winged horse raising people from the dead,please read if you can find them, the following on the subject ,The History of Jehovah, The Secret Identity Of Israels Yahweh Revealed.There are many other intellectual researched tomes on the subject. Please climb out of the Neanderthal caves into the light ,the only devils out there are in our own imaginations . coalpicker
  • Score: -1

8:03pm Tue 11 Feb 14

welshmen says...

ollie72 wrote:
welshmen wrote:
GardenVarietyMushroo


m
wrote:
Poor Christians - they don't half take some stick.
The Muslims do to, there are 50 million Muslims in Europe, and 80% are on welfare, as we all know they want to rule the world, so WHO's going to work or earn their welfare money?....THE NON BELIEVERS....
80% of Muslims in Europe are on welfare? Seriously?

You can not make this kind of claim without offering some kind of evidence...
Sorry ollie72, just Google European Muslims on Welfare, you chose to believe like MVmushroom only reports by auditors, waiting for an audit off the European Union is now on year ten, no sign of where our £43 Million a day go's, but still IT'S the EU so it's ok, mention the immigrant Muslims costs and you all start where's the evidence, evidence, open your eyes read your favourite bull-s--t paper and you will read time and time again how wonderful it is to have immigrants of any description coming here for work who can't even speak our ENGLISH language.

You seem to believe like gvMushroom there is no way to go forward, gvmushroom's an anarchist so no plan there just criticise's others NO INPUT but still like's to ridicule anyone's point on the future of our Country, still, more to the point what's your way forward for our Country?
[quote][p][bold]ollie72[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]welshmen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GardenVarietyMushroo m[/bold] wrote: Poor Christians - they don't half take some stick.[/p][/quote]The Muslims do to, there are 50 million Muslims in Europe, and 80% are on welfare, as we all know they want to rule the world, so WHO's going to work or earn their welfare money?....THE NON BELIEVERS....[/p][/quote]80% of Muslims in Europe are on welfare? Seriously? You can not make this kind of claim without offering some kind of evidence...[/p][/quote]Sorry ollie72, just Google European Muslims on Welfare, you chose to believe like MVmushroom only reports by auditors, waiting for an audit off the European Union is now on year ten, no sign of where our £43 Million a day go's, but still IT'S the EU so it's ok, mention the immigrant Muslims costs and you all start where's the evidence, evidence, open your eyes read your favourite bull-s--t paper and you will read time and time again how wonderful it is to have immigrants of any description coming here for work who can't even speak our ENGLISH language. You seem to believe like gvMushroom there is no way to go forward, gvmushroom's an anarchist so no plan there just criticise's others NO INPUT but still like's to ridicule anyone's point on the future of our Country, still, more to the point what's your way forward for our Country? welshmen
  • Score: 0

12:31pm Wed 12 Feb 14

varteg1 says...

throwy1 wrote:
varteg1 wrote:
" Our inherent sin nature?" ..... what the heck is that supposed to mean?

Next you'll be telling us there is a 'sin' gene..

Why don't you people just do us all a very great favour and simply fade away, please start by ceasing to send in such garbage , there is NO truth in anything of the kind you spout,..... you waste our cyberspace.
Whops thye great god JM speaketh, rubbish as usual
It seems the great god JM has a far firmer grip on reality, he dispenses with the fantastic.

The fact is, in any argument , especially when religious concepts are the subject matter, this great god JM, can , will, and invariably does, sweep away idiots who resort to personal insult, such as that feebly contained in the comment from throwy1.
But it is absolutely definite that person cannot put up any sort of constructive counter argument, hence the pathetic attempt at insult.

The great god JM marches ever onward.
[quote][p][bold]throwy1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]varteg1[/bold] wrote: " Our inherent sin nature?" ..... what the heck is that supposed to mean? Next you'll be telling us there is a 'sin' gene.. Why don't you people just do us all a very great favour and simply fade away, please start by ceasing to send in such garbage , there is NO truth in anything of the kind you spout,..... you waste our cyberspace.[/p][/quote]Whops thye great god JM speaketh, rubbish as usual[/p][/quote]It seems the great god JM has a far firmer grip on reality, he dispenses with the fantastic. The fact is, in any argument , especially when religious concepts are the subject matter, this great god JM, can , will, and invariably does, sweep away idiots who resort to personal insult, such as that feebly contained in the comment from throwy1. But it is absolutely definite that person cannot put up any sort of constructive counter argument, hence the pathetic attempt at insult. The great god JM marches ever onward. varteg1
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree