Language needs

First published in Letters

I AM writing regarding the recent editorial about new Welsh language standards.

As chair of voluntary organisation Menter Iaith Casnewydd (Newport Language Initiative) working with Newport’s Welsh speaking community, I am delighted to be confirm that Welsh is very much alive in Gwent, and in fact, is growing steadily.

The official figures from the Office of National Statistics show there are nearly 55,000 Welsh speakers in Gwent (9.9% of the population), with 78000 (14%) having Welsh skills of some description. The numbers for Newport specifically are 13,002 Welsh speakers, with 18,308 with Welsh skills.

The issues raised by the proposed language standards are not some bolt from the blue: although the standards are a new thing, the requirements within them are not new at all. Providing services in Welsh is a long-standing and permanent need, dating back over 20 years to the Welsh Language Act 1993, and Newport City Council has been working towards delivering them for years, so why on earth are they still failing in their duty? The Welsh language has an important role in Newport’s past, present and future. Don’t our children deserve the same advantages as those of Cardiff and the rest of Wales?

The very reason it’s an issue now is that the council has persisted in neglecting even to give proper consideration to the language. Steve Blundell Chair Menter Iaith Casnewydd

Comments (49)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:42pm Mon 28 Apr 14

Llanmartinangel says...

Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.
Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 20

2:01pm Mon 28 Apr 14

altom23 says...

Llanmartinangel wrote:
Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.
Just about one thing we can now all depend on in in this life of reading the Argus comments is that of Llanmartinangel negative comments regarding the Welsh language!
[quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.[/p][/quote]Just about one thing we can now all depend on in in this life of reading the Argus comments is that of Llanmartinangel negative comments regarding the Welsh language! altom23
  • Score: -23

2:08pm Mon 28 Apr 14

Bobevans says...

Strange how it is never heard in Gwent and the official figures show usage of Welsh is falling fast
Strange how it is never heard in Gwent and the official figures show usage of Welsh is falling fast Bobevans
  • Score: 25

2:16pm Mon 28 Apr 14

Llanmartinangel says...

altom23 wrote:
Llanmartinangel wrote:
Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.
Just about one thing we can now all depend on in in this life of reading the Argus comments is that of Llanmartinangel negative comments regarding the Welsh language!
I didn't say anything negative, I stated the facts. Care to refute the National Savings one or would you like the link?
[quote][p][bold]altom23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.[/p][/quote]Just about one thing we can now all depend on in in this life of reading the Argus comments is that of Llanmartinangel negative comments regarding the Welsh language![/p][/quote]I didn't say anything negative, I stated the facts. Care to refute the National Savings one or would you like the link? Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 23

4:04pm Mon 28 Apr 14

WiwerGoch says...

Llanmartinangel wrote:
Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.
Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean it's not happening. My husband and I only ever speak Welsh to each other and our daughter. Pretty much every time I go out I will hear Welsh spoken somewhere or spot someone I know who speaks it.
I find your hearing improves once you take your head out of your backside. Try it.
[quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.[/p][/quote]Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean it's not happening. My husband and I only ever speak Welsh to each other and our daughter. Pretty much every time I go out I will hear Welsh spoken somewhere or spot someone I know who speaks it. I find your hearing improves once you take your head out of your backside. Try it. WiwerGoch
  • Score: -21

4:07pm Mon 28 Apr 14

Stevenboy says...

Llanmartinangel wrote:
Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.
Yes, my experience also. Polish everywhere, Welsh nowhere. Yet if you were to suggest that that means 10% of the Newport population were Polish you'd be accused of being a UKIP supporter.
[quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.[/p][/quote]Yes, my experience also. Polish everywhere, Welsh nowhere. Yet if you were to suggest that that means 10% of the Newport population were Polish you'd be accused of being a UKIP supporter. Stevenboy
  • Score: 20

4:52pm Mon 28 Apr 14

Llanmartinangel says...

WiwerGoch wrote:
Llanmartinangel wrote:
Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.
Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean it's not happening. My husband and I only ever speak Welsh to each other and our daughter. Pretty much every time I go out I will hear Welsh spoken somewhere or spot someone I know who speaks it.
I find your hearing improves once you take your head out of your backside. Try it.
I didn't suggest 'it's not happening', I was calling into question the absurd claims for fluency in the letter. There isn't a call centre in Wales dealing with a cross-section of the Welsh public that gets 10% of it's traffic from Welsh speakers, let alone one in Gwent. But then I'm not surprised that someone who 'only ever speaks Welsh' would fail to grasp nuances in English, nor comprehend that sometimes, the Welsh language stats are grossly exaggerated for political reasons.
[quote][p][bold]WiwerGoch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.[/p][/quote]Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean it's not happening. My husband and I only ever speak Welsh to each other and our daughter. Pretty much every time I go out I will hear Welsh spoken somewhere or spot someone I know who speaks it. I find your hearing improves once you take your head out of your backside. Try it.[/p][/quote]I didn't suggest 'it's not happening', I was calling into question the absurd claims for fluency in the letter. There isn't a call centre in Wales dealing with a cross-section of the Welsh public that gets 10% of it's traffic from Welsh speakers, let alone one in Gwent. But then I'm not surprised that someone who 'only ever speaks Welsh' would fail to grasp nuances in English, nor comprehend that sometimes, the Welsh language stats are grossly exaggerated for political reasons. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 22

5:06pm Mon 28 Apr 14

Banjalucka says...

/Here we go again. The Welshies are out in force on this post. Llanmartin is right, the figures are fictional. In no way are there 13,000+ fluent Welsh speakers in Newport. I have never heard anyone speaking it here.
I see the writer is working with thw Newport Welsh Community. Wow. Morw details please - where do they meet and how many go to meetings? Do they walk about the town in a group spouting off in Welsh? I've never seen them.
Regarding Newport Council, they have enough sense to delay as long as possible because they know it is unnecessary and flipping expensive for a few awkward people.
/Here we go again. The Welshies are out in force on this post. Llanmartin is right, the figures are fictional. In no way are there 13,000+ fluent Welsh speakers in Newport. I have never heard anyone speaking it here. I see the writer is working with thw Newport Welsh Community. Wow. Morw details please - where do they meet and how many go to meetings? Do they walk about the town in a group spouting off in Welsh? I've never seen them. Regarding Newport Council, they have enough sense to delay as long as possible because they know it is unnecessary and flipping expensive for a few awkward people. Banjalucka
  • Score: 14

5:35pm Mon 28 Apr 14

Poolerkev says...

If people hate Wales and it's government and language so much why not go and live in England? I'm sure you would be happier.
If people hate Wales and it's government and language so much why not go and live in England? I'm sure you would be happier. Poolerkev
  • Score: -23

5:41pm Mon 28 Apr 14

Banjalucka says...

Polerkev - don't understand your point. No-one on here has said they hate Wales or the language. The cost and forced usage by a few is the problem.
Polerkev - don't understand your point. No-one on here has said they hate Wales or the language. The cost and forced usage by a few is the problem. Banjalucka
  • Score: 17

6:15pm Mon 28 Apr 14

Poolerkev says...

That's all llanmartin and scrap the wag do.... Criticise constantly.
That's all llanmartin and scrap the wag do.... Criticise constantly. Poolerkev
  • Score: -21

6:27pm Mon 28 Apr 14

Llanmartinangel says...

Poolerkev wrote:
If people hate Wales and it's government and language so much why not go and live in England? I'm sure you would be happier.
Or exercise their democratic right to criticise and debate maybe?
[quote][p][bold]Poolerkev[/bold] wrote: If people hate Wales and it's government and language so much why not go and live in England? I'm sure you would be happier.[/p][/quote]Or exercise their democratic right to criticise and debate maybe? Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 19

7:22pm Mon 28 Apr 14

Mervyn James says...

ere we go, ere we go, ere we go again !
ere we go, ere we go, ere we go again ! Mervyn James
  • Score: -19

9:34pm Mon 28 Apr 14

landyman3030 says...

Hello Merv baby. Was missing you and wondered where you'd gotten to after wuss sing out of the last debate. Couldn't justify any of your reasoning over there so you popped over here. Are you still ignoring me I wonder?
Hello Merv baby. Was missing you and wondered where you'd gotten to after wuss sing out of the last debate. Couldn't justify any of your reasoning over there so you popped over here. Are you still ignoring me I wonder? landyman3030
  • Score: 16

10:09pm Mon 28 Apr 14

landyman3030 says...

Does anybody else find it amazing that just because people dare to exercise their democratic right to choose to debate and have an opinion that differs with the minority who DEMAND that we service their needs, the minority refer to type and choose sarcasm and insults to defend the indefensible. You all completely miss the point that whilst you DEMAND everybody use Welsh and use enforced teaching practice to use valuable classroom time learning this language to GCSE, we ask for a choice for our children not to HAVE to learn an insular language. In a previous debate over a tv programme showing that children all over Wales have no wish to speak the language outside of this draconian education system, the pro welsh language lobby could not justify or sufficiently answer any of the items. Anybody care to try know without abuse or am I still being ignored Merv?
Does anybody else find it amazing that just because people dare to exercise their democratic right to choose to debate and have an opinion that differs with the minority who DEMAND that we service their needs, the minority refer to type and choose sarcasm and insults to defend the indefensible. You all completely miss the point that whilst you DEMAND everybody use Welsh and use enforced teaching practice to use valuable classroom time learning this language to GCSE, we ask for a choice for our children not to HAVE to learn an insular language. In a previous debate over a tv programme showing that children all over Wales have no wish to speak the language outside of this draconian education system, the pro welsh language lobby could not justify or sufficiently answer any of the items. Anybody care to try know without abuse or am I still being ignored Merv? landyman3030
  • Score: 15

10:26pm Mon 28 Apr 14

Banjalucka says...

No Landyman with you all the way.
No Landyman with you all the way. Banjalucka
  • Score: 11

8:19am Tue 29 Apr 14

Mervyn James says...

Llanmartinangel wrote:
Poolerkev wrote:
If people hate Wales and it's government and language so much why not go and live in England? I'm sure you would be happier.
Or exercise their democratic right to criticise and debate maybe?
Or why not JUST criticise....
[quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Poolerkev[/bold] wrote: If people hate Wales and it's government and language so much why not go and live in England? I'm sure you would be happier.[/p][/quote]Or exercise their democratic right to criticise and debate maybe?[/p][/quote]Or why not JUST criticise.... Mervyn James
  • Score: -13

8:35am Tue 29 Apr 14

Llanmartinangel says...

Mervyn James wrote:
Llanmartinangel wrote:
Poolerkev wrote:
If people hate Wales and it's government and language so much why not go and live in England? I'm sure you would be happier.
Or exercise their democratic right to criticise and debate maybe?
Or why not JUST criticise....
Well 'just criticism' isn't quite the same as providing contrary evidence which, incidentally, you never do. You could however, surprise us all by revealing your well hidden analytical side and try explaining some of the anomalies pointed out by those of us who are unconvinced that compulsory education in Welsh and vast spending don't work. You could even try any easy one. Like this statement from a die-hard Welshie:

We very much hope the First Minister will respond positively to our recommendations to increase the number of Welsh speakers and Welsh language communities. We will be calling on him to acknowledge the crisis which faces the language and implement the recommendations in our "Maniffesto Byw". There's no point sitting back and accepting the Census results; with positive campaigning and political will, we can change our fate and that of our Welsh language communities
– ROBIN FARRAR, CHAIR OF CYMDEITHAS
[quote][p][bold]Mervyn James[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Poolerkev[/bold] wrote: If people hate Wales and it's government and language so much why not go and live in England? I'm sure you would be happier.[/p][/quote]Or exercise their democratic right to criticise and debate maybe?[/p][/quote]Or why not JUST criticise....[/p][/quote]Well 'just criticism' isn't quite the same as providing contrary evidence which, incidentally, you never do. You could however, surprise us all by revealing your well hidden analytical side and try explaining some of the anomalies pointed out by those of us who are unconvinced that compulsory education in Welsh and vast spending don't work. You could even try any easy one. Like this statement from a die-hard Welshie: We very much hope the First Minister will respond positively to our recommendations to increase the number of Welsh speakers and Welsh language communities. We will be calling on him to acknowledge the crisis which faces the language and implement the recommendations in our "Maniffesto Byw". There's no point sitting back and accepting the Census results; with positive campaigning and political will, we can change our fate and that of our Welsh language communities – ROBIN FARRAR, CHAIR OF CYMDEITHAS Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 10

8:42am Tue 29 Apr 14

landyman3030 says...

Mervyn James wrote:
Llanmartinangel wrote:
Poolerkev wrote:
If people hate Wales and it's government and language so much why not go and live in England? I'm sure you would be happier.
Or exercise their democratic right to criticise and debate maybe?
Or why not JUST criticise....
Morning Merv. Lovely morning. You see it as just criticism because we don't roll over and agree with you straight away. I see it as differing in opinion and wish to debate this with you. That is the democratic right to protest when you feel something is wrong or unjust. So justify Merv, justify... If i go with the above statistics that 14% of the Gwent population have Welsh skills ergo 86% do not. I do not speak Welsh fluently but i can get by. Counting to 3 implies Welsh skills. So i have Welsh skills. I would imagine many more than 14% of Gwent can do this. See how statistics can be massaged to suit. Does this justify the millions of pounds spent in education and the workplace over the last decade i ask? I wish somebody could explain to me the big picture here that will reasonably justify this way of consistently over funding and blindly supporting a type of education scheme which is so obviously failing our children and society. Or you could just sit there and tell me i'm being critical...
[quote][p][bold]Mervyn James[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Poolerkev[/bold] wrote: If people hate Wales and it's government and language so much why not go and live in England? I'm sure you would be happier.[/p][/quote]Or exercise their democratic right to criticise and debate maybe?[/p][/quote]Or why not JUST criticise....[/p][/quote]Morning Merv. Lovely morning. You see it as just criticism because we don't roll over and agree with you straight away. I see it as differing in opinion and wish to debate this with you. That is the democratic right to protest when you feel something is wrong or unjust. So justify Merv, justify... If i go with the above statistics that 14% of the Gwent population have Welsh skills ergo 86% do not. I do not speak Welsh fluently but i can get by. Counting to 3 implies Welsh skills. So i have Welsh skills. I would imagine many more than 14% of Gwent can do this. See how statistics can be massaged to suit. Does this justify the millions of pounds spent in education and the workplace over the last decade i ask? I wish somebody could explain to me the big picture here that will reasonably justify this way of consistently over funding and blindly supporting a type of education scheme which is so obviously failing our children and society. Or you could just sit there and tell me i'm being critical... landyman3030
  • Score: 14

8:47am Tue 29 Apr 14

landyman3030 says...

May i also say i have visited the Menter Iaith Casnewydd website and must say i am amazed and impressed with the general organization. I was completely unaware that this existed in Newport and thank the letters author for making me aware of this group. I fully support anything that furthers peoples interests as long as it does not hurt other groups and is not forced upon you if wish not to participate.
May i also say i have visited the Menter Iaith Casnewydd website and must say i am amazed and impressed with the general organization. I was completely unaware that this existed in Newport and thank the letters author for making me aware of this group. I fully support anything that furthers peoples interests as long as it does not hurt other groups and is not forced upon you if wish not to participate. landyman3030
  • Score: 13

9:34am Tue 29 Apr 14

Banjalucka says...

Ladyman - I did same and was surprised too. Where do they meet as a group/
Ladyman - I did same and was surprised too. Where do they meet as a group/ Banjalucka
  • Score: 9

10:01am Tue 29 Apr 14

varteg1 says...

Landy says....

. Counting to 3 implies Welsh skills. So i have Welsh skills. I would imagine many more than 14% of Gwent can do this.


I too can count in Cymraeg, ......well, up to five.... and I now know quite a few words, mainly from road signs, 'araf' = slow, etc etc.... but like the vast majority, any attempt to converse with any degree of fluency is out of the question.
I suspect this applies to almost all of Wales, not just Gwent, statistics insist that to be the case, after all, the claimed take up is around 10% across the whole region, which will, using average figures, mean in most areas there is almost zero take up whilst in others quite a large take up.

However, as constant news items reveal, even on those areas with a larger take up, the figures are steadily dropping.
Landy says.... . Counting to 3 implies Welsh skills. So i have Welsh skills. I would imagine many more than 14% of Gwent can do this. I too can count in Cymraeg, ......well, up to five.... and I now know quite a few words, mainly from road signs, 'araf' = slow, etc etc.... but like the vast majority, any attempt to converse with any degree of fluency is out of the question. I suspect this applies to almost all of Wales, not just Gwent, statistics insist that to be the case, after all, the claimed take up is around 10% across the whole region, which will, using average figures, mean in most areas there is almost zero take up whilst in others quite a large take up. However, as constant news items reveal, even on those areas with a larger take up, the figures are steadily dropping. varteg1
  • Score: 9

12:51pm Tue 29 Apr 14

throwy1 says...

Yes Welsh is alive and used in South east wales. why have some posters never heard it used/ Quite simply because they don't or can't speak the language those in their circle who can don't do so out of politeness
Yes Welsh is alive and used in South east wales. why have some posters never heard it used/ Quite simply because they don't or can't speak the language those in their circle who can don't do so out of politeness throwy1
  • Score: -11

1:20pm Tue 29 Apr 14

Banjalucka says...

Throwy -Your post is nonsense as usual. You are kidding yoursel that Welsh is used in SE Wales regularly. The posters as such have honestly said they never hear it spoken. Why? Because generally people don't use it!! AgaIn you imply there is a snobbery about those who can speak it.
Throwy -Your post is nonsense as usual. You are kidding yoursel that Welsh is used in SE Wales regularly. The posters as such have honestly said they never hear it spoken. Why? Because generally people don't use it!! AgaIn you imply there is a snobbery about those who can speak it. Banjalucka
  • Score: 9

1:22pm Tue 29 Apr 14

landyman3030 says...

throwy1 wrote:
Yes Welsh is alive and used in South east wales. why have some posters never heard it used/ Quite simply because they don't or can't speak the language those in their circle who can don't do so out of politeness
Funny that. I always thought the reason a welsh speaker didn't speak welsh to an english speaker was the simple fact that it saved them having to repeat themselves after the english speaker said pardon! Would you speak cornish in cornwall and really expect any other response than 'wassat'? It turns out the real reason is because of social graces. Thanks for putting me straight on that one Throwy1. By your own statement then using the official figures 86% of the welsh population will never hear welsh language because they haven't got welsh skills (i have by the way because i can count to 3) and the 14% that are are just too **** polite to mention it. My circle, unike some sad people who have hundreds of friends on well known social media sites, includes everybody that i encounter from eyes open to eyes closed. If i heard welsh anywhere i would say so, but the fact is that i honestly cannot remember hearing spoken welsh outside of my childrens school where the indoctrination takes place. Can i ask a serious question to bilingual people who read this. As it is so important to have a welsh speaking point of contact in the council contact centre and in every department so that you may converse in welsh, do you ask for a welsh speaker at the till in Asda or the person fitting your new tyre in Kwik Fit to be bilingual? it might sound like a facetious question but i assure you i am very interested in the answer.
[quote][p][bold]throwy1[/bold] wrote: Yes Welsh is alive and used in South east wales. why have some posters never heard it used/ Quite simply because they don't or can't speak the language those in their circle who can don't do so out of politeness[/p][/quote]Funny that. I always thought the reason a welsh speaker didn't speak welsh to an english speaker was the simple fact that it saved them having to repeat themselves after the english speaker said pardon! Would you speak cornish in cornwall and really expect any other response than 'wassat'? It turns out the real reason is because of social graces. Thanks for putting me straight on that one Throwy1. By your own statement then using the official figures 86% of the welsh population will never hear welsh language because they haven't got welsh skills (i have by the way because i can count to 3) and the 14% that are are just too **** polite to mention it. My circle, unike some sad people who have hundreds of friends on well known social media sites, includes everybody that i encounter from eyes open to eyes closed. If i heard welsh anywhere i would say so, but the fact is that i honestly cannot remember hearing spoken welsh outside of my childrens school where the indoctrination takes place. Can i ask a serious question to bilingual people who read this. As it is so important to have a welsh speaking point of contact in the council contact centre and in every department so that you may converse in welsh, do you ask for a welsh speaker at the till in Asda or the person fitting your new tyre in Kwik Fit to be bilingual? it might sound like a facetious question but i assure you i am very interested in the answer. landyman3030
  • Score: 9

1:25pm Tue 29 Apr 14

landyman3030 says...

I imagine Mervyn has an opinion but he's ignoring me at the moment. Pity...
I imagine Mervyn has an opinion but he's ignoring me at the moment. Pity... landyman3030
  • Score: 7

1:54pm Tue 29 Apr 14

landyman3030 says...

Banjalucka wrote:
Ladyman - I did same and was surprised too. Where do they meet as a group/
From what i can see there are coffee mornings in the central library and there is an AGM. Can't seem to find the minutes from November 2013 but in 2012 there were 17 people present and 4 apologies for abscence. Oh and a guest speaker from Radio Wales. Doesn't say where headquarters are but the contact details are for Brynglas House ( sorry Ysgol Gymraeg Bro Teyrnon ) where i understand there is a new welsh medium school opened recently. Glad to see that the building has gotten a decent tenant finally. Shame to see historical buildings rotting away. Thats why i'm a member of Welsh Heritage. I think it's important to show my children where we come from as a nation. Gives them some idea of previous struggles against oppressive societies and why you should never just roll over and accept something because the smallest dog has got the loudest yap.
[quote][p][bold]Banjalucka[/bold] wrote: Ladyman - I did same and was surprised too. Where do they meet as a group/[/p][/quote]From what i can see there are coffee mornings in the central library and there is an AGM. Can't seem to find the minutes from November 2013 but in 2012 there were 17 people present and 4 apologies for abscence. Oh and a guest speaker from Radio Wales. Doesn't say where headquarters are but the contact details are for Brynglas House ( sorry Ysgol Gymraeg Bro Teyrnon ) where i understand there is a new welsh medium school opened recently. Glad to see that the building has gotten a decent tenant finally. Shame to see historical buildings rotting away. Thats why i'm a member of Welsh Heritage. I think it's important to show my children where we come from as a nation. Gives them some idea of previous struggles against oppressive societies and why you should never just roll over and accept something because the smallest dog has got the loudest yap. landyman3030
  • Score: 9

2:14pm Tue 29 Apr 14

Banjalucka says...

Thanks Landyman. Like your style.
Thanks Landyman. Like your style. Banjalucka
  • Score: 8

8:52pm Tue 29 Apr 14

blackandamber says...

throwy1 wrote:
Yes Welsh is alive and used in South east wales. why have some posters never heard it used/ Quite simply because they don't or can't speak the language those in their circle who can don't do so out of politeness
It must be a very small circle.
[quote][p][bold]throwy1[/bold] wrote: Yes Welsh is alive and used in South east wales. why have some posters never heard it used/ Quite simply because they don't or can't speak the language those in their circle who can don't do so out of politeness[/p][/quote]It must be a very small circle. blackandamber
  • Score: 6

7:31am Wed 30 Apr 14

Llanmartinangel says...

landyman3030 wrote:
throwy1 wrote:
Yes Welsh is alive and used in South east wales. why have some posters never heard it used/ Quite simply because they don't or can't speak the language those in their circle who can don't do so out of politeness
Funny that. I always thought the reason a welsh speaker didn't speak welsh to an english speaker was the simple fact that it saved them having to repeat themselves after the english speaker said pardon! Would you speak cornish in cornwall and really expect any other response than 'wassat'? It turns out the real reason is because of social graces. Thanks for putting me straight on that one Throwy1. By your own statement then using the official figures 86% of the welsh population will never hear welsh language because they haven't got welsh skills (i have by the way because i can count to 3) and the 14% that are are just too **** polite to mention it. My circle, unike some sad people who have hundreds of friends on well known social media sites, includes everybody that i encounter from eyes open to eyes closed. If i heard welsh anywhere i would say so, but the fact is that i honestly cannot remember hearing spoken welsh outside of my childrens school where the indoctrination takes place. Can i ask a serious question to bilingual people who read this. As it is so important to have a welsh speaking point of contact in the council contact centre and in every department so that you may converse in welsh, do you ask for a welsh speaker at the till in Asda or the person fitting your new tyre in Kwik Fit to be bilingual? it might sound like a facetious question but i assure you i am very interested in the answer.
'Funny that. I always thought the reason a welsh speaker didn't speak welsh to an english speaker was the simple fact that it saved them having to repeat themselves after the english speaker said pardon!'

It's precisely why the letter's author chose to write it in English. Not a lot of Welsh publications to write to is there and not a lot of point to addressing people in Monmouthshire in Welsh.
[quote][p][bold]landyman3030[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]throwy1[/bold] wrote: Yes Welsh is alive and used in South east wales. why have some posters never heard it used/ Quite simply because they don't or can't speak the language those in their circle who can don't do so out of politeness[/p][/quote]Funny that. I always thought the reason a welsh speaker didn't speak welsh to an english speaker was the simple fact that it saved them having to repeat themselves after the english speaker said pardon! Would you speak cornish in cornwall and really expect any other response than 'wassat'? It turns out the real reason is because of social graces. Thanks for putting me straight on that one Throwy1. By your own statement then using the official figures 86% of the welsh population will never hear welsh language because they haven't got welsh skills (i have by the way because i can count to 3) and the 14% that are are just too **** polite to mention it. My circle, unike some sad people who have hundreds of friends on well known social media sites, includes everybody that i encounter from eyes open to eyes closed. If i heard welsh anywhere i would say so, but the fact is that i honestly cannot remember hearing spoken welsh outside of my childrens school where the indoctrination takes place. Can i ask a serious question to bilingual people who read this. As it is so important to have a welsh speaking point of contact in the council contact centre and in every department so that you may converse in welsh, do you ask for a welsh speaker at the till in Asda or the person fitting your new tyre in Kwik Fit to be bilingual? it might sound like a facetious question but i assure you i am very interested in the answer.[/p][/quote]'Funny that. I always thought the reason a welsh speaker didn't speak welsh to an english speaker was the simple fact that it saved them having to repeat themselves after the english speaker said pardon!' It's precisely why the letter's author chose to write it in English. Not a lot of Welsh publications to write to is there and not a lot of point to addressing people in Monmouthshire in Welsh. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 6

8:37am Wed 30 Apr 14

Mervyn James says...

Llanmartinangel wrote:
landyman3030 wrote:
throwy1 wrote:
Yes Welsh is alive and used in South east wales. why have some posters never heard it used/ Quite simply because they don't or can't speak the language those in their circle who can don't do so out of politeness
Funny that. I always thought the reason a welsh speaker didn't speak welsh to an english speaker was the simple fact that it saved them having to repeat themselves after the english speaker said pardon! Would you speak cornish in cornwall and really expect any other response than 'wassat'? It turns out the real reason is because of social graces. Thanks for putting me straight on that one Throwy1. By your own statement then using the official figures 86% of the welsh population will never hear welsh language because they haven't got welsh skills (i have by the way because i can count to 3) and the 14% that are are just too **** polite to mention it. My circle, unike some sad people who have hundreds of friends on well known social media sites, includes everybody that i encounter from eyes open to eyes closed. If i heard welsh anywhere i would say so, but the fact is that i honestly cannot remember hearing spoken welsh outside of my childrens school where the indoctrination takes place. Can i ask a serious question to bilingual people who read this. As it is so important to have a welsh speaking point of contact in the council contact centre and in every department so that you may converse in welsh, do you ask for a welsh speaker at the till in Asda or the person fitting your new tyre in Kwik Fit to be bilingual? it might sound like a facetious question but i assure you i am very interested in the answer.
'Funny that. I always thought the reason a welsh speaker didn't speak welsh to an english speaker was the simple fact that it saved them having to repeat themselves after the english speaker said pardon!'

It's precisely why the letter's author chose to write it in English. Not a lot of Welsh publications to write to is there and not a lot of point to addressing people in Monmouthshire in Welsh.
Not so, one reason we don't write in welsh to the Argus is because of editorial policy mainly, if readers would like responses in welsh.......
[quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]landyman3030[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]throwy1[/bold] wrote: Yes Welsh is alive and used in South east wales. why have some posters never heard it used/ Quite simply because they don't or can't speak the language those in their circle who can don't do so out of politeness[/p][/quote]Funny that. I always thought the reason a welsh speaker didn't speak welsh to an english speaker was the simple fact that it saved them having to repeat themselves after the english speaker said pardon! Would you speak cornish in cornwall and really expect any other response than 'wassat'? It turns out the real reason is because of social graces. Thanks for putting me straight on that one Throwy1. By your own statement then using the official figures 86% of the welsh population will never hear welsh language because they haven't got welsh skills (i have by the way because i can count to 3) and the 14% that are are just too **** polite to mention it. My circle, unike some sad people who have hundreds of friends on well known social media sites, includes everybody that i encounter from eyes open to eyes closed. If i heard welsh anywhere i would say so, but the fact is that i honestly cannot remember hearing spoken welsh outside of my childrens school where the indoctrination takes place. Can i ask a serious question to bilingual people who read this. As it is so important to have a welsh speaking point of contact in the council contact centre and in every department so that you may converse in welsh, do you ask for a welsh speaker at the till in Asda or the person fitting your new tyre in Kwik Fit to be bilingual? it might sound like a facetious question but i assure you i am very interested in the answer.[/p][/quote]'Funny that. I always thought the reason a welsh speaker didn't speak welsh to an english speaker was the simple fact that it saved them having to repeat themselves after the english speaker said pardon!' It's precisely why the letter's author chose to write it in English. Not a lot of Welsh publications to write to is there and not a lot of point to addressing people in Monmouthshire in Welsh.[/p][/quote]Not so, one reason we don't write in welsh to the Argus is because of editorial policy mainly, if readers would like responses in welsh....... Mervyn James
  • Score: -5

8:39am Wed 30 Apr 14

landyman3030 says...

Maybe thats the next step in their world domination plans llanmartinangel. The argus should have a bilingual copy available for all additions every publication. Why stop there. Every Macdonalds to have bilingual menus on the drive thru, bilingual price lists for drinks in pubs to see how much your lager is or bilingual advertising papers advertising Aldi and Lidl offers. But obviously there is a cost of translation and extra printing, so anybody CHOOSING to use this option would pay more than the original version. I'm sure they wouldn't mind as it is so important to them. It was mentioned that 107 people nationwide chose to receive national savings correspondence in welsh only. Wouldn't it be funny to see a map with little pins indicating the geography of those 107. I would put money on these pins largely being placed in an area around south wales as most FLUENT welsh speakers further west and north couldn't give a toss as long as they can see how the funds are doing. Small dog with the biggest yap gets heard. Nobody has bothered to attempt to answer my question about bilingual grocery shopping or tyre fitting ( maybe they shop on-line in a welsh language only shop ) so all i can say is that they are either attending an AGM of Menter Iaith Casnewydd. There are probably about 6 who could be eligible from their posts. That could bring the committee to almost 50% increase in members. Wow. Look at that. Welsh IS on the increase after all. Or maybe they are all taking Mervyns tack and are sat there glowering as they read this, itching to type something to rationalise their arguement....oh but they tried that already didn't they and where did we get with the intelligent debate? Thats it....head up the bum i think it was. Or maybe they just feel too polite to comment and have retreated back into the little circle to mumble welsh where they won't upset any english speakers. All 86% of us.
Maybe thats the next step in their world domination plans llanmartinangel. The argus should have a bilingual copy available for all additions every publication. Why stop there. Every Macdonalds to have bilingual menus on the drive thru, bilingual price lists for drinks in pubs to see how much your lager is or bilingual advertising papers advertising Aldi and Lidl offers. But obviously there is a cost of translation and extra printing, so anybody CHOOSING to use this option would pay more than the original version. I'm sure they wouldn't mind as it is so important to them. It was mentioned that 107 people nationwide chose to receive national savings correspondence in welsh only. Wouldn't it be funny to see a map with little pins indicating the geography of those 107. I would put money on these pins largely being placed in an area around south wales as most FLUENT welsh speakers further west and north couldn't give a toss as long as they can see how the funds are doing. Small dog with the biggest yap gets heard. Nobody has bothered to attempt to answer my question about bilingual grocery shopping or tyre fitting ( maybe they shop on-line in a welsh language only shop ) so all i can say is that they are either attending an AGM of Menter Iaith Casnewydd. There are probably about 6 who could be eligible from their posts. That could bring the committee to almost 50% increase in members. Wow. Look at that. Welsh IS on the increase after all. Or maybe they are all taking Mervyns tack and are sat there glowering as they read this, itching to type something to rationalise their arguement....oh but they tried that already didn't they and where did we get with the intelligent debate? Thats it....head up the bum i think it was. Or maybe they just feel too polite to comment and have retreated back into the little circle to mumble welsh where they won't upset any english speakers. All 86% of us. landyman3030
  • Score: 5

8:43am Wed 30 Apr 14

landyman3030 says...

The sad thing is that for all this showboating from either view point, things haven't changed. My children still spend hours a week learning welsh, the council still gets villified for not being truly billingual and criminal damage is caused by protesters in Cardiff. Does anybody remember the Owain Glyndwr boys in the seventies burning holiday homes for fear of house prices and watering down of welshness? That got everybody far didn't it. The only guarantee with this type of enforced indoctrination of a language in parts of Wales where it is not wanted is that it will cost money. That has to come from existing public funds that get reduced daily. The kids lose at the end of it. How sad.
The sad thing is that for all this showboating from either view point, things haven't changed. My children still spend hours a week learning welsh, the council still gets villified for not being truly billingual and criminal damage is caused by protesters in Cardiff. Does anybody remember the Owain Glyndwr boys in the seventies burning holiday homes for fear of house prices and watering down of welshness? That got everybody far didn't it. The only guarantee with this type of enforced indoctrination of a language in parts of Wales where it is not wanted is that it will cost money. That has to come from existing public funds that get reduced daily. The kids lose at the end of it. How sad. landyman3030
  • Score: 5

9:35am Wed 30 Apr 14

Llanmartinangel says...

Mervyn James wrote:
Llanmartinangel wrote:
landyman3030 wrote:
throwy1 wrote:
Yes Welsh is alive and used in South east wales. why have some posters never heard it used/ Quite simply because they don't or can't speak the language those in their circle who can don't do so out of politeness
Funny that. I always thought the reason a welsh speaker didn't speak welsh to an english speaker was the simple fact that it saved them having to repeat themselves after the english speaker said pardon! Would you speak cornish in cornwall and really expect any other response than 'wassat'? It turns out the real reason is because of social graces. Thanks for putting me straight on that one Throwy1. By your own statement then using the official figures 86% of the welsh population will never hear welsh language because they haven't got welsh skills (i have by the way because i can count to 3) and the 14% that are are just too **** polite to mention it. My circle, unike some sad people who have hundreds of friends on well known social media sites, includes everybody that i encounter from eyes open to eyes closed. If i heard welsh anywhere i would say so, but the fact is that i honestly cannot remember hearing spoken welsh outside of my childrens school where the indoctrination takes place. Can i ask a serious question to bilingual people who read this. As it is so important to have a welsh speaking point of contact in the council contact centre and in every department so that you may converse in welsh, do you ask for a welsh speaker at the till in Asda or the person fitting your new tyre in Kwik Fit to be bilingual? it might sound like a facetious question but i assure you i am very interested in the answer.
'Funny that. I always thought the reason a welsh speaker didn't speak welsh to an english speaker was the simple fact that it saved them having to repeat themselves after the english speaker said pardon!'

It's precisely why the letter's author chose to write it in English. Not a lot of Welsh publications to write to is there and not a lot of point to addressing people in Monmouthshire in Welsh.
Not so, one reason we don't write in welsh to the Argus is because of editorial policy mainly, if readers would like responses in welsh.......
Isn't that like the old joke? If you want to keep something a secret, broadcast it on S4C. He wrote to the Argus, an English language paper, precisely because there is no viable Welsh publication. And if there was we all know precisely what the readership would be - zilch. Even if it was given away free.
[quote][p][bold]Mervyn James[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]landyman3030[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]throwy1[/bold] wrote: Yes Welsh is alive and used in South east wales. why have some posters never heard it used/ Quite simply because they don't or can't speak the language those in their circle who can don't do so out of politeness[/p][/quote]Funny that. I always thought the reason a welsh speaker didn't speak welsh to an english speaker was the simple fact that it saved them having to repeat themselves after the english speaker said pardon! Would you speak cornish in cornwall and really expect any other response than 'wassat'? It turns out the real reason is because of social graces. Thanks for putting me straight on that one Throwy1. By your own statement then using the official figures 86% of the welsh population will never hear welsh language because they haven't got welsh skills (i have by the way because i can count to 3) and the 14% that are are just too **** polite to mention it. My circle, unike some sad people who have hundreds of friends on well known social media sites, includes everybody that i encounter from eyes open to eyes closed. If i heard welsh anywhere i would say so, but the fact is that i honestly cannot remember hearing spoken welsh outside of my childrens school where the indoctrination takes place. Can i ask a serious question to bilingual people who read this. As it is so important to have a welsh speaking point of contact in the council contact centre and in every department so that you may converse in welsh, do you ask for a welsh speaker at the till in Asda or the person fitting your new tyre in Kwik Fit to be bilingual? it might sound like a facetious question but i assure you i am very interested in the answer.[/p][/quote]'Funny that. I always thought the reason a welsh speaker didn't speak welsh to an english speaker was the simple fact that it saved them having to repeat themselves after the english speaker said pardon!' It's precisely why the letter's author chose to write it in English. Not a lot of Welsh publications to write to is there and not a lot of point to addressing people in Monmouthshire in Welsh.[/p][/quote]Not so, one reason we don't write in welsh to the Argus is because of editorial policy mainly, if readers would like responses in welsh.......[/p][/quote]Isn't that like the old joke? If you want to keep something a secret, broadcast it on S4C. He wrote to the Argus, an English language paper, precisely because there is no viable Welsh publication. And if there was we all know precisely what the readership would be - zilch. Even if it was given away free. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 8

11:27am Wed 30 Apr 14

landyman3030 says...

Morning Merv. Lovely morning.
Morning Merv. Lovely morning. landyman3030
  • Score: 5

12:29pm Wed 30 Apr 14

altom23 says...

I will not comment on any of the above as some posters here must be living in a different world to me.
But please just look at the following websites for some of the welsh activities in Gwent
http://learnwelsh.co
leggwent.ac.uk/
http://www.menteriai
thcasnewydd.org/
http://menterbgtm.or
g/
and for our daily news
http://www.golwg360.
com/newyddion
I will not comment on any of the above as some posters here must be living in a different world to me. But please just look at the following websites for some of the welsh activities in Gwent http://learnwelsh.co leggwent.ac.uk/ http://www.menteriai thcasnewydd.org/ http://menterbgtm.or g/ and for our daily news http://www.golwg360. com/newyddion altom23
  • Score: -7

12:56pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Llanmartinangel says...

altom23 wrote:
I will not comment on any of the above as some posters here must be living in a different world to me.
But please just look at the following websites for some of the welsh activities in Gwent
http://learnwelsh.co

leggwent.ac.uk/
http://www.menteriai

thcasnewydd.org/
http://menterbgtm.or

g/
and for our daily news
http://www.golwg360.

com/newyddion
Well Golwg 360 is in receipt of yet another Welsh assembly taxpayer supplied bung. Do none of the minority media/festivals fund themselves from actual users?
[quote][p][bold]altom23[/bold] wrote: I will not comment on any of the above as some posters here must be living in a different world to me. But please just look at the following websites for some of the welsh activities in Gwent http://learnwelsh.co leggwent.ac.uk/ http://www.menteriai thcasnewydd.org/ http://menterbgtm.or g/ and for our daily news http://www.golwg360. com/newyddion[/p][/quote]Well Golwg 360 is in receipt of yet another Welsh assembly taxpayer supplied bung. Do none of the minority media/festivals fund themselves from actual users? Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 9

2:52pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Llanmartinangel says...

altom23 wrote:
I will not comment on any of the above as some posters here must be living in a different world to me.
But please just look at the following websites for some of the welsh activities in Gwent
http://learnwelsh.co

leggwent.ac.uk/
http://www.menteriai

thcasnewydd.org/
http://menterbgtm.or

g/
and for our daily news
http://www.golwg360.

com/newyddion
In fact all of those links carry the WAG logo or funded by WAG (which makes it look like it's their money, not ours, incidentally), somewhere on the site, so all are being funded by the taxpayer to some extent if not entirely. Yet you would all have the rest of us believe that the 'Welsh' thing costs next to nothing. Clearly not so.
[quote][p][bold]altom23[/bold] wrote: I will not comment on any of the above as some posters here must be living in a different world to me. But please just look at the following websites for some of the welsh activities in Gwent http://learnwelsh.co leggwent.ac.uk/ http://www.menteriai thcasnewydd.org/ http://menterbgtm.or g/ and for our daily news http://www.golwg360. com/newyddion[/p][/quote]In fact all of those links carry the WAG logo or funded by WAG (which makes it look like it's their money, not ours, incidentally), somewhere on the site, so all are being funded by the taxpayer to some extent if not entirely. Yet you would all have the rest of us believe that the 'Welsh' thing costs next to nothing. Clearly not so. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 8

5:39pm Wed 30 Apr 14

jimmytheone2 says...

Llanmartinangel wrote:
altom23 wrote:
Llanmartinangel wrote:
Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.
Just about one thing we can now all depend on in in this life of reading the Argus comments is that of Llanmartinangel negative comments regarding the Welsh language!
I didn't say anything negative, I stated the facts. Care to refute the National Savings one or would you like the link?
You don't know anything other than negative. You're a stuck record, oh so predictable and a sad sack. Apart from that you're ok.
[quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]altom23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.[/p][/quote]Just about one thing we can now all depend on in in this life of reading the Argus comments is that of Llanmartinangel negative comments regarding the Welsh language![/p][/quote]I didn't say anything negative, I stated the facts. Care to refute the National Savings one or would you like the link?[/p][/quote]You don't know anything other than negative. You're a stuck record, oh so predictable and a sad sack. Apart from that you're ok. jimmytheone2
  • Score: -4

5:45pm Wed 30 Apr 14

jimmytheone2 says...

Banjalucka wrote:
Polerkev - don't understand your point. No-one on here has said they hate Wales or the language. The cost and forced usage by a few is the problem.
Forced usage??? I think you misunderstand the whole argument here if that is your understanding of this issue. And that probably explains why your comments are as they are - not worth a gnat's arse.
Try and see things from another perspective once in a while. Take off your blinkers. Think for once in your life. Big ask I know.

.
[quote][p][bold]Banjalucka[/bold] wrote: Polerkev - don't understand your point. No-one on here has said they hate Wales or the language. The cost and forced usage by a few is the problem.[/p][/quote]Forced usage??? I think you misunderstand the whole argument here if that is your understanding of this issue. And that probably explains why your comments are as they are - not worth a gnat's arse. Try and see things from another perspective once in a while. Take off your blinkers. Think for once in your life. Big ask I know. . jimmytheone2
  • Score: -6

5:48pm Wed 30 Apr 14

Llanmartinangel says...

jimmytheone2 wrote:
Llanmartinangel wrote:
altom23 wrote:
Llanmartinangel wrote:
Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.
Just about one thing we can now all depend on in in this life of reading the Argus comments is that of Llanmartinangel negative comments regarding the Welsh language!
I didn't say anything negative, I stated the facts. Care to refute the National Savings one or would you like the link?
You don't know anything other than negative. You're a stuck record, oh so predictable and a sad sack. Apart from that you're ok.
A highly analytical post. Not. Facts deserted you have they?
[quote][p][bold]jimmytheone2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]altom23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.[/p][/quote]Just about one thing we can now all depend on in in this life of reading the Argus comments is that of Llanmartinangel negative comments regarding the Welsh language![/p][/quote]I didn't say anything negative, I stated the facts. Care to refute the National Savings one or would you like the link?[/p][/quote]You don't know anything other than negative. You're a stuck record, oh so predictable and a sad sack. Apart from that you're ok.[/p][/quote]A highly analytical post. Not. Facts deserted you have they? Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 7

6:49am Thu 1 May 14

scraptheWAG says...

Llanmartinangel wrote:
jimmytheone2 wrote:
Llanmartinangel wrote:
altom23 wrote:
Llanmartinangel wrote:
Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.
Just about one thing we can now all depend on in in this life of reading the Argus comments is that of Llanmartinangel negative comments regarding the Welsh language!
I didn't say anything negative, I stated the facts. Care to refute the National Savings one or would you like the link?
You don't know anything other than negative. You're a stuck record, oh so predictable and a sad sack. Apart from that you're ok.
A highly analytical post. Not. Facts deserted you have they?
the best solution would be to take the NI numbers of all the welsh language fans and bill the extra cost to them - I suspect most who support this crap dont work
[quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jimmytheone2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]altom23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.[/p][/quote]Just about one thing we can now all depend on in in this life of reading the Argus comments is that of Llanmartinangel negative comments regarding the Welsh language![/p][/quote]I didn't say anything negative, I stated the facts. Care to refute the National Savings one or would you like the link?[/p][/quote]You don't know anything other than negative. You're a stuck record, oh so predictable and a sad sack. Apart from that you're ok.[/p][/quote]A highly analytical post. Not. Facts deserted you have they?[/p][/quote]the best solution would be to take the NI numbers of all the welsh language fans and bill the extra cost to them - I suspect most who support this crap dont work scraptheWAG
  • Score: 8

9:24am Thu 1 May 14

altom23 says...

scraptheWAG wrote:
Llanmartinangel wrote:
jimmytheone2 wrote:
Llanmartinangel wrote:
altom23 wrote:
Llanmartinangel wrote:
Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.
Just about one thing we can now all depend on in in this life of reading the Argus comments is that of Llanmartinangel negative comments regarding the Welsh language!
I didn't say anything negative, I stated the facts. Care to refute the National Savings one or would you like the link?
You don't know anything other than negative. You're a stuck record, oh so predictable and a sad sack. Apart from that you're ok.
A highly analytical post. Not. Facts deserted you have they?
the best solution would be to take the NI numbers of all the welsh language fans and bill the extra cost to them - I suspect most who support this crap dont work
And for you scraptheWag why not go a little further because that is what you really want to do is to place a "Star" on our clothes and paint Swastikas on our doors showing we are able to speak Welsh!
[quote][p][bold]scraptheWAG[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jimmytheone2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]altom23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.[/p][/quote]Just about one thing we can now all depend on in in this life of reading the Argus comments is that of Llanmartinangel negative comments regarding the Welsh language![/p][/quote]I didn't say anything negative, I stated the facts. Care to refute the National Savings one or would you like the link?[/p][/quote]You don't know anything other than negative. You're a stuck record, oh so predictable and a sad sack. Apart from that you're ok.[/p][/quote]A highly analytical post. Not. Facts deserted you have they?[/p][/quote]the best solution would be to take the NI numbers of all the welsh language fans and bill the extra cost to them - I suspect most who support this crap dont work[/p][/quote]And for you scraptheWag why not go a little further because that is what you really want to do is to place a "Star" on our clothes and paint Swastikas on our doors showing we are able to speak Welsh! altom23
  • Score: -8

1:09pm Thu 1 May 14

landyman3030 says...

That is a disgusting comparison and you know it.
That is a disgusting comparison and you know it. landyman3030
  • Score: 8

1:49pm Thu 1 May 14

landyman3030 says...

Yet again relevant opposition is called 'repeated negativity' and daring to offer a difference of opinion is 'stuck record' or 'comments not worth a gnats posterior position.'
Now we have somebody daring to insinuate the disgusting comparison of the torture and murder of MILLIONS of people by an over bearing organisation. Seriously that is sick.
You say we do not understand the point made in the original letter regarding the provision of welsh speakers in local government at all levels so that welsh speakers may communicate in the welsh language if they so wish. Right or wrong?
So i'll ask the question again.
Does anybody request or protest their right for welsh speaking service at the cinema, petrol forecourt, local supermarket, bakery when they are being served? Does ANYBODY refuse to deal in the english language in ANY situation mentioned above or anywhere else?
I await any answers with slightly bated breath to see if anybody will speak the truth or respond with anything other than a personal dig or a generalism about 'how we lot deserve better cos we're downtrodden and ignored'.
Yet again relevant opposition is called 'repeated negativity' and daring to offer a difference of opinion is 'stuck record' or 'comments not worth a gnats posterior position.' Now we have somebody daring to insinuate the disgusting comparison of the torture and murder of MILLIONS of people by an over bearing organisation. Seriously that is sick. You say we do not understand the point made in the original letter regarding the provision of welsh speakers in local government at all levels so that welsh speakers may communicate in the welsh language if they so wish. Right or wrong? So i'll ask the question again. Does anybody request or protest their right for welsh speaking service at the cinema, petrol forecourt, local supermarket, bakery when they are being served? Does ANYBODY refuse to deal in the english language in ANY situation mentioned above or anywhere else? I await any answers with slightly bated breath to see if anybody will speak the truth or respond with anything other than a personal dig or a generalism about 'how we lot deserve better cos we're downtrodden and ignored'. landyman3030
  • Score: 8

3:21pm Thu 1 May 14

Llanmartinangel says...

landyman3030 wrote:
Yet again relevant opposition is called 'repeated negativity' and daring to offer a difference of opinion is 'stuck record' or 'comments not worth a gnats posterior position.'
Now we have somebody daring to insinuate the disgusting comparison of the torture and murder of MILLIONS of people by an over bearing organisation. Seriously that is sick.
You say we do not understand the point made in the original letter regarding the provision of welsh speakers in local government at all levels so that welsh speakers may communicate in the welsh language if they so wish. Right or wrong?
So i'll ask the question again.
Does anybody request or protest their right for welsh speaking service at the cinema, petrol forecourt, local supermarket, bakery when they are being served? Does ANYBODY refuse to deal in the english language in ANY situation mentioned above or anywhere else?
I await any answers with slightly bated breath to see if anybody will speak the truth or respond with anything other than a personal dig or a generalism about 'how we lot deserve better cos we're downtrodden and ignored'.
The 'nazi' slur is a default comment on here, normally by people to whom the use of facts, analysis or even persuasive argument is foreign territory. It's been used on subjects as diverse as gay marriage, the EU debate, and benefits policy. What is amusing is that no-one posting is anti-Welsh, just anti compulsory Welsh education, for kids, regardless of parental wishes, and 'scattergun' spending of taxpayers money in vast sums, on ineffective language initiatives.
[quote][p][bold]landyman3030[/bold] wrote: Yet again relevant opposition is called 'repeated negativity' and daring to offer a difference of opinion is 'stuck record' or 'comments not worth a gnats posterior position.' Now we have somebody daring to insinuate the disgusting comparison of the torture and murder of MILLIONS of people by an over bearing organisation. Seriously that is sick. You say we do not understand the point made in the original letter regarding the provision of welsh speakers in local government at all levels so that welsh speakers may communicate in the welsh language if they so wish. Right or wrong? So i'll ask the question again. Does anybody request or protest their right for welsh speaking service at the cinema, petrol forecourt, local supermarket, bakery when they are being served? Does ANYBODY refuse to deal in the english language in ANY situation mentioned above or anywhere else? I await any answers with slightly bated breath to see if anybody will speak the truth or respond with anything other than a personal dig or a generalism about 'how we lot deserve better cos we're downtrodden and ignored'.[/p][/quote]The 'nazi' slur is a default comment on here, normally by people to whom the use of facts, analysis or even persuasive argument is foreign territory. It's been used on subjects as diverse as gay marriage, the EU debate, and benefits policy. What is amusing is that no-one posting is anti-Welsh, just anti compulsory Welsh education, for kids, regardless of parental wishes, and 'scattergun' spending of taxpayers money in vast sums, on ineffective language initiatives. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 9

3:54pm Thu 1 May 14

landyman3030 says...

Unfortunately Llanmartinangel that was exactly the position and view that was trying to be explained in posting on the other welsh language letter that was commented on by 50 postings to date. And where did we get with that................
.........quiet here isn't it..................
...................a
nd relax.
The WAG has announced today that WE are going to fund 15 schools across Gwent to try and bring them up to standard acceptable under the Welsh Assembly Governments Improvement Programme For Schools Operating In Challenging Circumstances. The spokesman said on the radio (Radio Wales, i might add, i very rarely listen to anything else Mervyn ), that after TWO years of this extra support we can EXPECT game changing results. His words not mine.
Some of these are brand new schools and some are over 100 years old. Some are in normal or even affluent areas and some are in more challenging surroundings shall we say.
So what's the underlying problem that is failing our children after SO MANY YEARS of mis-management and interference by politicians and quangos and think tanks appointed by the political quangos?
Just what exactly is going on in our schools to our children now, today, right this minute?????
Which is the question we as responsible parents should be asking instead of mooning about moaning because i can't speak to somebody about my street light not working in Welsh.
Fact - millions of pounds has been thrown at teaching the Welsh Language in over the decade that it has been more fashionable.
The outcome is less people speak it now then ever in public life and business. Refer back to the programme mentioned in the other letter or look at the figures for FLUENT WELSH per capita population in Gwent.
Read the census for immigration in Gwent ( which is years out of date and out of touch with reality .)
Fluent Welsh speakers are the minority by a long way in Gwent.
Come back with a reasonable debate or ignore the truth like ole Merv and his pals.
Unfortunately Llanmartinangel that was exactly the position and view that was trying to be explained in posting on the other welsh language letter that was commented on by 50 postings to date. And where did we get with that................ .........quiet here isn't it.................. ...................a nd relax. The WAG has announced today that WE are going to fund 15 schools across Gwent to try and bring them up to standard acceptable under the Welsh Assembly Governments Improvement Programme For Schools Operating In Challenging Circumstances. The spokesman said on the radio (Radio Wales, i might add, i very rarely listen to anything else Mervyn ), that after TWO years of this extra support we can EXPECT game changing results. His words not mine. Some of these are brand new schools and some are over 100 years old. Some are in normal or even affluent areas and some are in more challenging surroundings shall we say. So what's the underlying problem that is failing our children after SO MANY YEARS of mis-management and interference by politicians and quangos and think tanks appointed by the political quangos? Just what exactly is going on in our schools to our children now, today, right this minute????? Which is the question we as responsible parents should be asking instead of mooning about moaning because i can't speak to somebody about my street light not working in Welsh. Fact - millions of pounds has been thrown at teaching the Welsh Language in over the decade that it has been more fashionable. The outcome is less people speak it now then ever in public life and business. Refer back to the programme mentioned in the other letter or look at the figures for FLUENT WELSH per capita population in Gwent. Read the census for immigration in Gwent ( which is years out of date and out of touch with reality .) Fluent Welsh speakers are the minority by a long way in Gwent. Come back with a reasonable debate or ignore the truth like ole Merv and his pals. landyman3030
  • Score: 11

5:02pm Thu 1 May 14

Stevenboy says...

altom23 wrote:
scraptheWAG wrote:
Llanmartinangel wrote:
jimmytheone2 wrote:
Llanmartinangel wrote:
altom23 wrote:
Llanmartinangel wrote:
Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.
Just about one thing we can now all depend on in in this life of reading the Argus comments is that of Llanmartinangel negative comments regarding the Welsh language!
I didn't say anything negative, I stated the facts. Care to refute the National Savings one or would you like the link?
You don't know anything other than negative. You're a stuck record, oh so predictable and a sad sack. Apart from that you're ok.
A highly analytical post. Not. Facts deserted you have they?
the best solution would be to take the NI numbers of all the welsh language fans and bill the extra cost to them - I suspect most who support this crap dont work
And for you scraptheWag why not go a little further because that is what you really want to do is to place a "Star" on our clothes and paint Swastikas on our doors showing we are able to speak Welsh!
What? I'm struggling to see your ludicrous parallel of comparing a minority who have a bottomless pit of public cash being spent on their wet dream hobby, with any kind of persecuted minority. Come up with something a little less stupid for pity's sake.
[quote][p][bold]altom23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]scraptheWAG[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jimmytheone2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]altom23[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: Then perhaps you can explain how, in over forty years of living here (apart from three at Uni), I've NEVER heard it spoken by anyone of any age. Not one word. Not in the gym, pub, cinema, swimming pool, shop or street. Yet you are suggesting that this is some kind of statistical anomaly? To put that in perspective, I hear Polish spoken every day, particularly in the changing room. There are lies, damned lies and statistics. Presumably you have a viable explanation for the only 107 National Savings customers in ALL of Wales electing to deal in Welsh? I'll bet not.[/p][/quote]Just about one thing we can now all depend on in in this life of reading the Argus comments is that of Llanmartinangel negative comments regarding the Welsh language![/p][/quote]I didn't say anything negative, I stated the facts. Care to refute the National Savings one or would you like the link?[/p][/quote]You don't know anything other than negative. You're a stuck record, oh so predictable and a sad sack. Apart from that you're ok.[/p][/quote]A highly analytical post. Not. Facts deserted you have they?[/p][/quote]the best solution would be to take the NI numbers of all the welsh language fans and bill the extra cost to them - I suspect most who support this crap dont work[/p][/quote]And for you scraptheWag why not go a little further because that is what you really want to do is to place a "Star" on our clothes and paint Swastikas on our doors showing we are able to speak Welsh![/p][/quote]What? I'm struggling to see your ludicrous parallel of comparing a minority who have a bottomless pit of public cash being spent on their wet dream hobby, with any kind of persecuted minority. Come up with something a little less stupid for pity's sake. Stevenboy
  • Score: 10

7:29pm Thu 1 May 14

landyman3030 says...

Shhh..........listen
..........can you hear it...........Silenci
o! (Hey look at that, I've got Spanish skills. I wonder what percentage of Wales population have Spanish skills? Not fluent mind, just skills.)
As I was saying, it's gone all quiet. All having a party around Mervyns maybe!!! In their circle where nobody says nasty, awful things about them. Never mind. Just gotta pop down to the Polski Sklep for some euro fizz and......wow I've got Polish skills to.........I wonder.....
Shhh..........listen ..........can you hear it...........Silenci o! (Hey look at that, I've got Spanish skills. I wonder what percentage of Wales population have Spanish skills? Not fluent mind, just skills.) As I was saying, it's gone all quiet. All having a party around Mervyns maybe!!! In their circle where nobody says nasty, awful things about them. Never mind. Just gotta pop down to the Polski Sklep for some euro fizz and......wow I've got Polish skills to.........I wonder..... landyman3030
  • Score: 8

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree