Gaza solidarity

First published in Letters

ALL over Britain, the bombing of Gaza has brought people out on the streets.

Cardiff city centre held a large rally and a spontaneous march through the main shopping street to protest against the continuing bombardment. News of 150 deaths and 1,000-plus injuries led urgency to the call to stop the slaughter.

We had had a message from the head of Gaza’s Childrens’ Hospital, Dr Mona el Farra, telling us of the desperate situation there. She was forced to leave her bomb damaged home because of the continuing danger.

Many families have now been made homeless, but there are no safe shelters from the bombs. Hospitals and clinics are unable to cope with the number of dead and injured. In response to Mona’s appeal, a collection was made for medical aid.

A young Palestinian woman told us: “My home in Gaza is a prison with no way in or out. Like Israel, do we not have the right to defend our people from daily attacks?

“We have suffered 50 years of military occupation, our land and water stolen, thousands killed and injured or made homeless. But one day, even if it takes another 50 years, Palestine will be free.”

Ray Davies, Vice Chair, CND Cymru

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:03pm Wed 16 Jul 14

welshmen says...

Tell Hamas to stop firing Rockets into Israel, and all Israeli attacks stop, they had a chance of a cease fire, the Israeli's stopped, but the Cowards hiding behind civilians fired another 33 more rockets into Israel before Israel returned fire, Hamas have broken all cease fires, what do you really expect to happen, Israel is a Sovereign State, no terrorist organisation like Hamas or any other will beat Israel, all Hamas do is make sure they kill civilians both Palestinians and Israeli's, they fire Rockets from civilian houses, Mosques, and any ware the returning Israeli fire will kill more innocent Palestinians, then get the Media there for the Hamas propaganda machine, just like this letter from ban the bomb man....
Tell Hamas to stop firing Rockets into Israel, and all Israeli attacks stop, they had a chance of a cease fire, the Israeli's stopped, but the Cowards hiding behind civilians fired another 33 more rockets into Israel before Israel returned fire, Hamas have broken all cease fires, what do you really expect to happen, Israel is a Sovereign State, no terrorist organisation like Hamas or any other will beat Israel, all Hamas do is make sure they kill civilians both Palestinians and Israeli's, they fire Rockets from civilian houses, Mosques, and any ware the returning Israeli fire will kill more innocent Palestinians, then get the Media there for the Hamas propaganda machine, just like this letter from ban the bomb man.... welshmen
  • Score: 11

4:08pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Good Job No Kids says...

The Hamas propaganda wagon is well and truly at work on the argus lol.
The Hamas propaganda wagon is well and truly at work on the argus lol. Good Job No Kids
  • Score: 9

7:59pm Wed 16 Jul 14

Katie Re-Registered says...

On that note, I don't have any problem with legitimate criticism of the actions of Israel, but some of the posts that have been appearing in the Argus such as those which repeat ridiculously repugnant far-right anti-Semitic conspiracy theories that Jewish people control Wall Street and the President of the United States certainly have no place in any serious discussion of the Israel-Palestine conflict or in any reputable and reasonable news publication.
On that note, I don't have any problem with legitimate criticism of the actions of Israel, but some of the posts that have been appearing in the Argus such as those which repeat ridiculously repugnant far-right anti-Semitic conspiracy theories that Jewish people control Wall Street and the President of the United States certainly have no place in any serious discussion of the Israel-Palestine conflict or in any reputable and reasonable news publication. Katie Re-Registered
  • Score: 3

9:31pm Thu 17 Jul 14

hursthill says...

Not 1 mention in the article that Hamas has fired over 1,000 rockets this week at Israel !!!

Israel has no territorial claims to Gaza. It is Hamas that wants to steal Israel's land, impose their racist apartheid ideology on Israel, banning Trade unions, persecuting Gays, & treating women as 2nd class citizens.

Hamas refused to accept a cease fire, agreed by the UN & Arab League, because they want to try & kill Israeli civilians - that is their stated policy, as well as eradicating Israel - as stated in their constitution.

Now is the time for Wales to show Solidarity with Israel.
Not 1 mention in the article that Hamas has fired over 1,000 rockets this week at Israel !!! Israel has no territorial claims to Gaza. It is Hamas that wants to steal Israel's land, impose their racist apartheid ideology on Israel, banning Trade unions, persecuting Gays, & treating women as 2nd class citizens. Hamas refused to accept a cease fire, agreed by the UN & Arab League, because they want to try & kill Israeli civilians - that is their stated policy, as well as eradicating Israel - as stated in their constitution. Now is the time for Wales to show Solidarity with Israel. hursthill
  • Score: 6

8:41am Fri 18 Jul 14

mrleebob says...

The biggest difference between Israel and Palestine is that one of them has the unconditional backing of the USA. To deny that would be naive.
The biggest difference between Israel and Palestine is that one of them has the unconditional backing of the USA. To deny that would be naive. mrleebob
  • Score: -6

10:03am Fri 18 Jul 14

hursthill says...

mrleebob wrote:
The biggest difference between Israel and Palestine is that one of them has the unconditional backing of the USA. To deny that would be naive.
What a rubbish comment !!

France, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Norway all have unconditional backing from USA.

Hamas is guilty of a double war crime, - Firing 1,300 rockets at Israeli civilians, & using Palestinian civilians as human shields to protect it's rockets.

Incidentally over 100 Hamas rockets have landed on Gaza.
[quote][p][bold]mrleebob[/bold] wrote: The biggest difference between Israel and Palestine is that one of them has the unconditional backing of the USA. To deny that would be naive.[/p][/quote]What a rubbish comment !! France, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Norway all have unconditional backing from USA. Hamas is guilty of a double war crime, - Firing 1,300 rockets at Israeli civilians, & using Palestinian civilians as human shields to protect it's rockets. Incidentally over 100 Hamas rockets have landed on Gaza. hursthill
  • Score: 5

1:10pm Fri 18 Jul 14

varteg1 says...

mrleebob wrote:
The biggest difference between Israel and Palestine is that one of them has the unconditional backing of the USA. To deny that would be naive.
No sir,, the biggest difference is, one is a civilised country run by and for, not only it's own civilised people, but for the foundation of the rest of the civilised world, the other is a backward nation, run solely to sate the mental abherrationists, deluded by a religion that decries civilisation, and civilised behaviour, as it tries to enforce that religion on all around it and beyond.

I know of little in the way of civilising influence that comes out of Gaza, other the rest of the Muslim world,

When, if ever it can show it is able to match Israel and the diasporic Jews of this world, I may be persuaded to alter my view of both Gaza, and Islam in general.

I will have a very long wait I suggest.
[quote][p][bold]mrleebob[/bold] wrote: The biggest difference between Israel and Palestine is that one of them has the unconditional backing of the USA. To deny that would be naive.[/p][/quote]No sir,, the biggest difference is, one is a civilised country run by and for, not only it's own civilised people, but for the foundation of the rest of the civilised world, the other is a backward nation, run solely to sate the mental abherrationists, deluded by a religion that decries civilisation, and civilised behaviour, as it tries to enforce that religion on all around it and beyond. I know of little in the way of civilising influence that comes out of Gaza, other the rest of the Muslim world, When, if ever it can show it is able to match Israel and the diasporic Jews of this world, I may be persuaded to alter my view of both Gaza, and Islam in general. I will have a very long wait I suggest. varteg1
  • Score: 2

7:35pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Mervyn James says...

welshmen wrote:
Tell Hamas to stop firing Rockets into Israel, and all Israeli attacks stop, they had a chance of a cease fire, the Israeli's stopped, but the Cowards hiding behind civilians fired another 33 more rockets into Israel before Israel returned fire, Hamas have broken all cease fires, what do you really expect to happen, Israel is a Sovereign State, no terrorist organisation like Hamas or any other will beat Israel, all Hamas do is make sure they kill civilians both Palestinians and Israeli's, they fire Rockets from civilian houses, Mosques, and any ware the returning Israeli fire will kill more innocent Palestinians, then get the Media there for the Hamas propaganda machine, just like this letter from ban the bomb man....
Tell Israel to cease its land grab and return stolen land to the Palestinians. How can Palestine stop Israeli expansionism ? A few short range rockets against the nuclear capabilities of Israel ? funny they seem a bit angry Iran wants what they have already got, nuclear power. One rule for them, another for everyone else ?
[quote][p][bold]welshmen[/bold] wrote: Tell Hamas to stop firing Rockets into Israel, and all Israeli attacks stop, they had a chance of a cease fire, the Israeli's stopped, but the Cowards hiding behind civilians fired another 33 more rockets into Israel before Israel returned fire, Hamas have broken all cease fires, what do you really expect to happen, Israel is a Sovereign State, no terrorist organisation like Hamas or any other will beat Israel, all Hamas do is make sure they kill civilians both Palestinians and Israeli's, they fire Rockets from civilian houses, Mosques, and any ware the returning Israeli fire will kill more innocent Palestinians, then get the Media there for the Hamas propaganda machine, just like this letter from ban the bomb man....[/p][/quote]Tell Israel to cease its land grab and return stolen land to the Palestinians. How can Palestine stop Israeli expansionism ? A few short range rockets against the nuclear capabilities of Israel ? funny they seem a bit angry Iran wants what they have already got, nuclear power. One rule for them, another for everyone else ? Mervyn James
  • Score: -5

9:28pm Fri 18 Jul 14

welshmen says...

Mervyn James wrote:
welshmen wrote:
Tell Hamas to stop firing Rockets into Israel, and all Israeli attacks stop, they had a chance of a cease fire, the Israeli's stopped, but the Cowards hiding behind civilians fired another 33 more rockets into Israel before Israel returned fire, Hamas have broken all cease fires, what do you really expect to happen, Israel is a Sovereign State, no terrorist organisation like Hamas or any other will beat Israel, all Hamas do is make sure they kill civilians both Palestinians and Israeli's, they fire Rockets from civilian houses, Mosques, and any ware the returning Israeli fire will kill more innocent Palestinians, then get the Media there for the Hamas propaganda machine, just like this letter from ban the bomb man....
Tell Israel to cease its land grab and return stolen land to the Palestinians. How can Palestine stop Israeli expansionism ? A few short range rockets against the nuclear capabilities of Israel ? funny they seem a bit angry Iran wants what they have already got, nuclear power. One rule for them, another for everyone else ?
How did Israel grab land?, where are the boarders that separate Palestine and Israel? why does Hamas keep on with their Terror attacks, you can't discuss peace while being fired upon, many people have tried for decades to broker peace, what would have happened if the Arabs had won the War in 1948? what would the Arabs have done with the Jews?, better people than us have tried and failed with options for peace, opinion is just opinion, peace would be better, those involved have to have more courage than they have now to make the peace happen....
[quote][p][bold]Mervyn James[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]welshmen[/bold] wrote: Tell Hamas to stop firing Rockets into Israel, and all Israeli attacks stop, they had a chance of a cease fire, the Israeli's stopped, but the Cowards hiding behind civilians fired another 33 more rockets into Israel before Israel returned fire, Hamas have broken all cease fires, what do you really expect to happen, Israel is a Sovereign State, no terrorist organisation like Hamas or any other will beat Israel, all Hamas do is make sure they kill civilians both Palestinians and Israeli's, they fire Rockets from civilian houses, Mosques, and any ware the returning Israeli fire will kill more innocent Palestinians, then get the Media there for the Hamas propaganda machine, just like this letter from ban the bomb man....[/p][/quote]Tell Israel to cease its land grab and return stolen land to the Palestinians. How can Palestine stop Israeli expansionism ? A few short range rockets against the nuclear capabilities of Israel ? funny they seem a bit angry Iran wants what they have already got, nuclear power. One rule for them, another for everyone else ?[/p][/quote]How did Israel grab land?, where are the boarders that separate Palestine and Israel? why does Hamas keep on with their Terror attacks, you can't discuss peace while being fired upon, many people have tried for decades to broker peace, what would have happened if the Arabs had won the War in 1948? what would the Arabs have done with the Jews?, better people than us have tried and failed with options for peace, opinion is just opinion, peace would be better, those involved have to have more courage than they have now to make the peace happen.... welshmen
  • Score: 3

11:34am Sun 20 Jul 14

Mervyn James says...

welshmen wrote:
Mervyn James wrote:
welshmen wrote:
Tell Hamas to stop firing Rockets into Israel, and all Israeli attacks stop, they had a chance of a cease fire, the Israeli's stopped, but the Cowards hiding behind civilians fired another 33 more rockets into Israel before Israel returned fire, Hamas have broken all cease fires, what do you really expect to happen, Israel is a Sovereign State, no terrorist organisation like Hamas or any other will beat Israel, all Hamas do is make sure they kill civilians both Palestinians and Israeli's, they fire Rockets from civilian houses, Mosques, and any ware the returning Israeli fire will kill more innocent Palestinians, then get the Media there for the Hamas propaganda machine, just like this letter from ban the bomb man....
Tell Israel to cease its land grab and return stolen land to the Palestinians. How can Palestine stop Israeli expansionism ? A few short range rockets against the nuclear capabilities of Israel ? funny they seem a bit angry Iran wants what they have already got, nuclear power. One rule for them, another for everyone else ?
How did Israel grab land?, where are the boarders that separate Palestine and Israel? why does Hamas keep on with their Terror attacks, you can't discuss peace while being fired upon, many people have tried for decades to broker peace, what would have happened if the Arabs had won the War in 1948? what would the Arabs have done with the Jews?, better people than us have tried and failed with options for peace, opinion is just opinion, peace would be better, those involved have to have more courage than they have now to make the peace happen....
Ideally if no solution can be found leave them to it, but, not enable either side with the weapons, America is arming Israel as is the UK, and the Arab nations are funding Hamas. As one pertinent commentator noted,from the Israeli side is is shooting fish in a barrel, the Palestinians really have no means to retaliate in kind. 2 Israelis dead, but 312 Palestinians, few of them Hamas and mostly women and children. Waging war on women and children isn't 'defending' Israel.
[quote][p][bold]welshmen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mervyn James[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]welshmen[/bold] wrote: Tell Hamas to stop firing Rockets into Israel, and all Israeli attacks stop, they had a chance of a cease fire, the Israeli's stopped, but the Cowards hiding behind civilians fired another 33 more rockets into Israel before Israel returned fire, Hamas have broken all cease fires, what do you really expect to happen, Israel is a Sovereign State, no terrorist organisation like Hamas or any other will beat Israel, all Hamas do is make sure they kill civilians both Palestinians and Israeli's, they fire Rockets from civilian houses, Mosques, and any ware the returning Israeli fire will kill more innocent Palestinians, then get the Media there for the Hamas propaganda machine, just like this letter from ban the bomb man....[/p][/quote]Tell Israel to cease its land grab and return stolen land to the Palestinians. How can Palestine stop Israeli expansionism ? A few short range rockets against the nuclear capabilities of Israel ? funny they seem a bit angry Iran wants what they have already got, nuclear power. One rule for them, another for everyone else ?[/p][/quote]How did Israel grab land?, where are the boarders that separate Palestine and Israel? why does Hamas keep on with their Terror attacks, you can't discuss peace while being fired upon, many people have tried for decades to broker peace, what would have happened if the Arabs had won the War in 1948? what would the Arabs have done with the Jews?, better people than us have tried and failed with options for peace, opinion is just opinion, peace would be better, those involved have to have more courage than they have now to make the peace happen....[/p][/quote]Ideally if no solution can be found leave them to it, but, not enable either side with the weapons, America is arming Israel as is the UK, and the Arab nations are funding Hamas. As one pertinent commentator noted,from the Israeli side is is shooting fish in a barrel, the Palestinians really have no means to retaliate in kind. 2 Israelis dead, but 312 Palestinians, few of them Hamas and mostly women and children. Waging war on women and children isn't 'defending' Israel. Mervyn James
  • Score: -3

12:28pm Sun 20 Jul 14

welshmen says...

Mervyn James says...

"Waging war on women and children isn't 'defending' Israel".

Unfortunately that is War, the innocent get killed in large numbers while the war mongers don't, If Hamas didn't use the Palestinians as human shields the count would be a lot lower, Israel's body count is a lot lower because of their "Iron Dome" defences, If the Palestinians removed Hamas and other Terrorist organisations who have a thirst for continuing the aggression then maybe peace of sorts could be achieved, a long lasting future peace could be thrashed out by an independent Multi/Religious inquiry through the UN and Arab League, but at the end of the day both sides need to want this, courage and lots of it would be required to reach a settlement, give and take, not take and take as is now.

According to the UN, this year alone 5576 civilians have been killed in Iraq by ISSL, this news is not popular with the media to exploit, yet less than 400 hundred war casualties in Gazza and Israel has tens of thousands of supporters marching in London yesterday....are they marching for a caring humanistic world or a Religious tribal caring world?....as ISSL does....
Mervyn James says... "Waging war on women and children isn't 'defending' Israel". Unfortunately that is War, the innocent get killed in large numbers while the war mongers don't, If Hamas didn't use the Palestinians as human shields the count would be a lot lower, Israel's body count is a lot lower because of their "Iron Dome" defences, If the Palestinians removed Hamas and other Terrorist organisations who have a thirst for continuing the aggression then maybe peace of sorts could be achieved, a long lasting future peace could be thrashed out by an independent Multi/Religious inquiry through the UN and Arab League, but at the end of the day both sides need to want this, courage and lots of it would be required to reach a settlement, give and take, not take and take as is now. According to the UN, this year alone 5576 civilians have been killed in Iraq by ISSL, this news is not popular with the media to exploit, yet less than 400 hundred war casualties in Gazza and Israel has tens of thousands of supporters marching in London yesterday....are they marching for a caring humanistic world or a Religious tribal caring world?....as ISSL does.... welshmen
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree